Film Photographer of the Year - The shots that didn't make the cut

I think the juxtaposition of the dry leaves on the water with the reflected branches makes for a good photo for the wet theme @ChrisR, really well seen (y)

This was my alternate shot for Little and Large. I do like it, but think I needed to arrange the coins a bit better - they needed rotating. Also, because this was taken with the F70, I couldn't control the aperture on my gelded Sigma 105mm macro lens. I now have an F80 too, which means I don't have to use the lens in P mode.

FILM - One hundred times bigger in value
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
This was my alternate shot for Little and Large. I do like it, but think I needed to arrange the coins a bit better - they needed rotating. Also, because this was taken with the F70, I couldn't control the aperture on my gelded Sigma 105mm macro lens. I now have an F80 too, which means I don't have to use the lens in P mode.

FILM - One hundred times bigger in value

That would have been my idea for the comp using a crown and a farthing.

These were actually for the ill-fated 2016 FPOTY, ships and boats was the theme but I thought I'd try something out of the box.

Mamiya C330f, on Ektar I think.
B and S 2 by Andy, on Flickr

B and S 1 by Andy, on Flickr

These were actually for the ill-fated 2016 FPOTY, ships and boats was the theme but I thought I'd try something out of the box.

Mamiya C330f, on Ektar I think.
B and S 2 by Andy, on Flickr

B and S 1 by Andy, on Flickr
Looks like it’s a frame from an animation, could be a whole new hobby Andy. You could be F&C’s very own Oliver Postgate.

Looks like it’s a frame from an animation, could be a whole new hobby Andy. You could be F&C’s very own Oliver Postgate.
Perhaps the story could be about a bloke going for a walk by the sea and getting marooned on an island because he forgot what the tide does, and despite all the many boats on the island he never thinks of asking for a lift back to the mainland?

On second thoughts, that storyline would probably be too far-fetched even for children, I mean who'd do something like that in real life? :exit:;)

Last edited:
It's fair to say that "Abstract and Odd" was a topic where I tried a number of very different photos before selecting the final one.

#1 Chained to the Dollar
2019-02-20-0001c-copy-exp1-copy.jpg

#2 Unseen bird landing
2019-02-07-0001-copy-2-tp-copy.jpg

#3 The wee hoose
2019-02-20-0009-copy-spotted-tp-exp1.jpg

A BBC show featuring this said that "it was built on Loch Shin near Lairg in 1824 by poacher Jock Broon who was gifted land by a local laird in return for being taught how to distil whisky. Broon is said to have built the ‘wee hoose’ to mark his new status as a landowner but died shortly afterwards when he shot himself in the foot while out hunting, the story goes. “His Wee Hoose remains his legacy,” viewers were told.

However, Broons Hoose was built only 20 years ago as a float for the Lairg Gala. It was taken to the island by boat at the end of the festivities and has since become a landmark loved by locals and tourists alike. Lairg postman Lindsay Macdonald helped make the house - which has been rebuilt twice after being destroyed by bad weather - and create the local legend of Jock Broon. Not so romantic, but lots more believable.
smile.png

As soon as I started thinking about the "abstract and odd" theme, I wanted to do some intentional camera movement shots, as I thought they cover both aspects of the theme (emphasis on the "and"). But two other shots came my way in the month or so before:

1) I thought this heavy frost on boulders right by the sea, at Seaview Terrace, Joppa, east of Edinburgh, looked pretty weird when shot in fairly tight.

000042390028 by Chris R, on Flickr

Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70, Vista 400

2) Out near Fisherow there's a new huge sculpture of a shell. I took a couple of shots of reflections in its interior, again fairly close to remove referents.

000042390030 by Chris R, on Flickr

Same combo

3) As I mentioned, the first time I went out to shoot the ICM stuff, I hadn't loaded the film properly. This was near the end of the month, but luckily the weather cooperated a couple of days later, and I was able to try again. Rather stupidly, I re-loaded the same Vista 400 film, and then had to work hard to get the shutter time up to the half to two second range. I don't have a 55mm ND filter, so in the end I stuck a Cokin A filter holder on, with 1-stop and 2-stop grads in opposing directions. I figured the resulting grad effect wouldn't be a problem! I still had to use a +2 exposure compensation. Stupid, really; as I walked home I remembered all those rolls of 2007-expired Reala 100 which would have been fine shot at 50. Anyway, this was one I liked, but rejected as a little too representational...

