[Filter Fantastic] - Interesting interpretation of "the lenses are clean"

I've just checked and there's a difference of 19 between the most recent file number (DSC_0156) and the recorded total shutter count (175), which I guess could probably be accounted for by me shooting the camera with no card in or similar? I can't remember if I did do that, but probably. However, it's not saying thousands, so it seems reasonable (to me) to think that it's not a refurb.

<shrug>

dave

Sorry Dave but that's not an accurate form of revealing the shutter counts, you will need capture NX or photoshop (the two methods I'm aware of and use) there will be other methods of retrieval but I guess you'll have to Google for the alternatives. Plus, the shutter count doesn't have to be in the thousands to confirm that it's a refurb, all that had to happen was the camera be broken or have a fault on first purchase, it would then go back to the supplier and be reconditioned, it may have very little on the clock in terms of actuations.

Anyway, in case it may help:

In Photoshop you open up a recent image taken with the camera, hit >FILE, scroll down the >FILE INFO and click.

Step1a.png

A window will open, it may look a little different to the picture I've uploaded but the fundamentals remain the same.
You need to click >ADVANCED, scroll down to where it displays 'Schema (http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux/) or similar, then you will have 'aux:ImageNumber: ........

Notice at the top of the second image it displays IMG_0002.NEF, the counter was reset before the image was taken because the true shutter count in my case is 31297 actuations.

Step2a.png

I have blurred out the serial number :cautious:

Have a good look at http://www.filterfantastic.co.uk/, the last time I checked this over, I couldn't find anything that implied that they sell UK stock, just second hand, refurbs and grey imports. However their ebay page is quite the contrary (the last time I checked).

FF don't sell UK stock. Period.
UK stock is not available at those prices, you know the saying 'If it's too good to be true = it is.'

Last edited:
Sorry Dave but that's not an accurate form of revealing the shutter counts, you will need capture NX or photoshop (the two methods I'm aware of and use) there will be other methods of retrieval but I guess you'll have to Google for the alternatives. Plus, the shutter count doesn't have to be in the thousands to confirm that it's a refurb, all that had to happen was the camera be broken or have a fault on first purchase, it would then go back to the supplier and be reconditioned, it may have very little on the clock in terms of actuations.

Anyway, in case it may help:

In Photoshop you open up a recent image taken with the camera, hit >FILE, scroll down the >FILE INFO and click.

Step1a.png

A window will open, it may look a little different to the picture I've uploaded but the fundamentals remain the same.
You need to click >ADVANCED, scroll down to where it displays 'Schema (http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux/) or similar, then you will have 'aux:ImageNumber: ........

Notice at the top of the second image it displays IMG_0002.NEF, the counter was reset before the image was taken because the true shutter count in my case is 31297 actuations.

Step2a.png

I have blurred out the serial number :cautious:

Tomas i don't get that sequence when i open a file in photoshop :thinking:

Tomas i don't get that sequence when i open a file in photoshop :thinking:

What version of photoshop do you have mate?

Also where does the differences begin i.e, >FILE >FILE INFO?

The file info could be in another drop down menu but the best way of checking is to search in your photoshop help menus for 'FILE INFO'

May seem silly but also make sure your not opening a file with the exif stripped out or a highly compressed JPEG.

Let me know how you get on. (y)

Last edited:
What version of photoshop do you have mate?

Also where does the differences begin i.e, >FILE >FILE INFO?

The file info could be in another drop down menu but the best way of checking is to search in your photoshop help menus for 'FILE INFO'

May seem silly but also make sure your not opening a file with the exif stripped out or a highly compressed JPEG.

Let me know how you get on. (y)

Tomas i'm using CS4 and this is what i'm getting

exif-1.jpg

you have to scroll down i think tg, or minimize the open folders;)

Tomas is in the third folder, you only have the first

Tomas i'm using CS4 and this is what i'm getting

I can't see all the folders from the image you have there, but I can see that there are some folders that aren't open, try opening them all by clicking the small dark arrow icons.

It's certainly there it's just a case of 'where's wally'

you have to scroll down i think tg, or minimize the open folders;)

Tomas is in the third folder, you only have the first

This is a bit odd, as Tomas is showing 7 folders and mine is showing 5, however mine is the 1st one and Tomas is the 3rd down, but i have scrolled through meticulously and their is no file count :thinking:

exif-2.jpg

its much easier just to shoot a JPEG and use Opanda EXIF to read the count.

its much easier just to shoot a JPEG and use Opanda EXIF to read the count.

Quite true i guess, but this has just got me curious now :)

I've just returned a Nikon refurb, it had over 4000 actuations on it, dirt in the viewfinder, oh and the af was knackered.

Refurbished by JP Solutions - the same people that send me a secondhand Ezybox as new :cautious:

My D300 was purchased as a refurbished model from Jessops. When asked, I was told it was probably a camera that was returned under their 30 day no quibble returns policy. It had 1700 actuations on it, but other than that is as new. It was refurbished by J.P. Solutions who I was told by Nikon are actually part of Jessops. I've still got a year's warranty, and saved nearly £300 on the new price, and got an Extreme III 8GB card thrown in, so I'm happy with that!

My D40x was done by J.P and was fine. It did have actuation on it (sold as new, and unused by H48), but it didn't really bother me as it was mint and looked new,and worked fine.

