FILM Photographer of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if folks on here noticed, there's now a poll for full POTY membership, to select the top shot from the winners in 2014. At least a couple of filmies in there! Get voting...

Don't know if folks on here noticed, there's now a poll for full POTY membership, to select the top shot from the winners in 2014. At least a couple of filmies in there! Get voting...

Correct - it's for the "Members Choice" slot in the 2014 book that we're (well, at least the literate members of the Staff are... lets me out obviously) beavering away at behind the scenes making sure that this time everythings (hopefully) there, and that the text is properly proof-read before going off for the book designers to do their stuff (and probably mangle it again)...

Thanks Carl, spent quite a lot of time and 4 rolls of film on that one.

Was a difficult one for me this month! By which I mean that I left it to the last minute again and had to rush, but my film entry is in :)

In a weird and uncharacteristic like turn of events, my September entry was ready nearly 7 months ago :LOL:

Still one film tog left in the top 10 for August! Congrats, whoever you are... ;)

Well done @steveo_mcg for a well-deserved top ten place (in my excitement I've forgotten quite which; equal fourth?) in August! I didn't recognise it as you 'cos we see so few colour shots from you, but really excellent!

Cheers Chris, I must admit I was surprised when it got through and when the results came out I skipped right to the end to see the comments not expecting more than 10th. The shot I went out to take for this round, and spent a lot of evenings trying for, had a bad colour cast that I didn't have time to correct so the sheep stood in . I really am terrible at predicting what will be to others taste. Still a splash of colour now and again keeps things interesting.

Well done Chris, I didn't realise how close Carl was or I might have entered any old rubbish to get my 12.

Yes, well done Chris a cracking shot indeed.

Andy

Thanks guys. I entered that early in the month, then printed it and hung it on the wall, to realise that it should have been lower key. Still, very pleased.

Well done Chris, cracking shot.

I'm going to have to up my game, Chris is making a late run up the rails. (y)

There's a risk we'll submit the same shot for one of the next months! But I don't think you need worry over much, Andy.

Did you manage to shoot some slide Mark. @TheBigYin
For the staff POTY? No tat was just the tail end of a roll of Kodak 160 pro that I'd got hanging around in the spare back of the Bronny. I basically just took a roll of Acros 100 in one back, and 9 frames of the Kodak in the other

For the staff POTY? No tat was just the tail end of a roll of Kodak 160 pro that I'd got hanging around in the spare back of the Bronny. I basically just took a roll of Acros 100 in one back, and 9 frames of the Kodak in the other

Ah it had a provia transparency look about it. Lovely shot though.

Well done Chris, a really lovely shot. I told you I was going to have to buck my ideas up, a late run on the rails and your now only 11 points behind. :runaway::D

Fantastic shot Chris, well deserved win.

Wow, thanks guys, I didn't expect that! I thought @AshleyC 's leaf would do it, particularly after the public voting...

Ah it had a provia transparency look about it. Lovely shot though.

thanks... Must admit, it was taken back in March, and I had just been hanging on to finish another couple of rolls to send them off for processing together, but hadn't managed to get out and shoot anything. So, with the deadline looming for October, I pretty much just had to send the roll off and hope that I hadn't screwed up :)

Wow, thanks guys, I didn't expect that! I thought @AshleyC 's leaf would do it, particularly after the public voting...

Was my favourite shot of the whole bunch mate, deserved winner (y)

Just goes to show what can happen when you're on a trip dedicated to photography, rather than trying to fit it in with a walk with the family/non photographer friends ;)

Just goes to show what can happen when you're on a trip dedicated to photography, rather than trying to fit it in with a walk with the family/non photographer friends ;)

Oh, a heartfelt "yes" to that! Thanks Mark and Steven. BTW: expired Reala 100 (2007) shot at 64 I think, Pentax MX, Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 close focus lens, monopod. I do so love that film, when things come right. Processed and scanned by FilmDev. Just got my second batch back from them, and I think they deserve to be in the front post of the film processing thread. I'll try to remember to comment on that thread...

I must admit I was shocked to scrape into the top ten, especially since I'd messed up the developing. The Dust that one of the judges rightly pulled me up on (@Steve?) was clumps of silver or ions or something from the developer or the tap water. It was all over the negative at I'd have spent days spotting it so enter and be dammed :)

i just put it in to bolster the numbers a little more. Mathematically i couldnt win when i entered it so im not stealing anyones thunder, i just want to pad things up a bit more. Its a good comp, just annoying that things get fiddled about with!

It was a lovely shot, Ashley!

First of all, an apology. I should have posted in here when I made the announcement about POTY 2016.

If you've had a look, you'll see that there will be no film POTY next year. Of course, that doesn't stop you setting up your own if one of you is happy to run it. If you do decide to do it, I'm happy to help in setting it up needs be.

First of all, an apology. I should have posted in here when I made the announcement about POTY 2016.

