Finding Brown Hares

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been trying to finding Brown Hares and I've not had much luck. Could anyone give me any pointers or tips on recognising their habitats, I know they like grassland and also farmland. I'm guessing they are more active early mornings and at dusk. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Try your local Wildlife trust Rob, they may have a mammal group who might be willing to share information about sites.

I've been finding a lot of grey hairs recently... and I'm not even 30 yet....

Try your local Wildlife trust Rob, they may have a mammal group who might be willing to share information about sites.

Thanks I will try that. I'm not looking for actual locations just tips on how to spot potentially good locations. At present I'm driving around the countryside looking for hares in fields then checking streetmap for public footpaths. This is of course very difficult as hares are good at not being seen and can look like mounds of mud or dry grass.

try cruising the country lanes at first light .you should start to see them soon as there minds will be on breeding

Here on the Isle of Wight I see them on the large open fields that don't have many hedges on them. I don't know if this is typical or not. I certainly never see them when I go looking for them with my camera :-/ I suspect I'd have to set up camp and wait.

Back