FILM Photographer of the Year 2019 - Discussion

Name
Janet
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the discussion thread for FILM Photographer of the Year 2019. Please keep all chat in here.

The rules and themes can be found here

Last edited:
Great, an extra couple of days snapping this year!

OTOH it probably means I'll concentrate even less on this November's entry...

Great work, Janet, thanks very much. Did you get a photo of the Top Hat event by any chance? :D

Yes please! They can moan/bitch/whine in this thread!

:) done

to be honest, it's best to keep the setup/rules thread as clean as possilble - and we know that some members (Brian...) will just wibble inanely on at a tangent about Asda Film Processing if we don't make it read-only

Do we need to sign up for this or just take part next year ?

Do we need to sign up for this or just take part next year ?

I certainly just joined in half way through this year; I don't think there is any 'sign up' you just post a picture in the relevant months entry.

I have a question...
Votes

The number of votes that each user is able to use is equal to one third of the number of entries, rounded down. For example, 14 entries means 4 votes, 18 entries means 6 votes, and 23 entries means 7 votes.

Will the number of votes be worked out for those of us who are mathmatically inept? I'd hate to cast too many votes inadvertantly.

I have a question...

Will the number of votes be worked out for those of us who are mathmatically inept? I'd hate to cast too many votes inadvertantly.

Yes, I'll work out the maximum number of votes when we see how many entries there are and limit the poll accordingly.

Talking of voting, is there some way of making sure the requisite number of entries are voted for before the vote can be submitted? If so, do people think that might enhance the 'spirit of the competition'?

Talking of voting, is there some way of making sure the requisite number of entries are voted for before the vote can be submitted? If so, do people think that might enhance the 'spirit of the competition'?
I don't think it can be done. The only voting options are single vote, unlimited votes or up to a maximum number. I can't see a way to force someone to actually use all their votes when maximum is selected.

On a different note, I've just peeked into the Photos from Film subforum for the first time for months. It doesn't look like many of us visit there regularly. I was wondering if it would be in the spirit of TP to have the entries thread (actual photos from film) in there, with the discussion thread here? That might cause more of us to look in there more regularly...

On a different note, I've just peeked into the Photos from Film subforum for the first time for months. It doesn't look like many of us visit there regularly. I was wondering if it would be in the spirit of TP to have the entries thread (actual photos from film) in there, with the discussion thread here? That might cause more of us to look in there more regularly...

The Photos from Film subforum is in the Critique area of Talk Photography so, in my opinion, isn't the right place to have the FPOTY 2019 entry threads. I am planning on keeping them in F&C as per the previous competitions. If anyone wants critique of their entry, they can post the picture up separately in the Photos from Film section at the appropriate time (probably best to do this once voting has closed so that potential voters aren't swayed by other people's opinions).

Or perhaps put the top 3 each month in the Photos from Film subforum, with a link to the competition entries thread (leaving the entries thread in the F&C section)?

This could be done for the last 12 moths too (if someone with more spare time than I've got could take the task on?), it might create a bit more interest in film photography (and the competition) if we did that? What do people think?

Or perhaps put the top 3 each month in the Photos from Film subforum, with a link to the competition entries thread (leaving the entries thread in the F&C section)?

This could be done for the last 12 moths too (if someone with more spare time than I've got could take the task on?), it might create a bit more interest in film photography (and the competition) if we did that? What do people think?

Sorry but that's a definite no from me. There is nothing in the 2018 or 2019 rules that covers that and I wouldn't enter a competition that forced me to accept that any photo I entered could unilaterally be moved into a 'critique' area of the forum for anyone to provide critique / feedback on. Posting a photo, whether a FPOTY entry or not, into a critique area has to be entirely voluntary.

No problem, didn't realise it was a crit section, thought of it more as a gallery. Shows how much I look at it! :LOL:

No problem, didn't realise it was a crit section, thought of it more as a gallery. Shows how much I look at it! :LOL:

EVERYTHING apart from the "photos for pleasure" or "fluffy bunnies" or whatever the hell it's called at the moment, in the "Photos..." section is a critique area... some (most, lots??) people forget that, but it's always been the case.

Talk Film & Conventional is unique (I was going to say unusual, but, well ...) in that the mods allow a lot of photos to be posted, in other "Talk" threads posting a lot of photos is usually frowned upon. The general guidance seems to be that all "Photos" sub-forums are for crit with the exception of Photos for Pleasure, I assume that the proper sub-forum would be Competitions, Community Challenges and Inspiration but if it aint broke, don't fix it

[edit] Cross posted with TheBigYin

Talk Film & Conventional is unique (I was going to say unusual, but, well ...) in that the mods allow a lot of photos to be posted, in other "Talk" threads posting a lot of photos is usually frowned upon. The general guidance seems to be that all "Photos" sub-forums are for crit with the exception of Photos for Pleasure, I assume that the proper sub-forum would be Competitions, Community Challenges and Inspiration but if it aint broke, don't fix it

[edit] Cross posted with TheBigYin

you're spot on - for a number of reasons.

1) we got SOOOO many people who just browsed from the front page of the forum, crashed into a B&W film shot thread and asked to see the Colour version, then got the arse when they were told unceremoniously that it was shot on Acros 100 and there wasn't a colour version.

2) for the first few years I was here, including a couple while I was a mod, there wasn't actually a photo's from film forum setup, and quite a few of the on-going post your shots threads date from before that point.

3) some of hte denizens of this place don't venture outside this section of the forum, so wouldn't see any pictures if there wasn't a little leeway allowed

4) none of the other mods particularly like coming in here, they say it's dark and smells funny.

5) because of 4) this place sort of get's me as it's default moderator (I was a full-time carer for 13 years, so I'm used to dealing with misanthropic geriatrics and the smell of wee), and generally, I CBA moving stuff around if I don't have to

Last edited:
5) because of 4) this place sort of get's me as it's default moderator (I was a full-time carer for 13 years, so I'm used to dealing with misanthropic geriatrics and the smell of wee), and generally, I CBA moving stuff around if I don't have to[/QUOTE]

You taking the p i ss :D

Its under debate in the staff room, one could say that its a mass ...
Never mind :D

I'm pretty sure that it cant be done though.
Thanks for giving the idea some staff room time. (y)

4) none of the other mods particularly like coming in here, they say it's dark and smells funny.

Ah, yes, sorry about that, I ate too many damsons last month! (quick badger joke there!) ;)

Ah, yes, sorry about that, I ate too many damsons last month! (quick badger joke there!) ;)

That's nothing, try feeding them peanuts, honey and little coloured plastic discs and digging for the evidence and sifting through it in the lab a month later, needed a good sniff of fixer to clear out the nose.

@Harlequin565

You rotten g*t, that's my shot blown out of the water:(:D

Back