FILM Photographer of the Year 2019 - Discussion

Two films hanging up to dry - I do hope there is at least something looking like a face.

Put mine up for what it's worth. I really struggled to get motivated for this theme and nearly didn't bother, then I had an idea that turned out to be much harder than I thought and took up much of yesterday and a roll of film to get one shot :banghead: Anyway, onwards and upwards...

Glad you made the effort. That's pretty much how I felt about Abstract & Odd. There's always going to be months that just don't suit you.

H'mm best not to put "silly" ones into the hat then o_O...and don't forget it is still hard to produce a winning shot with subjects we are more comfortable with.

Glad you made the effort. That's pretty much how I felt about Abstract & Odd. There's always going to be months that just don't suit you.
TBH your entry for abstract and odd was the pick of the month for me.

H'mm best not to put "silly" ones into the hat then o_O...and don't forget it is still hard to produce a winning shot with subjects we are more comfortable with.
One persons 'silly' is another persons 'creative' or 'fun'. It would be a very boring place if we all thought the same.

TBH your entry for abstract and odd was the pick of the month for me.
Very kind of you to say that. I submitted it late, completely as a last resort, because everything else I tried to do was a big fat failure. I just don't 'get' abstract stuff.

I agree some months may be difficult, and it may be simpler not to enter those months... BUT, to me, part of the point of participation is to force myself to try some stuff that's well out of my comfort zone. There would be much less point in a POTY that's all safe, sensible stuff that most of us shoot every week anyway!

Waiting on 5 films from Filmdev, posted on Wednesday... Eeeek!

Actually I have had a Saturday download from Filmdev, although I think now they don't work on Saturday. But today, happily, I have a Friday download... well, an invoice at least!

Bloomin' 'eck, this was a hard choice!

Unfortunately, due to being given a lot of extra work stuff, I'm not gonna be able to enter this month. I was taking some earlier, but the film ripped and is hooley'd.
Can I check, is it only people who've entered that can vote?

Best of luck to everyone who's in it this month

Unfortunately, due to being given a lot of extra work stuff, I'm not gonna be able to enter this month. I was taking some earlier, but the film ripped and is hooley'd.
Can I check, is it only people who've entered that can vote?

Best of luck to everyone who's in it this month
Shame you can't enter this month. The good news is that anyone can vote, you don't have to have entered. So, watch out for the poll being opened tomorrow and get stuck in! :)

Actually I have had a Saturday download from Filmdev, although I think now they don't work on Saturday. But today, happily, I have a Friday download... well, an invoice at least!

That's pretty good going Chris, I sent mine off first thing Monday morning and I got my download link on Friday too!

I remember when I used to post films off on a Monday and get the scans back on Tuesday or Wednesday. I guess Filmdev have got busier as they've grown. It's a good thing really!

I'm about half way through a roll of Acros, shot outside in the dark. Assuming the rest of the roll is shot in the same way, has anyone any suggestions for what to do at the development stage (HC 110 B if that makes any difference)? Presumably they will be super contrasty, so should I do a slightly reduced development? Or should I develop a bit more to effectively push the film a bit?

I'm about half way through a roll of Acros, shot outside in the dark. Assuming the rest of the roll is shot in the same way, has anyone any suggestions for what to do at the development stage (HC 110 B if that makes any difference)? Presumably they will be super contrasty, so should I do a slightly reduced development? Or should I develop a bit more to effectively push the film a bit?

I'm actually reading AA's "The Negative" at the mo, and I still can't quite work out the answer to this question! I'm guessing though that a typical street- or flood-lit night scene would have areas of complete black and complete white, and not very much of the greys in between, so perhaps modifying the development would have little effect?

I guess it will be a lot of blown lights and blocked out shadows but you could either pull some more detail out of the shadows or reduce the glare around the lights for example by different processing

I'm actually reading AA's "The Negative" at the mo, and I still can't quite work out the answer to this question! I'm guessing though that a typical street- or flood-lit night scene would have areas of complete black and complete white, and not very much of the greys in between, so perhaps modifying the development would have little effect?
If it's 35mm, you could try bracketing by a couple of stops. If it's 120, I guess that means you only have 6 shots to play with and bracketing would be out. If you're far enough into the AA book to contemplate the Zone System, you could measure the highlights and expose maybe 2 or 3 stops less than that? :thinking:

I downrated Colorplus 200 to 100 as the Minox gave the auto exposure time longer at lower iso, but then I used the Backlight button to double the exposure and that worked better. That was effectively iso 50 instead of 200, but I think Colorplus needs overexposed anyway.