Quite true i guess, but this has just got me curious now :)

Try opening a RAW file mate, I'm not convinced but maybe the JPEG's don't have as many folders in the file info? :shrug:

Try opening a RAW file mate, I'm not convinced but maybe the JPEG's don't have as many folders in the file info? :shrug:

Spot on Tomas, RAW has 7 folders and give's the exif info, thanks mate (y)

Sorry Dave but that's not an accurate form of revealing the shutter counts, you will need capture NX or photoshop (the two methods I'm aware of and use) there will be other methods of retrieval but I guess you'll have to Google for the alternatives.

I only have photoshop elements 6, and I can't find it there. I got the figure I gave from using exiftool, which was what I got from using google.

I know what you're saying, however from my point of view, they've offered a new UK camera and what I have appears to be so. if it's not I can't tell.

If I had found out their reputation before I bid, then I might not have done, however I did and I got what I asked for (as far as I know). all my attempts so far to determine if it's hooky have failed. I have no basis so far to return it or to claim on my credit card, and if I did, I'd have to pay at least another £250 for a new one.

If something goes wrong with it and then it turns out to be hooky, then I'll have to deal with that problem then, but for now, I have a nice camera at not too bad a price.

I'm just gonna hope nothing goes wrong with it and enjoy it :)

dave

If something goes wrong with it and then it turns out to be hooky, then I'll have to deal with that problem then, but for now, I have a nice camera at not too bad a price.

I'm just gonna hope nothing goes wrong with it and enjoy it :)

dave

That's the stance I had to take with my 24-70 f/2.8L (when I shot Canon), the lens worked but I couldn't have a warranty and in Finland you can't even insure an item without a proper sales VAT receipt.

I learnt my lesson and will never buy from them again.
Liars and cheats like FF should not be allowed to trade, it's a miracle they are allowed to continue :shrug:

FILTERFANTASTICS ARE CROOKS THEY TOOK £1500 FROM ME BUT I DIDNT GET NOTHING BACK, STILL TRYING TO GET IN CONTACT BUT MAKING STUPID EXCUSES

In your other thread you state ...

" i brought a very high end camera and ended up not liking it "

Now you say ....

" THEY TOOK £1500 FROM ME BUT I DIDNT GET NOTHING BACK "

Make your mind up .... Did you get it or not? ... :thinking:

In your other thread you state ...

" i brought a very high end camera and ended up not liking it "

Now you say ....

" THEY TOOK £1500 FROM ME BUT I DIDNT GET NOTHING BACK "

Make your mind up .... Did you get it or not? ... :thinking:

I think the poster is perfectly clear - he (she) "didn't get nothing" so they did get something for their £1500 but didn't like it and is now complaining

I figured that I should run an update here for good old Tracey Fredericks

http://comica.co.uk/alldigital0869.htm

It doesn't surprise me that Tracy Fredericks and her team of fraudsters are still able to trade.
I honestly thought that justice would be served but that notion withered a few years ago now.

Removal of negative feedback is so bad it's comical. :thumbsdown:

I have only one question for old Tracy;

How about earning an honest living?

**** poor :thumbsdown:

It really is **** poor.

I hope you didn't mind me linking to your threads but I also kinda figured that you would have no objection to it.

I just knocked that page up as I'm all for trying to ruin someone that tried to **** me over.

It really is **** poor.

I hope you didn't mind me linking to your threads but I also kinda figured that you would have no objection to it.

I just knocked that page up as I'm all for trying to ruin someone that tried to ***** me over.

I don't mind at all but whether it will do any good is another question Mike.

Ebay should have banned them from trade along time ago but they simply won't.

As the negative feedback is moderated/censored and coupled with peeps buying without running any check ups, they will keep on merrily scamming. :thumbsdown:

Blimey, im shocked at both the actions of alldigital & ebay!

Cant wait to find out the outcome of all this.

I'm not so sure they have. I've had a few emails from ebayers saying that their neg feedback has mysteriously disappeared too.

They never got mine removed.

Powersellers have account managers who can magic away negative feedback mind you, alledgely.

If you look on the Ebay Community forum, you can usually find posts from buyers who have had Negs removed, often the big "Daily Deal" sellers churning out tat.

Original picture is not loading ? I'm nervous about this happening to me, as I have 2 lenses to sell but am at a loss as to how other people would interpret their condition. Would be interested to see the photo of the lens you were supplied.

I don't want to edit the original post - my domain name got hi-jacked, so I can't access it now.

I still have the image (always good to retain the evidence :LOL:)

DSC_3848-web.jpg

You could well be right, I'll await my call tomorrow and see if I can get any more info.

The response to the email I sent customer services:

Hello Michael,

Thanks for getting in touch. I can understand why you might be concerned
about feedback removal when you leave an honest description of your
experience with your seller 'alldigital0869'.

Michael, I've looked into this and I can see that we have removed the
Feedback you received as it fits one of our Feedback removal criteria.

Please note that our decision to remove the Feedback does not constitute
us finding that the identified Feedback is defamatory or otherwise
unlawful.

While we are able to review activity on eBay accounts when needed,
please understand that I'm not able to discuss our internal systems and
procedures with you.

I know this may not be the answer you were looking for but I hope I've
at least been able to explain our position clearly.

Kind regards,

Terence Durkin
eBay Trust & Safety

I can stop worrying about trying to sell this, at least! :)

http://stuff.denyerec.co.uk/ebay/200_lg_0032.jpg

Staff Edit : Image changed to clickable link. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules. Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back