Film scanning for lots of negatives

Edit My Images
No
I am considering digitising my grandparents photo collection for them, so that they can view them all again on a tablet, at that age where shifting through lots of prints is not that ideal, but am sure they will appreciate the memory’s to make it worth while.

I am after a system that is fast and efficient, does anyone have any recommendations as to model/type I should be looking for as I will be scanning hundreds of negatives

Thanks

I bought a used USB attached Minolta Dimage negative scanner through this forum. The biggest problem is driver support for 'modern ' operating systems such as Windows 10. My solution was to use an old spare laptop with XP on it.

I know many will react adversly to this but if you are only going to be looking at 35mm and viewing them on a tablet then one of the Web Cam in a box scanners that sell for £20 to £30 from Aldi or Lidl or Amazon will be quick and efficient. Once you have catalogued them you can always choose to get better scans if you want to. For larger than 35mm then a diffuse light source and a point and shoot digital will get them to a state where you can spend ages fiddling on the computer to get colour balance and exposure right.

First thing is, what size are the negatives?

And likewise, what type of film? Black and white, colour negative, or slides? Colour negative is the hardest to scan with accurate colour, particularly in the arrangements that @dmb suggests...

And likewise, what type of film? Black and white, colour negative, or slides? Colour negative is the hardest to scan with accurate colour, particularly in the arrangements that @dmb suggests...
If you can get hold of them (lots on ebay), the Minolta Dimage file scanners can handle both negatives and transparencies. I ended up with two scanners, a SCSI version and a USB version. The SCSI version has a magazine that will process APS (remember them?) cartridges, I needed one as my wife had a huge collection of APS films going back over the years. APS films were a doddle to scan.

Last edited:
If you can get hold of them (lots on ebay), the Minolta Dimage file scanners can handle both negatives and transparencies. I ended up with two scanners, a SCSI version and a USB version. The SCSI version has a magazine that will process APS (remember them?) cartridges, I needed one as my wife had a huge collection of APS films going back over the years. APS films were a doddle to scan.
I got mine off Amazon for £30-£35. I use it with Windows 7. It works great.

Back