Fireworks pics,share your tips..

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
So,this weekend will be like Beirut round here.....

Going to the big display and will be taking kit,inc tripod and cable release.

Manual focus,about f8 ish and low iso is what I think I used last year.

All advice welcome...

So,this weekend will be like Beirut round here.....

Going to the big display and will be taking kit,inc tripod and cable release.

Manual focus,about f8 ish and low iso is what I think I used last year.

All advice welcome...

ISO100 and f8 is a good starting point. You may need k stop down to f11 to protect the highlights believe it or not.

The length of the exposure only really effects the background base image luminosity and the areas where the same fireworks 'burn' onto the sensor. Roman candles (?) are the worst for this. You can using a dark card, or even better a black glove cover the bottom part of the image for say 6 seconds out of a 10 second exposure to stop the bright Roman candles overwriting highlights in top of highlights in that area but still get a few rockets in one shot above. By moving your hand slightly it will feather the edge. You are in essence burning (dodging and burning) in camera doing this.

Or, my preference during the mental bits with loads of rockets going off is to fire continuous 2-4 second shots and combine them in photoshop.

Low iso, f8 to f11, bulb mode, remote shutter release and piece of black card

Here's what I do for the larger organised displays.

What you will need -
Camera - batteries charged, memory cards empty
Tripod
Remote Control (should you have one)
Torch
Warm clothes. ;)

Camera Settings
Camera
Mode - Manual (Fireworks mode if your camera
does not have Manual control)
ISO - Lowest possible (100 or 200)
Shutter - 5 or 6 seconds
Aperture - f8 - f16 maybe higher
White Balance - Tungsten/Incandescent or set for any artificial light in your scene
Flash - Set to off
Image Stabilisation/Vibration Reduction - Set to off if on a tripod

Get there early to find a location. Be aware that when the crowds arrive you may have trouble with people knocking your tripod, so find somewhere with space if possible. Make note of the wind direction, you don't want the smoke going into your face.

Try and Include any scenery such as buildings, bridges etc as they can add interest, and it is a good idea to set your exposure for the object before the start if it is floodlit to get that exposed correctly by adjusting the aperture.

Try to be familiar with how to change your camera settings before the event as trying to change things in the dark can be stressful, which is why the torch can be useful.
Use the remote control setting on your camera or the Self Timer setting.

I focus on the 1st explosion, or any practise explosions, and then set the camera to manual focus so that focus is locked. Some say set the lens to infinity but I've had soft results even when the fireworks were quite a distance away. I normally leave a bit of space at the top of the frame for the higher explosions they tend to throw in, but then most of your fireworks will only cover a small part of your image, it's up to you to decide how you want to frame the explosions. If you zoom in or out, focus again, switching to auto focus, and then back to manual focus when focus is set. Check your exposure after the first few explosions using the aperture to let more or less light in if needed. If you are under exposing set a wider Aperture (lower f number). If you are over exposing set a smaller Aperture (higher f number).

If it is a timed display and you know it is coming to an end, maybe because it is set to music, then shut the aperture down 2-3 stops (higher f number), and maybe the shutter speed lower too, (faster shutter speed) as they tend to throw everything up into the air at the end and you may end up with a big white blob as too many explosions over expose.

Good luck.

Big fire and display at work today so looking forward to getting something decent after what is looking like a long and busy 10 hour working day. Our event usually sells out and despite numerous reminders to our customers we still end up with customers ringing late Saturday PM for tickets and I really hate saying no.

Here's hoping for a dry and wind free night.

Check out the link in my signature for a full guide on fireworks, however basic route is

Bulb mode, f/8-11, ISO100-500 and IS off AF off and then use a shutter release to manage the duration of your exposure based on fireworks intensity

Big fire and display at work today so looking forward to getting something decent after what is looking like a long and busy 10 hour working day. Our event usually sells out and despite numerous reminders to our customers we still end up with customers ringing late Saturday PM for tickets and I really hate saying no.

Here's hoping for a dry and wind free night.

We get a great (free) view of your display from where we are. (y) Last year it was better than the local council one. :cool:

Apologies for this being last minute but my personal schedule has opened up last minute so I figured, I'll go firework shooting ! Is anyone aware of any good events in Birmingham ? Many events happened yesterday sadly and many which are happening today require tickets. Is anyone aware of any free events for tonight ? Thanks.

Hmm, first up, my ebay cheapy remote trigger didnt want to talk to my D500....BUMMER.

SO, given a reasonably short and sharp display, I didnt have a lot of time - had preset the D500 to Iso 100, F8 and MF, 4 sec exp.....

Reasonably happy with the results...

untitled (11 of 11) by Mark P, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 11) by Mark P, on Flickr

Few more on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30938108@N02/albums/72157686998870402
Didn't they remove the rear IR sensor on the D500 meaning the remotes only work from in front of the camera?

We get a great (free) view of your display from where we are. (y) Last year it was better than the local council one. :cool:

Hope you got a better view than me. We were really busy and I had just finished getting everyone in as the first firework went off. We usually run late so I gave it up as a bad job, cashed up and ordered a chicken tikka wrap and onion bhajis instead lol

Just read up on it, there aren't any IR receivers in the D500, you'll need a radio remote from what I read.
Not quite, you can buy any remote designed for Nikon cameras that use the 10 Pin connector. This has normally been the Pro DSLRs and the D200/300/300S and now the D500 cameras. Even the radio remote controls use the same socket to connect to the camera. Basic wired remotes can be had for less that £5 if you look around. If you want a timer and intervalometer, then about £10-£35. Radio remotes can be had for similar prices. For the price of the timer and intervalometer compared to a 'dumb' remote, I would get one of those.

