FILM Photographer of the Year 2019 - Discussion

There's enough admin and stuff I need to do running this competition already! ;)

I think one critique thread running alongside it is fine, in much the same way that there is just one 'The shots that didn't make the cut' thread. There may be months when nobody requests any feedback.

I don't see any reason that once the voting has closed people can't critique on the same thread as the entries; last year rather than just congratulate the winner for the month I added a few extra comments as did some others - surely this would be the 'neatest and tidiest option' for people wanting to critique various entries?

Maybe just a simple line such as....................The winner this month is xxxxx; the thread is now open for comments/critique:

Last edited:
I don't see any reason that once the voting has closed people can't critique on the same thread as the entries; last year rather than just congratulate the winner for the month I added a few extra comments as did some others - surely this would be the 'neatest and tidiest option' for people wanting to critique various entries?

Maybe just a simple line such as....................The winner this month is xxxxx; the thread is now open for comments/critique:

I think it's an interesting idea, but remember not everyone wants to have their photos critiqued. If we go down this route then there needs to be a really obvious way to identify which photos you can critique after the month ends.

It's a dangerous road to go down, and if we start commenting on every photo then I think the number of entries would drop off. It might be better to keep critiques in a separate thread (that Janet has just made) so that the people who aren't interested in getting feedback aren't inadvertently dragged into it all.

Some people do not want critique and wouldn't take part in a competition where entering would automatically open them up to receiving critique. It has be by request only.

I think it's an interesting idea, but remember not everyone wants to have their photos critiqued. If we go down this route then there needs to be a really obvious way to identify which photos you can critique after the month ends.

It's a dangerous road to go down, and if we start commenting on every photo then I think the number of entries would drop off. It might be better to keep critiques in a separate thread (that Janet has just made) so that the people who aren't interested in getting feedback aren't inadvertently dragged into it all.
Some people do not want critique and wouldn't take part in a competition where entering would automatically open them up to receiving critique. It has be by request only.

Snap! ;)

It is difficult!

An entrant usually puts camera/film details with their entry, maybe another line of 'please feel free to comment' could be added.
No comment, no critique
Anyway - just for future years rather than the here and now.

Last edited:
It is difficult!

An entrant usually puts camera/film details with their entry, maybe another line of 'please feel free to comment' could be added.
No comment, no critique
Maybe that could work. It's something for whoever organises it next year (and that won't be me) to think about.

It is difficult!

No comment, no critique
If we went for this then critique should be OPT-IN not OPT-OUT. However a separate thread in an area dedicated to critique would be better for those who want it.

I can see a few issues with commenting in the voting thread. Firstly, sooner or later someone is bound to forget and start commenting before the poll closes. Secondly I think it would just be too tempting to compare and contrast with other photos in the thread which might not be up for crit. Also it’s likely to get fairly messy and hard to track crit comments amongst others (here’s an example from a similar monthly challenge: The Takes On challenge)

If we went for this then critique should be OPT-IN not OPT-OUT. However a separate thread in an area dedicated to critique would be better for those who want it.

A rule added to next years competition:

Entries for each month can be critiqued post the poll closing but only entries where the entrant has specifically indicated in his entry that they wish for this will be allowed.

It might be just me but having lots of different threads reduces traffic and keeping it all in one place makes it simple (for daft buggers like me!)

Good to see a few more entries appearing over the weekend :)
Even better to see some which don't have cameras or other photography paraphernalia in them! :LOL:

Only 4 more days left, entries close at midnight on Thursday 31st January. Maybe I'll have something to enter by then... :rolleyes:

Good to see a few more entries appearing over the weekend :)
Even better to see some which don't have cameras or other photography paraphernalia in them! [emoji38]

Only 4 more days left, entries close at midnight on Thursday 31st January. Maybe I'll have something to enter by then... :rolleyes:
You could ask @Andysnap to borrow a large and small screw from work.

Finishing work at 4 today, so hopefully I'll be able to think of an idea, take a photo, develop, scan and post it by tonight. I'll be a day early then, loads of time! :D

Finishing work at 4 today, so hopefully I'll be able to think of an idea, take a photo, develop, scan and post it by tonight. I'll be a day early then, loads of time! :D
This theme was your suggestion!! :LOL:

Take a photo of little and large bottles of sloe gin....;):D

Last edited:
This theme was your suggestion!! :LOL:

Take a photo of little and large bottles of sloe gin....;):D

Yeah I probably should have suggested a theme that I already had a photo in mind for, I didn’t think very far ahead :LOL:

I’ve taken my entry and developed it, now it’s drying in the bathroom. The roll’s also got my 52 project photo on it which needs to be entered before lunch tomorrow, so I think I’ll have to get up early and scan the roll before work. My own fault I guess! Need to get out this weekend and get an abstract shot in the bag :D

Yeah I probably should have suggested a theme that I already had a photo in mind for, I didn’t think very far ahead :LOL:

I’ve taken my entry and developed it, now it’s drying in the bathroom. The roll’s also got my 52 project photo on it which needs to be entered before lunch tomorrow, so I think I’ll have to get up early and scan the roll before work. My own fault I guess! Need to get out this weekend and get an abstract shot in the bag :D

Good lad Carl - timed to perfection I'd say ;)

Thanks for all your January entries. I've added a poll which closes about 08.20 next Friday morning. Get voting!

Last day for voting everyone. It's very close at the top at the moment.....

Poll closes tomorrow morning :)

Abstract .....AND........odd;

this is bloody difficult!
It's all down to your personal interpretation of the theme. I think it can be read in a couple of ways:

The first is that entries must be both abstract and odd;

The other is that the overall theme encompasses two separate themes, therefore entries may be abstract photos and they may be odd photos ( they could also be both).

Both are perfectly valid interpretations in my opinion.

Last edited:
It's all down to your personal interpretation of the theme. I think it can be read in a couple of ways:

The first is that entries must be both abstract and odd;

The other is that the overall theme encompasses two separate themes, therefore entries may be abstract photos and they may be odd photos ( they could also be both).

Both are perfectly valid interpretations in my opinion.

Janet; The other would have said Abstract......OR.........odd though IMO

Suppose it will be down to the judges decisions; ohhh blimey that's us!

Last edited:
Abstract .....AND........odd;

Yep - it's a toughie. I wanted to do more "Odd" than "Abstract" but my odd isn't abstract at the moment. Need to try again. Plenty of abstract but not odd though.

Janet; The other would have said Abstract......OR.........odd though IMO

Suppose it will be down to the judges decisions; ohhh blimey that's us!
Shoehorn out that "&" and fit in an OR, and you'll be laughing Fraser. Meanwhile, here's one definition from an online dictionary , if that's any help?

2 Relating to or denoting art that does not attempt to represent external reality, but rather seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, colours, and textures.

‘abstract pictures’
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/abstract

Yep - it's a toughie. I wanted to do more "Odd" than "Abstract" but my odd isn't abstract at the moment. Need to try again. Plenty of abstract but not odd though.

Yeap - I'm in the same Boat Ian! I like to interpret the theme and a picture of 'Abstract OR odd' is not bad but 'Abstract AND odd' makes it much tougher IMO.

Well the guy who suggested "abstract and odd" would probably win as he\she must have some idea of their entry...h'mm he\she might post up early so we all get and idea. o_O;)

Back