R1-09872-0030 by Chris R, on Flickr

4) This one from the same shoot, I really liked, but again I thought it was too representational. I can't quite remember how I made this one; I thought at first it was one of the "zoom during exposure" shots (where it turned out I was zooming too fast in most cases, more like a double exposure). Definitely not one of the "move the camera firmly in one direction" shots. I suspect it might have been when I was "experimenting" with moving the camera just a little bit through the exposure, but again it doesn't look quite right. So I'm puzzled.

R1-09872-0023 by Chris R, on Flickr

As soon as I started thinking about the "abstract and odd" theme, I wanted to do some intentional camera movement shots...<snip>

Chris, FWIW your entry for this I thought was really fantastic. I am normally very unimpressed and uninterested with these ICM shots, but I genuinely really liked yours. I'm a little late to the party on this years competition so didn't get a chance to vote, just thought I'd let you know I liked it.

I love both of these but I think the second one is wonderful, I’d gladly print that and put it on my wall. It reminds me of the the work of Susan Burnstine. I don’t know how you’re going to interpret the rest if this year’s challenges chris but if you can find a way of incorporating this style then you’ll pretty much have my vote every time. (y)

Thanks Craig and Nick. Yes, it's a bit of a problem on film, and I've only shot a few films this way, and the previous one was a couple of years ago. Really need to shoot a few films off fairly quickly, and keep notes, to find out what works and what doesn't. One of the things that surprised me was how intense the colours became.

Not sure I could shoot much more in ICM for this year, but I'll certainly have a think about it. Definitely suited the "abstract and odd" theme, though!

4) This one from the same shoot, I really liked, but again I thought it was too representational. I can't quite remember how I made this one; I thought at first it was one of the "zoom during exposure" shots (where it turned out I was zooming too fast in most cases, more like a double exposure). Definitely not one of the "move the camera firmly in one direction" shots. I suspect it might have been when I was "experimenting" with moving the camera just a little bit through the exposure, but again it doesn't look quite right. So I'm puzzled.

R1-09872-0023 by Chris R, on Flickr

Absolutely Fantastic! Why oh why didn't you enter this Chris - it's amazing!!

Absolutely Fantastic! Why oh why didn't you enter this Chris - it's amazing!!

Thanks Fraser. I was concerned it was a bit too representational, since it's so obviously a tree! I was really going for both abstract AND odd... never mind, I'm really glad folk like it, as I do, too.

Thanks Fraser. I was concerned it was a bit too representational, since it's so obviously a tree! I was really going for both abstract AND odd... never mind, I'm really glad folk like it, as I do, too.

It is abstract & odd and bloody fantastic Chris!

I'm not certain if it would be allowed but @Harlequin565 agreed for a free print for the monthly winner; I received an excellent print from him last month - you could ask him if he would be willing to print this for you on my behalf?

Last edited:
The March Things with Faces/ Found Faces topic was really quite broad, and I found it a bit difficult to choose between the real and the abstract. The ones that didn't make it were ...

#1 Truck face

000052290003-copy-tp.jpg

#2 Nairn Little Theatre sign

000052290014-copy-tp.jpg

#3 Clock face (still winter time)

000052290019-copy-tp.jpg

Yes I was surprised that "clock face" didn't figure more amongst the entries. I only thought of it in the last few days when I found a mosaic with a watch face embedded in it. I spent a couple of days looking for a good composition with clock faces, and even tried a staged photo with an alarm clock, totally uninteresting as it turns out!

Well thanks to those who voted for my one....I was going to put this one up as resin (or whatever) improved the eye look, but thought the other one without direct sunlight looked better overall.
9zbF6Yn.jpg

I think you definitely picked the right one as your entry. It had a definite "Babycham"-faun look to it. :)

These were some of my backup shots, all Pentax MX, Vivitar 35-70 and Acros 100 devved in HC 110 B...

a) Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh

After Dark backups 003 by Chris R, on Flickr

b) The Robert Fergusson statue outside Canongate Kirk, Royal Mile, Edinburgh

After Dark backups 004 by Chris R, on Flickr

c) I think this is White Horse Close, at the bottom of Royal Mile, Edinburgh.

After Dark backups 005 by Chris R, on Flickr

I had high hopes for this one, but I found the lights too intrusive. In my actual entry, I managed to keep most of the light sources out of shot, which really pleased me.

