FILM Photographer of the Year 2019 - Discussion

Nowhere does it say that it has to be a live animal! Isn't Edinburgh littered with statues of wee dug's and chaps on horses? Maybe I should pay a visit to Llangollen:

Llangollen1 by Janet, on Flickr

Hmmm, not quite taxidermy but that might have given me an idea.

Well anyone stuck for seeing animals should cycle (or walk) on public footpath across farmer's fields etc....erm some signs say no cycles but there is no one around to stop me. (y)
But I suppose if living in a city that choice is out.

You get deer in the waste ground beside my office but can't see them standing still long enough for me to set up my 54. :D

I hope my entry fits the rules; it was briefly entered for the mystery month, late one night, but by early next morning I realised it broke the rules and deleted it! I got some shots back today from Filmdev that I was hoping would blow this out of the water (literally... cars blasting through the floods on Sunday afternoon, one of the local spectator sports), but they varied from completely ruined to barely tolerable.

I hope my entry fits the rules; it was briefly entered for the mystery month, late one night, but by early next morning I realised it broke the rules and deleted it! I got some shots back today from Filmdev that I was hoping would blow this out of the water (literally... cars blasting through the floods on Sunday afternoon, one of the local spectator sports), but they varied from completely ruined to barely tolerable.
Looks like it fits the rules to me, Chris. (y)

It's also tight at the bottom, indeed sphincter-like!

Well, my efforts with the Contax ilia failed. The faulty vertical alignment in the rangefinder, which I was trying to compensate for in the viewfinder, led to all the images being more or less cr@p on a roll of Ektar, so I had to refer back to other film shooting this year, with few shots to choose from. However I was determined to try, so one of my trusty Pentaxes provided something to enter for Animal.
Now I need to decide whether to get the Contax fixed, because it's a lovely camera, or just have it as a display item. Mmmm.

Now I need to decide whether to get the Contax fixed, because it's a lovely camera, or just have it as a display item. Mmmm.

Please don't just put it on display, get it fixed, it's a quality camera and will be a joy to use once it's been repaired. Send it to Miles (y)

It's a beautiful piece of engineering and seems to work very well except for the rangefinder vertical alignment. I probably will get it sorted out - but need to sort out the finances first!

Next one to test: Contaflex IV.

I decided to use Canadian Film Lab for my entry this month, and posted my film off last Monday which was the day before their last shipment to Canada. If I made it in time then I should have entry for this month, and if not then I can shoehorn it into January :D

Haven't even thought about 2020 yet. Been too busy with other things, haven't picked a camera up since October! :runaway:

I’ve named my December entry “Spirit of F&C” as I feel it sums up my year pretty well. On 13 January I bought an Ensign Selfix 16-20 folder on advice from @kendo1 and @Andysnap as to what type of folder would suit me. It is early 1950s, so about as old as me, and cost all of £20 plus a fiver postage from eBay. It has had several films run through it, while far more expensive kit sat in the cupboard.

I had my problems with the dreaded red window while winding on, and even now I can still fluff the odd frame, but that’s very much a user issue rather than a camera one. Stiff wind-on? Yep, I’ve had that, but Fomapan seems to shoot through very nicely indeed. Levering out the film spindle from the bottom is another issue, but again it’s a case of having a suitable tool to help. Handheld metering I was OK with anyway.

I’ve only shot a couple of rolls of Fomapan 400, and was horrified to see my stock Xtol emerge deep green from the dev tank. @steveo_mcg said it would still be OK, but I only used it for 1 more roll of Fomapan before I chickened out and dumped it. The main thing is that I've had fun doing it, and that's really what it's all about! :):snaphappy:

Last edited:
Did you pre-wash/pre-soak the Fomapan? I've never souped a roll, but I've done quite a few sheets and the pre-wsah comes out deep green, but the HC-110 seems pretty much un-changed.

But, that's a nice story!

Did you pre-wash/pre-soak the Fomapan? I've never souped a roll, but I've done quite a few sheets and the pre-wsah comes out deep green, but the HC-110 seems pretty much un-changed.

But, that's a nice story!
Thanks Chris. No, I hadn't used a pre-wash as I have previously used one-shot developers and only used replenished developer this past year. I'll be pre-washing next time though!

I doubt I'm gonna be able to submit one this month, working in retail around christmas is rather time consuming and leaves me no time for owt else

Only 7 entries? Surely some more people have a shoe-horn or even a crowbar?

Entries close at midnight tomorrow so not long left to take part....

Not sure even a crowbar will make mine fit, Chris!

A lot of alcohol. That's what's needed. Then it'll all make sense!

Ah! The question is, can you find a lot of alcohol between now and 23:59 tomorrow? Surely this must be possible, you young folk are SO resourceful... ;)

@dmb It looks like there might be a problem with your Flickr link. Your picture has been replaced by a cross, although clicking on the file name does bring up the photo. Any chance of sorting it out?

Will re-do the link - <edit> odd that - the link it just gave me is totally different set of numbers - Oh well right picture </edit>.

Last edited:
I'm travelling today so I'll try and put the poll up when I get home tonight.

Back