Beginner Film Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, thanks for attempting to disrupt and ruin a perfectly good thread with your negativity. Have a great day!
Phil and I have disagreed in the past but I think that his points in this thread have been valid.

Those of us with a great deal of experience using both film and digital have a wider view of what might be the advantages and drawbacks of each medium than a newcomer. It's also the case that when posting on a public forum many of us don't respond only to a single question but try to discuss around the subject.

Phil and I have disagreed in the past but I think that his points in this thread have been valid.

Those of us with a great deal of experience using both film and digital have a wider view of what might be the advantages and drawbacks of each medium than a newcomer. It's also the case that when posting on a public forum many of us don't respond only to a single question but try to discuss around the subject.

The title of the thread involves "opinions", please don't get me wrong - I'm perfectly happy discussing mediums and various surrounding topics (hence why I joined a forum). To reiterate what I previously said: I'm looking for a balanced overview and am more than happy to discuss the subject in general. I don't find it constructive to have someone negatively stamp on a perfectly harmless thread asking for help and advice by telling me how much they dislike a medium I'm looking to experiment with. We get it, your experience is going to trump my lack of, but I simply don't care for someone throwing this in my face when there is no need, it doesn't provide any substance and is quite frankly: pointless.

Any form of art is completely subjective, relative and personal. If you can't deal with this then that isn't an excuse to ruin the light for someone else.

Digital format is not in the equation.
It's not because I think poorly or lesser of it... I have my reasonings and thoughts behind far beyond this forum which I do not have, or wish, to explain. I appreciate the gesture of someone, with greater experience, offering insight as to how/why/personal experience, but there's a way to go about things if you're trying to educate someone :)

Anyway, this thread is pretty much dead at this point - apologies for any newbies like me who were asking themselves a similar question, scroll back to page 1 & 2 for the good stuff!

The title of the thread involves "opinions", please don't get me wrong - I'm perfectly happy discussing mediums and various surrounding topics (hence why I joined a forum). To reiterate what I previously said: I'm looking for a balanced overview and am more than happy to discuss the subject in general. I don't find it constructive to have someone negatively stamp on a perfectly harmless thread asking for help and advice by telling me how much they dislike a medium I'm looking to experiment with. We get it, your experience is going to trump my lack of, but I simply don't care for someone throwing this in my face when there is no need, it doesn't provide any substance and is quite frankly: pointless.

Any form of art is completely subjective, relative and personal. If you can't deal with this then that isn't an excuse to ruin the light for someone else.

Digital format is not in the equation.
It's not because I think poorly or lesser of it... I have my reasonings and thoughts behind far beyond this forum which I do not have, or wish, to explain. I appreciate the gesture of someone, with greater experience, offering insight as to how/why/personal experience, but there's a way to go about things if you're trying to educate someone :)

Anyway, this thread is pretty much dead at this point - apologies for any newbies like me who were asking themselves a similar question, scroll back to page 1 & 2 for the good stuff!
Phil's from Yorkshire. ;)

mug.jpg

Do you think that telling me how much digital shooting improved your photographic skills by 10 years has any influence on whether or not I intend to buy a film camera? :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps if you mentioned specific film cameras you used, personal experience from using controls/handling/any faults that were reoccurring to the point where it impacted you even picking the camera up. Perhaps if you mentioned the developing process and whether it was self-developed with kit and a scanner at home, or if you had a poor experience with an in-house developer. Perhaps if you mentioned the types of shooting you did using a film camera and how the individual camera/lens combo didn't do the shot justice. See? Not exactly difficult is it?

