FILM Photographer of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going with one of my original shots I think, nothing else presented itself and it got warm...,o_O

Personally, rather than a did not enter, i'd shoot a frame of B&W of the interior of my fridge/freezer and soup it quick... - DFL beats DNE

DFL?

I've entered my pigs ear I'm really not happy with I it but...

Ugh. I've managed to submit something though it was a shot from the archives that was quickly processed this morning. Better owt than nowt, as said previously in this thread. Can't say it's my favourite entry but it's an entry so I'm going to move on to worrying about March. Or scanning some of my backlog and looking for more vaguely appropriate entries.

I feel dirty :(

I'd forgotten that some Boots will do same day processing. Not old-fashioned black and white though.

OK, I will choose between two different versions of my cold lens cap interior... ;)

Dropped off at a snappy snaps, haven't used them before so will be interesting to see how they turn out.
I imagine they won't be great quality but when you leave your POTY roll till the Las day of the month beggars cannot be choosers!
Also I don't expect any great result from my shot but at least it should fit the theme okay :)

bdb0db52-6b57-4f46-abbc-64a93022d9f3_tapatalkeditedimage-jpg.31740

Last edited:
Well that's mine in. Fairly happy with it.

Well that's mine in. Fairly happy with it.

Glad to hear it Andy... not only that you're fairly happy - but apparently entries were a little thinner on the ground than we'd hope for as of this morning, so every extra one helps :)

Of course, I suppose it also means Marc's tearing his hair out with all the last minute entries arriving, but that seems to be par for the course at the moment...

Well, aiming for the DFL position makes it easier! Submitted, and acknowledgement received. Not happy, it's a marmite image I think, and sometimes I like it...

Last edited:
My entry is in, right at the last moment like last month :D

Not overly happy with it, but I spent all month trying and couldn't get much to fit in with the theme... If only the theme was "cold, wet and grey" then I might have had better luck haha.

I am ashamed to admit that my entry is digital this month though! I screwed the roll up but luckily shot it on digital at the same time as backup...

Nine film out of 36 this time! Well done, folks.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the film entries was the overall winner, although there are some reasonable digi shots as well;) (actually there are a lot of very good shots indeed, of all flavours, and some very... interesting... interpretations of the theme!.

really? i dont see the results thread there yet. While youre in fortune telling mode can you let us know 6 numbers and a bonus ball :)

seriously fine film entries this month, if we dont hoover up a lot of the points then there really is no justice.

really? i dont see the results thread there yet. While youre in fortune telling mode can you let us know 6 numbers and a bonus ball :)

seriously fine film entries this month, if we dont hoover up a lot of the points then there really is no justice.

Why would I give you the six numbers,I am only responding to your " NO JUSTICE IN THE WORLD " carp

Again fellow filmies, a strong showing - plenty of entries and three of the overall top 10 to boot... chapeau folks...

Judges comments on my photo were bang on what I thought about my entry, unfortunately placed low this month but I definitely agree with my placing :) good job everyone!

Thanks folks. I dunno, elsewhere we're discussing why my carefully considered shots don't have the wow factor, and then a scrappy, messy shot that caught my eye while trying for something else, and which I really thought not good enough to enter, gets a win after a crop and a bit of rough treatment with PP (darkened and sharpened). Clearly I know nothing!

Well done Chris a very good competition photograph,congratulations. well done to all film entries.

I am a bit confused how some film shots finished higher in the main competition and then lower in the film section.

Well done Chris a very good competition photograph,congratulations. well done to all film entries.

I am a bit confused how some film shots finished higher in the main competition and then lower in the film section.

Because they are judged twice, separately, once as part of overall, and again separately for film, so depends how each judge ranks them and more significantly, HOW many judges rank them as to where they appear. Mark probably explains it better in the main POTY thread, but it does add up, promise.

Because they are judged twice, separately, once as part of overall, and again separately for film, so depends how each judge ranks them and more significantly, HOW many judges rank them as to where they appear. Mark probably explains it better in the main POTY thread, but it does add up, promise.

Thanks for that Yv.

Excellent Chris, well done. Good showing from the rest of you.

I got the result I expected...

Thanks for that Yv.

Not 100% sure it's much better Yv, but i said...

It's because the film competition is also voted on seperately...

so, for example Foto-Pauls entry came in 6th overall, but was only favoured by 2 judges (hence the 2 comments) where yours was 8th and andy's 9th.

BUT, when all 4 judges give points down to 10th place, everyone gets some points, even if DFL and hence all 4 judges give points for all the pictures - so a 6th in the overall can come in third in film, while an 8th overall can get 1st in film...

It's complicated, but it does add up...

I'm sure Marc has the actual scores etc and could publish them at some point - at the moment there's 2 sets copied into the "judges chambers" for record (I was actually going to collate the points and post them up by way of explaination, but with incomplete data it's not worthwhile) - but I'm sure everyone thinks Marc did the right thing to get the information published first if he had a limited time to work on things...

I'm sure Marc has the actual scores etc and could publish them at some point - at the moment there's 2 sets copied into the "judges chambers" for record (I was actually going to collate the points and post them up by way of explaination, but with incomplete data it's not worthwhile) - but I'm sure everyone thinks Marc did the right thing to get the information published first if he had a limited time to work on things...

Oops! There now

Thanks, Richard and Steven.

Excellent showing from the filmies, well done everyone and special well done to Chris, super representation of the theme.

Andy

So I just drove an hour and a half to a location for a photo which I thought would give my entry this month the extra "oomph" that my previous entries were missing, and the bloody place is closed! Open on weekends only... That'll teach me to find out if places are open beforehand!!

Quick tip to avoid stress when entering competitions ... don't leave it until the last day of the month, then develop and try scanning before the negatives are properly dry in a mad rush to get something submitted before the deadline.

Also, don't realise after you've developed the films that the shots you wanted for the competition are still on the roll that's in the camera, which you were definitely going to finish way before the last day of the month.

:sulk:

I wonder if I'll have got the hang of this entry thing in time for next year's competition?

Quick tip to avoid stress when entering competitions ... don't leave it until the last day of the month, then develop and try scanning before the negatives are properly dry in a mad rush to get something submitted before the deadline.

Also, don't realise after you've developed the films that the shots you wanted for the competition are still on the roll that's in the camera, which you were definitely going to finish way before the last day of the month.

:sulk:

I wonder if I'll have got the hang of this entry thing in time for next year's competition?
Yep, no point in putting yourself under pressure eh? Hope you made it in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back