Last edited:
A bit of life going on in the landscape here; harvesting silage in the field at the bottom of my mother's garden on May bank holiday. Canon EOS 30v, 24-105 L on Kodak Gold 200.

Last edited:
This was the shot I was waiting for, but didn't consider quite good enough, before going off on a search for alternates yesterday, that resulted in the entry outwith the rules...

1905EPLXCN Quantock ponies by Chris R, on Flickr

Wild ponies on the Quantock Hills, sheltering under the group of trees known as the Seven Sisters. Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70, Superia 400

For some reason late last night I decided it wasn't "landscape" enough, so (having forgotten about the subsidiary rule that shots had to be taken in May) I went looking through the catalogue and found the February shot that I submitted. There were at least two clues that should have alerted me: the first was that when I went for a wander yesterday afternoon I checked the monthly themes on my Dropbox and saw "Mystery Month", and the second when I was wondering why so few entries! Oh well...

I had had some hopes for other shots on the same roll, taken in Holyrood Park during a 5K race as part of the Edinburgh Marathon Festival: runners, with Arthur's Seat in the background. Definitely landscape enough, but little details in the half dozen shots I took ruled them all out (yes, I know, machine gun Chris!).

This was the shot I was waiting for, but didn't consider quite good enough, before going off on a search for alternates yesterday, that resulted in the entry outwith the rules...

1905EPLXCN Quantock ponies by Chris R, on Flickr

Wild ponies on the Quantock Hills, sheltering under the group of trees known as the Seven Sisters. Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70, Superia 400

For some reason late last night I decided it wasn't "landscape" enough, so (having forgotten about the subsidiary rule that shots had to be taken in May) I went looking through the catalogue and found the February shot that I submitted. There were at least two clues that should have alerted me: the first was that when I went for a wander yesterday afternoon I checked the monthly themes on my Dropbox and saw "Mystery Month", and the second when I was wondering why so few entries! Oh well...

I had had some hopes for other shots on the same roll, taken in Holyrood Park during a 5K race as part of the Edinburgh Marathon Festival: runners, with Arthur's Seat in the background. Definitely landscape enough, but little details in the half dozen shots I took ruled them all out (yes, I know, machine gun Chris!).

Perhaps not what you want to hear in the circumstances, but I really like that shot Chris. The line of the treetops drawing the eye through the frame and down to the sheltering horses is very nice. (y)

This was my alternate for this month's theme. It was a really tricky choice to make, but even though I love this shot, I think the composition and the poses of the two people in my entry are better (this is where people will now tell me how wrong I am - I seem to have a talent for picking the shot that everyone else likes least :)).

As with my entry, this isn't a posed shot, this guy just climbed up on the ledge, sat down for a short time, before climbing to the top as I was walking past along the top of the crags (Curbar Edge in the Peak District). I'd not intended to use the Z135 and colour film for my entry - the trip was planned around getting shots with my Zeiss Mess-Ikonta on some Delta 400 - but the colour 135 shots were the ones I liked best when I got the results.

Canon Sure Shot Z135
Lomography Color Negative 400

FILM - Living life on the edge

Last edited:
Perhaps not what you want to hear in the circumstances, but I really like that shot Chris. The line of the treetops drawing the eye through the frame and down to the sheltering horses is very nice. (y)

Thank you Nige. I'm liking it more and more, now... :(

From my daytrip on the ferry to Eigg, all on the Minox 35GT and Colorplus 200 via Filmdev.

#1 This reminded me of the poster for Reservoir Dogs, although they're probably harmless :)

000019000014-copy-tp.jpg

#2 is a couple of passengers from the coach party on the ferry

000019000024-copy-tp.jpg

#3 the ferry arriving on Eigg

000019000027-copy-tp.jpg

Last edited:
I think I was one of the few on the Knoydart ferry that didn't have a mountain bike! Minox 35GT & Colorplus 200.

2019-05-30-0006-copy-tp-scan.jpg

Sunset kayakers. Nikon F80, 35-105, ood Sensia 100 via Ag

2019-05-29-0028-copy-tp.jpg

And a sunset film-maker. Nikon F80, 35-105, ood Sensia 100 via Ag

2019-05-29-0026-copy-tp.jpg

I think that last shot might've stood you a very good chance of nabbing the top-spot Peter. It's lovely.
^What Nige said^^^ the 2 sunset shots are crackers.

Back