Filters and Mist

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking around the internet, I can see we have loads of manufacturers making all kinds of filters for every possible occasion we could ever imagine. The filters now come in many different types of materials and in all shapes and sizes but no manufacturer ever seems to tackle the problem of filters misting up.

A really beautiful sunrise this morning only spoilt by constantly have to try and clear the mist from the filters, you would have though that by now with all the technology available to us, someone would do something. As the mornings now start to get a little colder the mist problem will be with us every time we go out. I looked into this last year and tried a few different things such as hand warmers under the lens but I know these can get a bit on the hot side and do worry about damaging the lens. There are also the wire bands that astro people use but I've yet to see one of these that's affordable, simple to use, lightweight and easy to carry.

Come on Lee, Kase, Nisi and all you filter manufacturers help me and thousands of others out. I promise I will get up at silly-o-clock everyday to give your ideas a try.

For filters, just keep them warm, put the filter in your pocket until you need to use it. I really don't think a handwarmer is going damage a metal/glass/silicon lens, I use handwarmes fairly often and have never had a problem but here again body heat is enough, keep the camera and lens inside your coat.

keep them warm
keep the camera and lens inside your coat.

I do exactly the opposite, Chris.

I leave the gear for outdoor weather prior to
shooting… in the car over night — filters and
all but the power sources.

My wildlife gear (including the 600mm ƒ4 and
the D810 combo and other lenses) stay in the
car the whole year protected from shocks and
dust but not temperature changes —though I
never leave the car in the summer Sun!

When these have to come back in, I ziplock
each individually outside before they come in
over night. In the morning, everything is ready.

The only thing that maybe should be kept warm
is the power source.

Last edited:
(including the 600mm ƒ4 and
the D810 combo
Well you would need a BIG coat to get that inside :D

Interesting though. I have left gear in the van overnight, got it out early next morning and it has misted up although usually after about 15 minutes of just sitting around it clears and settles down. That said most of my misting up issues are in caves which are very damp and humid and often waiting for the gear to acclimatise is not an option so keeping the gear warm means it is always ready.

Well you would need a BIG coat to get that inside :D
Indeed! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have left gear in the van overnight, got it out early next morning and it has misted up
Sure… because there was still a temperature difference!
Say the night was -40°C ( Canada not UK! ;)) and I bring
the gear out in -10°C, as the day warmed up a bit, that won't
make much difference but differences closer to 0°C may be
more annoying as the warmer the temperature, the higher
the relative humidity… and the risk of condensation.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated. Kodiak, that's something I've not tried yet and it does make sense. I'll give it a try in the morning, it'll also let me have an extra five minutes in bed as the car will already be loaded. :)

For the last two early mornings, I have put the camera bag in the car the night before and the misting problem has been no where near as bad. Not sure if the last couple of morning have been warmer or any different but the filters haven't misted up at all. Thanks Kodiak.

I often visit a nearby Botanic Garden which has tropical hothouses. Walking into the hot steamy tropics from the cold Scottish outdoors can seriously steam up everything, including the internal glass of lenses and probably the internals of the camera too. My solution is to take my camera gear in a large messenger style shoulder bag which has a wide flat compartment along the bottom. I've often wondered what it was ment for. As it happens it fits a hot water bottle exactly. Given an hour to warm up the camera gear before setting out into the cold outdoors that solves the steamy hothouse problem nicely.

The trick is to minimise the temperature difference between the filter/lens and the atmosphere so that moisture doesn't condense onto the surface. If you still have problems you could try the anti-mist cleaning fluids for sunglasses and motorcycle helmet visors (Bolle and Muc-Off both do one). They're water based so shouldn't damage a filter (though I might think twice before applying it to a resin filter). I haven't tried it though (I never get up that early!).

Ian

I have found a good rocket/air blower and good cleaning cloth is the best way to get condensation off of your filters in the morning when there is high humidity and no wind.
Since changing to NiSi filters a couple of years ago when asked to be an ambassador, I don't have anywhere near the problems I had when I used Lee. I was at Corfe castle last week and it was a great misty morning. There were other photographers there using Lee and they were having to clean their filters every few minutes. I didn't have to clean mine at all. The nano coating on the NiSi really works well in these conditions.
I've been so impressed with them over the last couple of years using them from plus 51 degrees to minus 37 degrees in Death Valley and north Finland. I also run tours in Iceland and in the Alps at high altitude and they perform brilliantly. So much so I am now a distributor.

If you don't want stuff to mist up then it needs to be warmer than the environment - misting is caused by moisture condensing on a surface cooler than the air surrounding it. In an environment below freezing point there is very little moisture in the atmosphere, and condensation will be much less of a problem.

Back