Film Scanner Oil Traces

Name
Kane Smith
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently got a refurbished Epson V600 for scanning 35mm film, however some of the scans contain what looks like an oil trace on them. I have tried different negatives but they all give the same trace in that area of the scanner.

I've tried cleaning the glass with a microfiber cloth and compressed air, to the eye it's completely clean and I can't see these traces on the scanner or lightbox glass, yet it still appears on the image.

I'm really not sure what's causing this and any help would be appreciated.

tBgre74.jpg

Those are 'Newtons Rings' caused when the film touches the scanner glass (you can get the same when using an enlarger with glass negative carriers)- the very small gap next to where the film touches is of the order of a wavelength of light and you get interference patterns. Check that your negative holder is keeping your film flat and just off the surface of the scanner glass - if the negatives are curled downward then you could scan them the other way up and reverse in software/

Looks like 'Newton's rings' caused by the negative touching the glass and resting on it. Are your negatives quite curled down the middle? If so, try leaving them between some heavy books for a few days to flatten them and scan again. Hope this is useful.

Glad to be of help; I have an Epson V600 scanner too and have found it to be quite good. I generally scan at 3200 dpi as I've found this seems to give the most detail.

Back