FILM Photographer of the Year 2020 Discussion Thread ***Final Scores Added***

There’s some cracking entries so far.

Definitely going to have to do something a bit left field for this one. I have not relished trying to talk to an actual stranger and in the current circumstances I'm even less confident.

Definitely going to have to do something a bit left field for this one. I have not relished trying to talk to an actual stranger and in the current circumstances I'm even less confident.
I think "thinking outside the box"is definitely called for.

Did someone mention my name.......?;)
Selfie by Andy, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm only a little devil so twice is enough.....;):)

Did someone mention my name.......?;)
Selfie by Andy, on Flickr

Omg [emoji15]

I need images to pick me up not make me feel worse ! [emoji23] [emoji23]

Awww sorry Andy , it’s always nice to see you even in a reflective format [emoji6]

I've used a creative interpretation of the theme and managed to get a shot that I'm happy with without resorting to talking to a stranger or even @Andysnap!! :D

Likewise, I have a result that I’m reasonably happy with .... I’d enter it now if I could get to the file sat on the main computer

It’ll have to wait til I get home next week ( hopefully)

Good to see the Snaps leading the way and getting their entries in early (y)

I drove to Bristol today with my digi gear to get some street photos. I figured I'd take the Autocord with me to try and get a pic for this month, seeing as I've not entered the last two months.

Well, it's been so long since I've used a film camera that I forgot that they need film to work :LOL: :oops: :$

I drove to Bristol today with my digi gear to get some street photos. I figured I'd take the Autocord with me to try and get a pic for this month, seeing as I've not entered the last two months.

Well, it's been so long since I've used a film camera that I forgot that they need film to work :LOL: :oops: :$
I was relying on the Classic Car Day, Traditional Boat Festival and Lifeboat Day for portrait opportunities, but all of them were cancelled. :eek: I'll need a Plan B for this month. :thinking:

Well, it's been so long since I've used a film camera that I forgot that they need film to work :LOL:
You should get some off eBay... Oh wait...

Well, it's been so long since I've used a film camera that I forgot that they need film to work
Not that anyone would ever forget an SD card or battery for the digi gear! I know that that is definitely something I would never do again :rolleyes:

Not that anyone would ever forget an SD card or battery for the digi gear! I know that that is definitely something I would never do again :rolleyes:

Aha yeah we've all been there! I once packed my gear into the boot of my car and then drove to a friend's house, then he drove us about an hour to a landscape spot in his car. We got there and opened the boot, and I'd left everything in the boot of my car, which was still at his house. Managed to not take a single piece of camera gear with me :LOL:

Aha yeah we've all been there! I once packed my gear into the boot of my car and then drove to a friend's house, then he drove us about an hour to a landscape spot in his car. We got there and opened the boot, and I'd left everything in the boot of my car, which was still at his house. Managed to not take a single piece of camera gear with me :LOL:
You win! :LOL:

A few years ago we went to Leighton Moss to shoot some wildlife and I took my Fuji X-T1 and the 100-400 mm lens.... When I tried to attach the lens to the camera I realised that I had picked up my Voigtlander R3a instead☹️. They are a similar size and both were black bodied and sat next to each other in the case, I took it with my usual aplomb....

I bet you both saw some cracking shots too :)

It actually rained pretty much from the moment I got to Bristol to the moment I left! It's even worse when everywhere is locked down so you can't really retreat to a pub or coffee shop to hide from the rain. Managed to keep dry in a Waterstones though, and bought a book called "happy house plants". I am so cool :LOL:

You certainly know how to party, I'll give you that :)

Always think it's cool to see everyone get a vote. That means every shot was someone's favourite :)

It's been nice to catch up on the last few months entries, some fantastic shots as always. Well done everyone.

I have been rather distracted during the last couple of months so not submitted since Feb, but managing to pick the camera up again so hoping to get involved again soon.

Sorry folks, you’ll have to wait for the scores on the doors, work has shown it’s ugly face.

I decided to bite the bullet today and go out to make some street portraits. Of the fourteen people I approached, only three of them said no, so I have eleven potential shots. I’m going to use them as a starting point for a One Hundred Photos of People I Don’t Know project.

Given I’m a bit of an introvert, I’m quite pleased with how the outing went.

