FILM Photographer of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really keen for a film POTY within this section which is kept totally separate from the regular POTY. If there's a way I can help then I'm happy to put a bit of time in with it (though ideally within a role that still allows me to enter :) )

We could call it "Fusty and Crusty of the Year" !! :D

or perhaps the "TP Worldwide Awards for Traditional photography", then the winner could have "T.W.A.T of the year 2016" under their name :D :D

... then the winner could have "T.W.A.T of the year 2016" under their name :D :D

Careful you don't annoy any mods now, Carl, that's really leading with your chin... :) Ooops, so am I :(

I'd be up for that. I'd see it as a real challenge to try and become the unofficial forum t*** to go alongside my official idiot title. Bring it on.

The Talk photography site is ditching the film section POTY,why,it has been a great contributor in the last four years

Apologies for the pedantry but we are currently in the 3rd year of the film section

this year more than most as the digital guys seem to have walked away

10 entered the Film POTY in January, only 3 entered in November. Drop off rate is roughly similar to that of digital entries

I think that as F&C is a valued participant to the overall balance of the site why should proper film photography be neglected. If the owners do not want this then say so,If it is just to much to administrate then say so. I am sure there is a way around.

Who is neglecting film photography. We're just not separating it out into a separate competition.

What is the point of isolating film work in the POTY,other than to get rid of it.

Who is isolating film work. It's Photographer of the Year, the medium is irrelevant.

if people don't want to accept the effort involved (much appreciated effort btw before anything thinks otherwise) then don't volunteer to do it.

I don't believe anyone has said that they don't want to accept the effort involved.

Secondly the new format, isn't it like deciding the premiership based on one game at the end of the year? This is Photographer of the Year but we now aren't judging work across that year which seems totally self defeating and really dilutes the title.

It's a photographic competition, not a football tournament. As I said in the other thread, this is how the other (Portrait/Landscape/Wildlife) POTY competitions work

Going back to the workload aspect of the current format. Say this new format really works and you get 50 people entering, all at once with 2 to 10 entries each since they can enter 2 per category. The judges have now potentially just been avalanched with a possible 500 images to sort through, administrate, judge and report back on. Can you really see that working smoothly? If the behind the scenes people don't like the load as it is now whats going to happen then?

Bearing in mind, those entries will be divided amongst 5 sections and the judges will have a month to select the top 10 shortlists, I don't foresee any issues.

Only one film entry in the top ten but its a good one. I think I know who shot it..... I need a cracker for December. :D

As we are finishing off this years film challenges with @excalibur2 's Christmas special. What are filks views of running a more structures film photographer of the year within the the hallowed walls of fusty & crusty?

I'm not thinking anything changing radically but just a set of 12 monthly themes, chosen at the start of the year and submitted before the end of each month. Sort of what we do now but a little more structured, imagine a competition organised by Roberts.

As we are finishing off this years film challenges with @excalibur2 's Christmas special. What are filks views of running a more structures film photographer of the year within the the hallowed walls of fusty & crusty?

I'm not thinking anything changing radically but just a set of 12 monthly themes, chosen at the start of the year and submitted before the end of each month. Sort of what we do now but a little more structured, imagine a competition organised by Roberts.

Well I don't mind (y) if the weather is taken into consideration for anything out doors....h'mm unless it's a miserable day theme :(

I am a bit more likely to enter if we did. My problem is taking *and* developing my entries within the entry period. I still have an undeveloped reflection shot for last month's . . .

I am a bit more likely to enter if we did. My problem is taking *and* developing my entries within the entry period..

I did think about this a bit... it's not so bad if the list of themes is known in advance, apart from the first month, obviously. But for some who run many cameras, finishing a film with the shot on it can be a problem too. Still, we sometimes get quite a few entrants for the current format, where we have no notice of the theme before the month starts.

Would the idea that this is a continuing competition, rather than just a random challenge for enjoyment, put anyone off, do you think? I believe some folk (not the filmies, the other more competitive sort ;) ) have been dropping out of the main competition as it went on as they felt they didn't have much chance after a poor early result or two... Wouldn't like to see that happening here...

Knowing what to shoot upfront is very helpful on the other hand the good thing about the current challenges is that it gets one out taking pictures not hoarding shots from March. On the third hand, the last few challenges have been under represented. In summary I don't know.

How about if we had a clause which allows 2 shots to be entered that are from your archives, just as a buffer for those months when we don't manage to finish of a film etc.

Andy

We could also ask for suggestions for themes and just draw 12 out of the hat.?

So do we think there's enough interest to run our own?

@TheBigYin I assume there's no problem from the mods?

Well done to ChrisR... again. An excellent shot and well deserved top film shot.

It's close now, only 6 points in it. :D

Well done to ChrisR... again. An excellent shot and well deserved top film shot.

It's close now, only 6 points in it. :D

Thanks Andy. I was worried I might have over-post-processed that shot; trying to boost the storminess of the top, the water at the right went rather granular. But it seems to have paid off. You'll be pleased to know there are no more Lake District shots up my sleeve!

Five points between us this week, 6 points overall, I think you're IT, Andy, unless you really come a cropper this month...(y)

Thanks Andy. I was worried I might have over-post-processed that shot; trying to boost the storminess of the top, the water at the right went rather granular. But it seems to have paid off. You'll be pleased to know there are no more Lake District shots up my sleeve!

Five points between us this week, 6 points overall, I think you're IT, Andy, unless you really come a cropper this month...(y)

The way things are going so far this is a real likelihood. :runaway:

Well that's very good news for filmies when you think that they are outnumbered by digi guys and thus because of that, the digi guys have a greater chance of producing a winner.
When digi first started I wonder how many digi guys won competitions.

Last edited:
Huge congratulations, @Andysnap for winning both the December round of FPOTY15 and the year overall. Not bad for a colour blind bloke, eh? (Do we believe him, folks? Nah!)

So WTF was your image, Andy?

Thanks folks, I'm on the road at the mo so I'll respond more later.

Just popped in to say well done to Andy @Andysnap for getting Film Photographer of the Year 2015 (y) and to all you guys for producing great work across the year that often outshone the digital offerings.

Kudos to you all (y)

Congratulations Andy,well done.(y)

Fantastic achievement @Andysnap brilliant set of photos and well done to @ChrisR for pushing him all the way. Congratulations to all the filmy types that entered, I am ashamed that I didn't enter more rounds but I am happy with my 1 point cos it's not the winning that counts it's the taking part :D

Thanks all. I'll show the original shot later.
When do I get the crown of empty film canisters?:D :)

Well, after entering every month in last year's POTY, I think I'm going to miss the first month of FPOTY this year :( Off to Romania on Sunday and won't get back til very late Friday night. I promise to do better next month though :p

Well, after entering every month in last year's POTY, I think I'm going to miss the first month of FPOTY this year :( Off to Romania on Sunday and won't get back til very late Friday night. I promise to do better next month though :p
I think as we all need time to get the first roll shot and dev'd that theire will be an element of flexibility

H'mm and not one beautiful face to be seen? :eek:

I expect there will be many, but I'm going over for work so won't get much spare time. Also it's been minus 16 degrees there this week and I plan to spend all my spare time in local bars warming myself up with their super cheap tasty beer :D

This FPOTY16 being unofficially dead, just a quick reminder to enter into one of the main POTY16 competitions, close tomorrow if I'm not mistaken!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back