Last edited:
Well for me.... if I don't take shots for the months ahead in advance, I can't get through a roll of film in one month and what's worse: - Now Asda has gone, I like sending two rolls to filmdev in one post o_O
Guys doing B\W with home dev have an advantage as in the past I used to take a few B\W shots then take the film out in a changing bag and then snip off the film and just dev those few frames.

Well for me.... if I don't take shots for the months ahead in advance, I can't get through a roll of film in one month

Good job you've had since the end of November to take one then! ;)

It will be an issue for next month though seeing as it is 'Mystery Month' where the subject will be revealed on 1st May. I've narrowed the remaining themes down a bit to remove any that looked too difficult for the limited timescales and I'll shortly be sending them to our resident mod @TheBigYin to randomly draw one for us :eek:

I went out this evening to finish off a roll of Ektar for a potential After Dark entry. Hopefully I have one or two that might be ok. The final shot of the evening was all set to be something particularly nice too...

...or it would have been if the cable-release didn't decide to lock itself so that my 1.5 second exposure ended up being six or seven seconds (coupled with the camera being shaken to b*ggery while I unscrewed the cable to release it manually). :(

If all else fails, I have a few backup shots that were taken in December.

I also went out late last night, for a second go at After Eight Dark. Nothing like so precise as Nige's 1.5 second exposure, as my meter registered Eu (what does it know that I don't?). So, I exposed at 4, 8, 16 and 32 seconds for each subject! That's except for the group of 5 young Sikhs on Warwick Bridge who asked me to take their photo on a 'uge mobile phone! They had to show me how, but I think I made it work.

Unfortunately, when I was closing up the tripod at that location (I don't like walking through town carrying a fully extended tripod, too many bored trigger happy ARVs around these days!), I caught my finger tip in one of the clips. It hurt quite a lot, but I put my glove back on and didn't worry about... until there was a rather odd sensation in the finger, as it sloshed around in pooled blood inside the glove! Darn thing just wouldn't stop bleeding, so I finished the shoot (and the drive home) with a hanky wrapped tightly round the middle finger of my left (and only really useful) hand!

I did get a couple of "compositions" at a second location, but I don't think I was really paying attention, so we'll have to wait and see. I took a few more shots this arvo, so only one frame left to shoot tomorrow, then maybe I'll see how it's gone.

Jeez Chris, hope you're ok... though massive respect for continuing to shoot while your finger no doubt gushed forth blood as if it were the femeral artery.

I also went out late last night, for a second go at After Eight Dark. Nothing like so precise as Nige's 1.5 second exposure, as my meter registered Eu (what does it know that I don't?). So, I exposed at 4, 8, 16 and 32 seconds for each subject! That's except for the group of 5 young Sikhs on Warwick Bridge who asked me to take their photo on a 'uge mobile phone! They had to show me how, but I think I made it work.

Unfortunately, when I was closing up the tripod at that location (I don't like walking through town carrying a fully extended tripod, too many bored trigger happy ARVs around these days!), I caught my finger tip in one of the clips. It hurt quite a lot, but I put my glove back on and didn't worry about... until there was a rather odd sensation in the finger, as it sloshed around in pooled blood inside the glove! Darn thing just wouldn't stop bleeding, so I finished the shoot (and the drive home) with a hanky wrapped tightly round the middle finger of my left (and only really useful) hand!

I did get a couple of "compositions" at a second location, but I don't think I was really paying attention, so we'll have to wait and see. I took a few more shots this arvo, so only one frame left to shoot tomorrow, then maybe I'll see how it's gone.

Hope your finger is recovering Chris. For the record, my precise 1.5 second exposure was carefully counted out in my head using "Mississippi's". :)

Finger seems to be OK, though I haven't seen it for 24 hours or so, inside a plaster!

That sounds painful Chris. Hope your finger is getting better :)

Last day and a half for entries everyone. The competition closes at midnight tomorrow!

Back