Film Photographer of the Year - The shots that didn't make the cut

I can see why you struggled Nige as I'd have been happy to enter any of your outtakes particularly 2 & 4 but I agree with your choice, it was a cracking shot and really appealing in a quirky kind of way.

Here's an entry that never was, it's a shame as the reflections in that flywheel looked great in real life, but capturing them on film was beyond me, probably too slow a shutter speed but with not enough light there wasn't much I could do! I didn't bother entering it as I felt it would be unlikely to win any points and would just have taken up space on the entry thread, plus I was pushed for time with Christmas looming. Never mind, there's always next year... hang on, that's this year now! :runaway:

img452 by J White, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've got a couple of rejects for January, although these are rejects because they didn't work, not because I preferred my other photo!

The top two photos are with zero delay between the bottle hitting the slab and the flash firing, so they just look like they're stood upright! The bottom left is with a very short delay of a few milliseconds, but unfortunately my aim was off lol (it was dark!). The bottom right was with a longer delay (130 milliseconds if I remember), but the bottle decided to bounce rather than smash (n) Weirdly, the flash trigger/sensor that I made worked better than I could have hoped, but it was my photography skills that let me down most :LOL:

Bottles.jpg

@Carl Hall , Drat it - I gave up with my 'Decisive Moment' dice shots after a couple of trial goes and your post just reminded me I have sound and IR beam activated triggers that will work with the Eos 3 or a flash. Not got the connectors for the EOS 5 or the N8008 though.

The throw with one hand press shutter with other and hope, almost shots ...

Where did the other one go?

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Stopped already!

Almost !

Too far!

Last edited:
I thought for a moment you might not have loaded the film correctly, but then again who on earth would make that mistake! :whistle: :facepalm:

I thought for a moment you might not have loaded the film correctly, but then again who on earth would make that mistake! :whistle: :facepalm:
That would just be ridiculous.

For still life I did think this might work - Miserly Cheese Board - with Goat Cheese.

View attachment 121562

Nikon N8008 (f801) 28-70mm with 1 dioptre additional lens - FP4+ in ID11 1+3

I like that. My only regret is that the kids don't have any plastic goats I could insert into mine.

I went with a whisky one to start with, but wasn't happy with the underlighting end result. This was about the best of them. Konica FC-1 and ood FP4+, which might account for the grain.

2018-02-03-0004-tp.jpg

Last edited:
That's a coincidence, I was going to take a photo of a bottle of whisky and a glass but I suddenly found they were both empty and for some reason the camera wouldn't focus properly! :confused:

Given the lowly points standing of my actual entry this month, I'm thinking that any of my other potential shots would've been a better choice. With hindsight, I think they're all a lot better. :(

All shot with my Yashica Mat 124G and Rolleinar 2 closeup lens. Portra 400, with some converted to B&W (obviously :) ).

FILM - Melon
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Blades

FILM - Tools of the trade

FILM - The hoard

I tried a table-top shoot with a couple of pears, in colour and black and white. The colour versions are marred by blown highlights from the window light, and possibly over-exposure. I think this was the best of the black and white ones...

Still Life pears 1802C.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the line where the table folds down! Acros 100 in Pentax MX, with Pentax M 100/4 semi macro lens.

I think I had the same problem, too many options and no idea which one was the right option. :thinking:

Here a few....
Veins in the Wood2 by Andy, on Flickr

Lily Leaf2 by Andy, on Flickr

3 Bulbs on white by Andy, on Flickr

In the end I went for the one that I liked the best, purely because it told a story.

I think I had the same problem, too many options and no idea which one was the right option. :thinking:

Here a few....
Veins in the Wood2 by Andy, on Flickr

Lily Leaf2 by Andy, on Flickr

3 Bulbs on white by Andy, on Flickr

In the end I went for the one that I liked the best, purely because it told a story.
I think the first two the subject is totally lost on the background, it would probably work better with a light subject.

I like the third as a kind of abstract study but I also prefer a story.

Pretty much shot anything and everything for chains, most of which appeared in the entries thread...
BikeChain by Chris H, on Flickr

Lune-KirbyLonsdale by Chris H, on Flickr

Glad I didn't post this as @Mr Badger 's is much better
ChainSaw by Chris H, on Flickr

And one that no one else went for either, I think chain-link could be made to work but I didn't think this was it
ChainLink by Chris H, on Flickr

Thanks for the compliment @sirch :) Not a patch on your paper chain though (if you'll excuse the pun!).

Here are a couple of my rejects, taken with a Yashinon lensed Yashica 635, using a close-up lens converter for the first one, on Ilford HP5. I'm too pushed for time to crop the second shot as I would have done to enter the comp... but since neither of these would have been good enough to enter it's all a bit academic!

Last edited:
I mentioned...

Just reviewed three films with candidate shots on them for this month. It appears I have an OR gate, an AND gate, two bears and a NSFW statue!!!

The OR gate:
Chain rejects 1.jpg

The AND gate (not entirely sure on this one, but I think you need to undo both locks):

Chain rejects 2.jpg

Two bears (at Kenilworth Castle, the Bear and Ragged Staff was the emblem of the Earls of Leicester):

Chain rejects 3.jpg

(One of the least NSFW versions of the sculpture was what I submitted, had to work hard on the angle!)

But this was the alternative I was pondering...

Chain rejects 4.jpg

Top 3 Pentax MX and Tri-X, bottom Pentax LX and Superia 400.

Saw your comment about the Or gate and And gate in the discussion thread @ChrisR and it had me wondering, seeing them made me smile :).

I mentioned...

The OR gate:
View attachment 123444

The AND gate (not entirely sure on this one, but I think you need to undo both locks):

View attachment 123445

Two bears (at Kenilworth Castle, the Bear and Ragged Staff was the emblem of the Earls of Leicester):

View attachment 123447

(One of the least NSFW versions of the sculpture was what I submitted, had to work hard on the angle!)

But this was the alternative I was pondering...

View attachment 123448

Top 3 Pentax MX and Tri-X, bottom Pentax LX and Superia 400.

I think you entered the best image in the competition (y)

I had three others in the running. To my amazement, the one I've entered, and the first two below, all managed to get into Flickr's Explore pages (the entry and the first one simultaneously on the same day! - they're next to each other in my Flickr feed). This has never happened before. I doubt Flickr Explore status will translate to votes though, sadly. :)

FILM - Falling away

FILM - In chains

FILM - Under lock and chain

I mentioned...

The OR gate:

Very logical :) Now how to you build a NAND Gate with chains and padlocks? Because theoretically you can build any logic gate with a combination of NAND gates. Brian, my brain hurts. :)

Very logical :) Now how to you build a NAND Gate with chains and padlocks? Because theoretically you can build any logic gate with a combination of NAND gates. Brian, my brain hurts. :)

My aged brain struggles with NAND gates... from Wikipedia it appears that to be a NAND gate you could only open the gate if all the padlocks were locked! I think that might be difficult to realise with padlocks and chains! Maybe that OR gate where the padlocked bit is holding back a spring that would let the gate open? Undo any lock and the spring keeps the gate closed.

This was the first and only other shot I took for 'chains'. A gate on a walk up Walla Crag from Keswick taken in January.

40335034222_a092e8eeba_c.jpg

Chains Lakes Jan 2018 by Janet

Last edited:
Back