I'm also from Yorkshire ;)

Apologies if you think I’m trying to ‘stamp on’ anything @ark0101

I merely mentioned that I believe film as a medium has had its day, that’s my opinion and we could have left it there. :)

it turned into an ‘argument’ when you gave what is IMHO a very bad reason to want to shoot film.

im happy for anyone to pursue their hobby in any way they like, but if they feel they want to shoot film as a tool to limit their shots or to slow them down, frankly that’s just daft (yes I’m from Yorkshire and am known to be quite blunt) :)

The EOS 5 is still up for grabs and has the added bonus of using the same lenses as the digital cameras when you’ve realised this was a passing phase ;)

I merely mentioned that I believe film as a medium has had its day, that’s my opinion and we could have left it there. :)

it turned into an ‘argument’ when you gave what is IMHO a very bad reason to want to shoot film.

im happy for anyone to pursue their hobby in any way they like, but if they feel they want to shoot film as a tool to limit their shots or to slow them down, frankly that’s just daft (yes I’m from Yorkshire and am known to be quite blunt) :)

The EOS 5 is still up for grabs and has the added bonus of using the same lenses as the digital cameras when you’ve realised this was a passing phase ;)

:ROFLMAO: why do you keep asking if I'm interested in purchasing something from you?

It's not my fault your bitterness for a type of art has consumed you to the point you feel entitled to take it from others.

"A passing phase" hope you manage to take some good shots upon your high horse ;) A sad mentality really, hope that attitude helps you sleep easier.

You don't know anything about my creative background, or my in depth reasonings - just a mere few points that scratched the surface and all of a sudden you evaluate and conclude? Seems a little amateur..

Alas, this is the satisfaction and entertainment value you were hoping for - so congratulations! I'll be sure to think of how your lack of creative mindset and imagination stumped your photographic skills that you now hold such a grudge, when I'm buying my 35mm film camera and having a wonderful time exploring and experimenting :ROFLMAO:

EOS 5? Everyone knows that Canon is rubbish. Much better to get a proper camera, like a Nikon.

I think due to my terrible reasonings I should only be entitled to shoot via digital format, perhaps just my mobile phone? :ROFLMAO: I would hate to rattle the gods of "Pro-(online forum) photographers".

if they feel they want to shoot film as a tool to limit their shots or to slow them down

Also - this is not a summary or an accurate representation of why I wish to shoot film :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: hahaha shows just how much you've jumped to conclusions on this one :wave:

I think due to my terrible reasonings I should only be entitled to shoot via digital format, perhaps just my mobile phone? :ROFLMAO: I would hate to rattle the gods of "Pro-(online forum) photographers".
Only if it's Android. Everyone knows iPhones are just for posers.

What we should really be emphasising to newcomers is the vital importance of using protective UV filters at all times...

What's a UV filter? Similar to an air-con filter?

hahaha shows just how much you've jumped to conclusions on this one
Just because you disagreed with a poster there is absolutely no reason to disruptively edit this thread by removing your posts.
They have now been reinstated, as the thread made no sense whatsoever.
Although much of which you have posted was quoted anyway.

Don't forgot you are "talking" to more than one person here and many others may well find the information useful.
Even if don't.

Please don't do it again.

What's a UV filter? Similar to an air-con filter?
It's a lens accessory whose original purpose is lost in the mists (or perhaps haze) of time. Today, its main function is to serve as the focal point of endless pointless arguments in photography forums. These typically begin when someone asks which one they should buy. Within a dozen posts, the thread will have degenerated into an irrelevant discussion between those who think they are useful, and those who believe they should never be used. Often, the debate becomes quite heated. Nobody knows why.

See also: film vs digital, SLR vs mirrorless, Canon vs Nikon.

PS: You should probably revert the thread title before it upsets a moderator.

Also - this is not a summary or an accurate representation of why I wish to shoot film :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: hahaha shows just how much you've jumped to conclusions on this one :wave:
I’ll just leave this here :)
I appreciate your opinion, but personally I feel this is the antithesis for me. Within a digital era where refinement, fine-tuning and alteration becomes more important (by default), compared to a slower approach - thus resulting in style over substance. To rethink before you take a shot because you have 24-36 shots in a roll of film, compared to endless using digital. Sure, editing and post is fun, but it comes down to how each individual would like to capture, the reason, and each visual vision :) I find that all of my energy is pushed into the image from the offset, because I'm forced to look at composition, lighting and really make sure this is the shot (out of 36) I would like to take. Again, not saying you're incorrect, just my personal opinion entirely. Thanks for your input!
Not my conclusion, but your words. :)

Well that's that done with then

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back