Fingers crossed that at least some of them turn out ok.

Last edited:
I decided to bite the bullet today and go out to make some street portraits. Of the fourteen people I approached, only three of them said no, so I have eleven potential shots. I’m going to use them as a starting point for a One Hundred Photos of People I Don’t Know
project.

That's awesome! I'm terrified of asking strangers so I've never done it, but it seems like one of those things that you get all worked up about and then when you finally do it, it's not that bad. Kind of like those death slides with the vertical drop that I used to spend hours building up the courage to go on when I was a kid :LOL:

Were the people you asked quite unusual looking? I imagine someone that makes an effort to stand out from the crowd would be more happy to have their photo taken than a regular plain Jane who might find it odd.

Now that you're a pro at it you could lead an F&C stranger portrait workshop :D

That's awesome! I'm terrified of asking strangers so I've never done it, but it seems like one of those things that you get all worked up about and then when you finally do it, it's not that bad. Kind of like those death slides with the vertical drop that I used to spend hours building up the courage to go on when I was a kid :LOL:
That's exactly it. I have a tendency to "What if?" situations before they happen, often imagining the worse outcomes. In reality, the worst that happened today was that some of the people said no. They weren't rude or agressive about it, they just didn't want me to make their portrait. The first person I asked said no, which was a bit of an instant set-back on my confidence, but then the next two people said yes. Some people I asked looked a little bewildered as to why I might want to take their photo, but my explanation of the "One hundred portraits of strangers" reason probably helped, as perhaps did the Yashica Mat, which is maybe unusual to people, but also less worrisome than a professional looking black-bodied DSLR and a big lens or something.

Were the people you asked quite unusual looking? I imagine someone that makes an effort to stand out from the crowd would be more happy to have their photo taken than a regular plain Jane who might find it odd.

They were just people I saw on the street who looked approachable to me. A couple of guys I asked had cameras, so I thought they might be agreeable on the basis that they might understand why I was doing it. A couple were street musicians, so they're probably used to having their pictures taken (plus they got a quid in their collections as thanks :) ). One girl I saw was carrying a big potted plant, and I asked her when I saw her set it down for a rest. She was curious and asked me if I would be publishing the pictures, so I told her about my blog.

Now that you're a pro at it you could lead an F&C stranger portrait workshop :D

There's about as much chance of that happening as you getting all that Fuji C200 that you ordered from eBay. :D

Last edited:
I've got two possibilities to hand, one is "technically correct ( i guess), the other is I think going to be seen as a load of **** by many people , however the latter is for me more interesting, more creative and was quite a challenge to obtain.

Therefore I'm going to enter the latter.......

I decided to bite the bullet today and go out to make some street portraits. Of the fourteen people I approached, only three of them said no, so I have eleven potential shots. I’m going to use them as a starting point for a One Hundred Photos of People I Don’t Know
project.

Were women more interested than men or whatever? For me I'd feel uneasy asking someone esp a woman as she might think I'm a pervert. :eek: well alright she might have an instinct that she is right o_O :D

Were women more interested than men or whatever? For me I'd feel uneasy asking someone esp a woman as she might think I'm a pervert. :eek: well alright she might have an instinct that she is right o_O :D

I asked four women, three of whom agreed, and ten men, eight of whom agreed.

I was polite and friendly when I approached people. For those who declined, I thanked them anway and said it was absolutely no problem if they didn't want to take part.

Last edited:

Maybe when you approach these woman you should make it clear by shouting "I AM NOT A PERVERT!" before you start talking to them? You know, just to avoid confusion

Maybe when you approach these woman you should make it clear by shouting "I AM NOT A PERVERT!" before you start talking to them? You know, just to avoid confusion

:D well you know what they say about old men and young women o_O So an older one should be quite safe..but if I can see a promising shot from a distance with tele lens I'll have a go and if all in a public place.. don't think it would be breaking any laws.

:D well you know what they say about old men and young women o_O So an older one should be quite safe..but if I can see a promising shot from a distance with tele lens I'll have a go and if all in a public place.. don't think it would be breaking any laws.

...and you think an older man taking a sneaky photo from a distance with a telephoto lens will make you look LESS like a pervert?

Oh Brian :LOL:

Back