If you've had a look, you'll see that there will be no film POTY next year. Of course, that doesn't stop you setting up your own if one of you is happy to run it. If you do decide to do it, I'm happy to help in setting it up needs be.

I don't think it's ever been necessary to have a side competition, it was nice to have but more so us back markers had some interest. It probably kept me playing where a lot of the digital back markers give up by month four or five. Some of the residents of F&C have proven that one can keep towards the top of the pile regardless.

The medium doesn't matter, a good photograph is a good photograph. Some may be harder to achieve with the medium we chose and the gear we enjoy but that's "our" problem, we've all got digital cameras of exceptional quality (compared to some of the film gear we use) but for our own reasons we prefer to lug 4kg of mechanical anachronism around, or completely manual boxes that wouldn't be out of place in 1960.

We have the monthly (well monthly *ish*, somewhere between a month and two months...) film challenges that are well liked and get a lot of entries. Perhaps if we made the time line more disciplined and structured we could fashion that into some sort of informal FPOTY?

We have the monthly (well monthly *ish*, somewhere between a month and two months...) film challenges that are well liked and get a lot of entries. Perhaps if we made the time line more disciplined and structured we could fashion that into some sort of informal FPOTY?

I have noticed these slide somewhat in the last 18 months. I think a few of the regulars have been busy/away with real life and the few of us concentrating on poty have contributed to that. I think we just need to be better at doing the challenges they're better for community cohesion too imo.

I agree Steven, I only kept it on this year as I thought that's what you guys wanted.
It was a good thing I think, it got a few of us out of F&C which is an achievement in itself. My problem and a few others of the residency is that our style doesn't really suit competition and I think without the sub competition I'd have given up far quicker. It's demoralising when you rarely pop up to the points which I think is probably the main problem with the primary competition. A few fantastic photographers who consistently shoot competition winning shots do tend to dominate. I'm hopeful that this will be lessened with dedicated categories, I'm not expecting to do any better :).

I agree Steven, I only kept it on this year as I thought that's what you guys wanted.

I was certainly very pleased to see it again this year, and I like the current format better than last year's. If there were a film-only POTY next year, I might well be tempted. As for entry in the current setup, I guess I'll be reviewing my ideas come Septemberish!

By the way, thanks very much @fabs for organising this year's POTYs... I don't think that's said often enough!

Is there enough interest for a film only POTY? If so what form should it take?

Is there enough interest for a film only POTY? If so what form should it take?

Two options occur to me, if we wanted to do this:

a) do something similar to this year's competition, with preset monthly themes (*1), but with voting as we do with our film challenges, rather than giving folk the onerous task of judging

b) just add a 6th competition parallel to next year's, for film but with open genre (or whatever), closing the same time. Judging could be either be by voting (*2), or by asking the POTY judges to look at this extra competition as well.

*1 A variation would be to timetable our current challenges more strictly, perhaps select the theme for a couple of months ahead rather than just the current month or the whole year, and accumulate points as this year.

*2 Not sure how well voting might work if there were a significant number of entries, under the current poll system. OTOH other forums manage it, like (EDIT) PentaxForums (link in this blank for some reason) PentaxForums... a two stage process in that case... they have over 100 entrants most months

Last edited:
Not sure I understand what you guys are talking about!!

The Talk photography site is ditching the film section POTY,why,it has been a great contributor in the last four years,this year more than most as the digital guys seem to have walked away,is it because it is to difficult to judge? Well all you have to do is nominate judges that know what they are talking about when it comes to film.

I think that as F&C is a valued participant to the overall balance of the site why should proper film photography be neglected. If the owners do not want this then say so,If it is just to much to administrate then say so. I am sure there is a way around.

What is the point of isolating film work in the POTY,other than to get rid of it.

Last edited:
I don't know what the underlying issue is with holding a monthly POTY competition. Number of entries declining is being cited as one reason. A lot of effort on the admin and judges part being another. Well, people aren't going to enter when they know they aren't going to win so numbers will always drop off. And if people don't want to accept the effort involved (much appreciated effort btw before anything thinks otherwise) then don't volunteer to do it. I don't see these as being valid reasons to change the format.

Secondly the new format, isn't it like deciding the premiership based on one game at the end of the year? This is Photographer of the Year but we now aren't judging work across that year which seems totally self defeating and really dilutes the title. Going back to the workload aspect of the current format. Say this new format really works and you get 50 people entering, all at once with 2 to 10 entries each since they can enter 2 per category. The judges have now potentially just been avalanched with a possible 500 images to sort through, administrate, judge and report back on. Can you really see that working smoothly? If the behind the scenes people don't like the load as it is now whats going to happen then?

Getting rid of the film section is a good thing as it should all be about the image and i get a distinct and utterly unprovable impression that the film entries have suffered due to having the 2 separate formats, so i'm glad that's gone. If we want a private one to ourselves then that's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back