I have a wired copy of the Nikon MC-36A which is £159 on Wex. :eek: I also have a radio remote, a Phottix Plato I think, both were bought many years ago when prices were 3-4 times what they would cost now. Definitely got my money's worth. ;)

My tip is: Don't waste your time by shooting that boring firework pictures. Create something that matters!

Live composite mode...what is this please? Where do I find it? Does it keep the viewfinder open while you shoot?

I liked the old roll film camera for these because I could frame the explosions in the screen, then just use a card in front of the lens and have the cable release locked down. F8 at ASA100 worked - I used to cover the European firework championships in Plymouth each year, both for the City Council and for two of the main firework display teams / makers. I actually came across a few of my old 6x7 trannies from these the other day - I have no idea how to get them into digital to put on th computer though. I threw sheets of them away! I have about 500 sheets of classic boat trannies, I am going to take them to the Maritime Museum in Falmouth next time I am going home.

Last edited:
Live composite mode...what is this please? Where do I find it? Does it keep the viewfinder open while you shoot?

It's a feature on Olympus cameras where you can click the shutter once to set the base exposure, then click again to start Live Composite mode - only new light sources will be added to the frame meaning you can just keep the shutter open and let different fireworks (or any other light source) build up without over exposing the sky...very handy!

It's a feature on Olympus cameras where you can click the shutter once to set the base exposure, then click again to start Live Composite mode - only new light sources will be added to the frame meaning you can just keep the shutter open and let different fireworks (or any other light source) build up without over exposing the sky...very handy!

I wonder if the Fuji has a similar feature they call something else? I was looking for the way you do multiple exposures on Saturday, but I couldn't find it. I am struggling to work the menus to be honest - it isn't all that easy for a high tech reject. :D One of these days I will find out how to put my CDs onto my mobile phone and listen to them when I am out and about.....

My tip is: Don't waste your time by shooting that boring firework pictures. Create something that matters!
What! who are you to tell someone what to photograph or not?
To take fireworks is a very good learning project all about exposure and what you can do with changing the Exposure triangle.
Also, they are taking photos for themselves, not for you.

To take fireworks is a very good learning project all about exposure and what you can do with changing the Exposure triangle.
Buy an oly, put it on a tripod, run the right program and go for a beer, that"s it. :)

But unfortunately that's not "Talk Equipment" here, it's "Talk Photography".

I'm not telling anyone, what to photograph, I've just been asked for a tip, I gave mine. I do not have the power to change anyone"s behavior, so you don"t have to fear me. But maybe someone"s gonna think about it. :)

Fireworks are great (sometimes), but I've never seen a picture which can compete, not a little bit. Compared to reality I find them all boring, sorry.

As Gary Winogrand said (in probably not exactly the same words): If something does"t look better on a photograph than in reality, it didn't work.

Create something that matters.......looking at your flickr images not much of that seems to matter to me. Assuming they matter to you though then you should be adopting the same morals when it comes to people on here wanting to shoot fireworks. It might not matter to you but it does to them!!!

This forum is for people to share photos and knowledge and post like yours do nothing for peoples confidence when they ask for genuine hints and tips.

This forum is for people to share photos and knowledge
A forum is primarily thought for discussion and that works at best by not being personal.

Forums are for getting help and TIPS plain and simple.
I do like your signature though, The world is full of answers. Some are right, and yours comes under some are WRONG.

Last edited:
Buy an oly, put it on a tripod, run the right program and go for a beer, that"s it. :)

But unfortunately that's not "Talk Equipment" here, it's "Talk Photography".

I'm not telling anyone, what to photograph, I've just been asked for a tip, I gave mine. I do not have the power to change anyone"s behavior, so you don"t have to fear me. But maybe someone"s gonna think about it. :)

Fireworks are great (sometimes), but I've never seen a picture which can compete, not a little bit. Compared to reality I find them all boring, sorry.

As Gary Winogrand said (in probably not exactly the same words): If something does"t look better on a photograph than in reality, it didn't work.
So this is not worth trying then?
fireworks.jpg

So this is not worth trying then?
Honestly, not for me.

I've tried that once, when I was young and a beginner. Although your pictures are probably better than mine were, there's no story, no emotion, just a random pattern.

0AA48D12-5741-470B-BAE6-5722799E37C4.jpeg 3796191A-3394-4DD5-B0C0-98D8C9CC3CAE.jpeg 4CFADD63-A928-4FB4-8978-EDE9C03DE4C4.jpeg 412F7243-D6F1-4C82-B021-AB32F82BE49B.jpeg

Sony A7Rii 24-70GM remote release and my settings

Last edited:
I wonder if the Fuji has a similar feature they call something else? I was looking for the way you do multiple exposures on Saturday, but I couldn't find it. I am struggling to work the menus to be honest - it isn't all that easy for a high tech reject. :D One of these days I will find out how to put my CDs onto my mobile phone and listen to them when I am out and about.....

No they don’t

Olympus has the best mode
Panasonic now have it, all,be,it a differing way

There the only 2, but in all honesty you don’t need them ping me if you need guide ok... happy to help

Honestly, not for me.

I've tried that once, when I was young and a beginner. Although your pictures are probably better than mine were, there's no story, no emotion, just a random pattern.
There are various types photography and subjects which do nothing for me, but I don't tell people that their interests are boring and don't matter (to me), and so they should do something else. :rolleyes: :(

I do find it ironic that someone who has no interest in Fireworks, has little to no experience of taking pictures of Fireworks, posts in a thread about asking for tips on taking pictures of Fireworks to tell people not to bother. :eek: :confused: :LOL:

I tend to not look at subjects/threads that don't interest me, and so don't post in them. Each to there own eh! :LOL:

I read "Share your tips!" like an order and I tried to be compliant. And that's the only tip I have. :)

Back