FILM Photographer of the Year 2019 - Discussion

< Looks at what he has so far. May be burning the midnight oil, ooooh there is an idea ........

Sorry but I really seem to have lost my mojo for shooting to a theme on a regular basis, I've got nothing for this month. Debating whether to try to shoehorn something in or is that not really in the spirit of the thing?

This is F&C, shoehorns are usually encouraged (although of course there's no predicting how the rest of us will react in our voting)...

This is F&C, shoehorns are usually encouraged (although of course there's no predicting how the rest of us will react in our voting)...
Looks to see if he can fit a candle in his shoehorn.

Sorry but I really seem to have lost my mojo for shooting to a theme on a regular basis, I've got nothing for this month. Debating whether to try to shoehorn something in or is that not really in the spirit of the thing?

Maybe in the future we could try just six themes a year, it would certainly help for those with busy lives.

I'd certainly want to stick to one theme a month! However, there's nothing to stop others entering every other month if they like (might be the only way for me to get a chance!). ;)

Neolithic was OFF the list ? Wonder what we will get for May?

Patience ;). I'll put up the thread when I'm on the computer in an hour or so :)

Thanks to @TheBigYin for his help. He's drawn a nice theme for this month (well I think so, some of you may disagree!)

Last edited:
Well I've got an extra incentive to get on my bike for the next 5 month's themes as I have to finish up two rolls after testing my 300mm lens and Spotmatic for light leaks o_O

May's theme is LIVING LANDSCAPES. It can literally be taken anywhere as long as it is a landscape! Rural, urban, coast, country, hills etc. However, for it to be a living landscape it must contain human or animal activity in it.

Get to it!! ;):D

Last edited:
must contain human or animal activity
Trees, grass, moss? A rolling field of lavender or rapeseed? The living rock? A lively mountain stream, a rusting tractor abandoned by a barn with a track running up on to a fellside...

Trees, grass, moss? A rolling field of lavender or rapeseed? The living rock? A lively mountain stream, a rusting tractor abandoned by a barn with a track running up on to a fellside...

I've based my post largely on the info provided by @Mr Badger when he first suggested the theme. Just for clarity, I've looked up his original post and pasted it here:

Open to interpretation as usual, but I was thinking of landscape shots with animate objects in them, such as cattle/sheep/deer grazing, salmon leaping up a stream, farm machinery ploughing or harvesting, animal tracks in snow, etc. A photo that conveys animate life and movement, rather than the more usual 'static' landscape scene of hills, sky, rocks and heather or whatever.

Last edited:
I'm not quite clear whether this month's theme requires only shots taken this month, or can any shot taken since the original theme announcement date count?

Sorry, just found the answer in the thread! Shots taken on or after today...

I'm not quite clear whether this month's theme requires only shots taken this month, or can any shot taken since the original theme announcement date count?
Sorry, just found the answer in the thread! Shots taken on or after today...

Yes, shots to be taken between 1st and 31st May once the theme is announced. As you say, it's stated in the competition thread (and also in the rules thread!) ;):)

I've based my post on the largely on the info provided by @Mr Badger when he first suggested the theme. Just for clarity, I've looked up his original post and pasted it here:
Blimey, now I feel guilty about dropping out this year (time constraints I'm afraid). I did briefly think about trying to get a shot for this month, but I don't think it's fair on the regular contestants for me just to dip in for one month, as it could take some votes from their entries... and those 2 votes could be vital to somebody at the end of the year! :LOL:

Last edited:
Blimey, now I feel guilty about dropping out this year (time constraints I'm afraid). I did briefly think about trying to get a shot for this month, but I don't think it's fair on the regular contestants for me just to dip in for one month, as it could take some votes from their entries... and those 2 votes could be vital to somebody at the end of the year! :LOL:

The other way of thinking, is that by NOT entering, you're also giving more points to someone else, which could affect another person...

Either way, by entering or not entering, you affect the results. Just as well enter really :D

A couple of Bank Holidays might have some opportunities, but there are usually some Fairs and other outdoor events during this month. And I'm fairly sure that a decent beergarden might even sneak into shoehorn territiory. :whistle:

A couple of Bank Holidays might have some opportunities, but there are usually some Fairs and other outdoor events during this month. And I'm fairly sure that a decent beergarden might even sneak into shoehorn territiory. :whistle:

Well a good idea for you, but for me I find the usual problem with landscapes is you really need the sun at angles to give shape to things (midday in summer is the worst time) but stormy type clouds with the sun is nice if you also get the right day....probably a bit of luck for this month theme in the time allowed i.e. right place at the right time.

A quick question about the "animal tracks in snow" bit. Obviously something like that would denote an animate presence had been there, but it would still be an inanimate scene. In that regard, would a scene of a disused barn or dry-stone wall be classed as suitable? Neither neccesarily features animate presences, but would be an indication that they had been there in the same way that tracks would (albeit probably not quite so recently).

I'm aiming to include some sort of animal or human presence in my photo anyway, so no worries, but I don't want to miss out on something else that would be acceptible.

@Mr Badger - can you expand on your original precis please? :)

@Mr Badger - can you expand on your original precis please? :)
Providing Mrs Snap doesn't mind me answering? If she does then I won't be offended at all if she asks people to ignore this post and PMs me and requests me to delete the following:

What I had in mind was a photo of a landscape with something animate living in it or, perhaps for a more subtle approach, recent visual proof that something living and animate is present in the landscape (for instance, obvious and fresh pawprints in snow in the foreground).

The 'landscape' could be rural, urban, industrial, etc. but the key is in the title, the photograph must clearly convey that it's a living landscape, rather than giving the sole impression that it's an architectural landscape, a geological landscape, or just a typical 'chocolate box lid' type shot of rocks, heather, some water and mountains with no clues as to 'who lives in a house like this'.

I know heather, trees, grass, etc. are usually 'living', but it's a photo that conveys some sort of animate life and moving creatures that I had in mind when I suggested the theme. Hope this is useful, to both those taking the photos and those voting for them. Best of luck everyone. (y)

Last edited:
Well I've done the May theme today......you do need a bit of luck for green landscapes as with the time allowed you just can't drive around looking for a landscape shot, but go back to a promising site that might not be too far away...and that's what I did.
Well last time I took the shot it was full of cows but this time WTF I couldn't see any with the naked eye, lucky IMO the shot only works with a 200mm lens and lucky there were two horses, in fact I got more interested in the white and brown horses glowing in the sun light and for me it would be quite interesting to see the perspective using a 200mm lens against background of trees etc from a long distance.

Just had an email from Ag to say that my E6 films have now been dispatched, so they should arrive by Friday and hopefully there'll be something to fit this month's topic. :cautious:

We're into the last couple of days, folks. Entries close at midnight on 31st May.

There will be a short delay before the poll, and the new thread for June, go up because I'm not around for most of Saturday. I'll try and sort it all out on Sat evening. Also, the poll will have to close a day early due to holiday! :)

Sent my film off... today!!!! :-(

Perhaps I'd better start polishing those backup shots...

Sent my film off... today!!!! :-(

Perhaps I'd better start polishing those backup shots...

Filmdev came good, bless 'em! Scans came through this afternoon. The shots I was hoping for, however, not so much. May have found an alternative, though...

Back