Beginner First 35mm film SLR

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I love digital but have always fancied a nice film camera to shoot with from time to time. I currently own a Nikon DSLR with a couple older AI-S lenses which I love so I'm thinking best to stick with Nikon. I really like the FE2 but they seem to go for around £100. I'm ideally looking to spend no more than £40. Can I get a nice SLR for this kind of price?

Hi Matt,

I've shifted this over to the F&C section for you, leaving the beginner tag in place.
I think you're more likely to get the help you need in here (and they're not all as scary as they look . . . with one or two exceptions :LOL: )

Thank you Sarah. Much appreciated, I'm sure I will get a better response here like you said :)

For that price a Nikon F80.

Cheap and similar in function to a digital Nikon.

I've got 2.

Reactions: Nod
Matt, if you hunt about you might pick up a Nikon FM, which is a great workhorse film camera, for that money. Welcome to the marvellous world of film too!

The options given of the F80 and Fm should be available for around your budget and give you the choice of the more traditional body FM and the newer body with more automatic features if required F80, both are very good bodies to start with. The other worth a look is the F90X.

Good luck and welcome.

£50 will probably buy an FE, which is probably more up your street than an FM (if you've been looking at FE2s). Ignore the fact that a super minty one went for £102 on eBay yesterday, that was an anomaly! The FE is a fantastic camera, one of my favourite 35mm SLR designs.

It may also be worth looking at the FA - a camera that was pretty high end, offering full program exposure in addition to aperture and shutter priority modes, but seems a bit unloved these days. One went on eBay for £40 a few days ago, bargain basement money for the amount of camera that comes with it.

I'd go for the the Nikon FE or F90x.....I like the FE because it can take the old Nikon F (as well as the AIs) lenses and the F90x is a VG second to the F100 and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
A warning has been given for this post
Hi Matt, although an FE would be a good camera, to go with your AI-S lenses I'd say stick with an F80, F90 or if you want to spend more and get the best film camera Nikon produced get an F100
MOD EDIT: NO OFF CLASSIFIEDS SELLING ATTEMPTS PLEASE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matt, although an FE would be a good camera, to go with your AI-S lenses I'd say stick with an F80, F90 or if you want to spend more and get the best film camera Nikon produced get an F100
MOD EDIT: NO OFF CLASSIFIEDS SELLING ATTEMPTS PLEASE.

:eek: remember when F&C used to be a sleepy "backwater" now it's become more popular the mods are swarming here :( Don't forget the rules guys and you can always send an email.

£50 will probably buy an FE, which is probably more up your street than an FM (if you've been looking at FE2s). Ignore the fact that a super minty one went for £102 on eBay yesterday, that was an anomaly! The FE is a fantastic camera, one of my favourite 35mm SLR designs.

It may also be worth looking at the FA - a camera that was pretty high end, offering full program exposure in addition to aperture and shutter priority modes, but seems a bit unloved these days. One went on eBay for £40 a few days ago, bargain basement money for the amount of camera that comes with it.
I'd go for the the Nikon FE or F90x.....I like the FE because it can take the old Nikon F (as well as the AIs) lenses and the F90x is a VG second to the F100 and a lot cheaper.

All I would say to you about the FE is that as an old camera is has more electronic functions that can go wrong and repair is not cheap, I am speaking from experience my FE as cost me over £100 to put back into working condition. My FM and FM2n have cost nothing.

:eek: remember when F&C used to be a sleepy "backwater" now it's become more popular the mods are swarming here :( Don't forget the rules guys and you can always send an email.

I've hardly just begun to hang out in here Brian... and, strictly speaking, sending an email wouldn't be in the spirit of the forum either (and neither would discussing the potential sale via PM or by posting on someones "profile posts page".

To keep things really clean and correct, if you're selling something, you should first post the damned thing as a "for sale" item in the relevant classifieds section (if you still have access...) and then, and only then, could you point out that there may be an item for sale in the classifieds section...

We may well be cracking down on off-classifieds trading attempts - this is partly because lots of the usual classifieds-whores have lost their access because of the new ratio-coding add-on, and partly because people are trying NOT to post in the classifieds to try and keep their ratio down, so that they don't actually have to bother contributing to the greater forum at large. I can't understand why people just don't join in and contribute to the community personally - but - some people are just "takers" I guess...

Oh - and don't forget from the forum rules -

Moderating decisions are not up for public discussion or debate.
Contact the Moderation Team privately using the Contact Us link below.

So - please don't derail this thread further Brian, or you'll find you can no longer post into it...

Last edited:
Well Mark I'm guessing and have no idea how the system works and please excuse my bad memory if I have got everything wrong but:- many years ago before you were a mod you used to post here and I'm guessing that as you were interested in film they made you a mod of this forum, then Yv become interested in film..great. But now mods pop over here who I've never heard of and of course any tiny infringement of the rules would be more likely to be pounced on as they don't realise we are a little community and it's all a bit personal here but do get the feeling big brother is watching more and more.
Appologise guys for side tracking but to me it's all interesting on how the site works.

Got an F90X myself, very nice camera and you can certainly see the ancestral line in later Nikon DSLRs...

Got an F90X myself, very nice camera and you can certainly see the ancestral line in later Nikon DSLRs...

Well I got my F90x at the bootie for £12 with a body stopper of a Nikon F 50mm lens....h'mm dodgy as it could ruin the camera. So there are bargains around.

As an intro to film from the world of digital, I would say that one of the AF SLRs would be ideal. F80s are cheap as chips these days, have a look at Mifsud's, Ffordes and MPB to see what you can expect to pay for one with a warranty as well as keeping an eye out in the classifieds here.

The only problem with the F80 is that it won't meter with not CPU lenses so he will be stuck with Sunny 16 & manual exposure with his AIS glass. Not a hardship with a DSLR but more of a pain if shooting film. Maybe have a look at the F301. Nikon released it to replace the FE2, although for me it is bit of a step backwards. It has aperture priority, program & manual. Shutter speeds up to 1/2000th & an inbuilt winder. its missing the Depth of field preview & the the aperture indication in the viewfinder from the FE2. Think the flash sync is lower too & I can't remember whether it has an exposure lock like the FE2?. F301's go for peanuts on ebay. Think I paid £12.99 for mine there. It's unloved as it was the first of the plastic Nikon's but is a lot of camera for the money.

Would be wary of an F90 due to the sticky plastic problem. My F80 has hardly been used since I bought it new maybe 10 years ago & the back has now gone all sticky on me.

H'mm David remember my problem with the 301 when the release button wouldn't release the lens...well the lens was worth more than the camera body so used a hacksaw :eek: It was solidly made but that release button should be foolproof and maybe a weakness in design.

:)Nikon FE FM or FA will all work well with you MF Ai Ais lenses aperture and manual with FE full manual with FM and multi mode AP/SP/program and Manual with FA but I would imagine you already know that ?
FA was first Nikon to have Matrix multi pattern metering as well as C/W you should be able to get the first two models within your budget and maybe even a FA :) Happy hunting !:nikon:

H'mm David remember my problem with the 301 when the release button wouldn't release the lens...well the lens was worth more than the camera body so used a hacksaw :eek: It was solidly made but that release button should be foolproof and maybe a weakness in design.

I have been exposed to three F301's & none have had that problem. My best mate had one 20 odd years ago & lost it when he split up with his missus. I donated the one that I had to him with a 35-70mm Nikkor to replace it & then a couple of years later wound up buying another one to replace it for myself. None of then ever had any problems with the lens release. I also have an F501, which is the same camera pretty much but AF & again no problems releasing the lens.

I have seen a couple of cases online of the focusing screen dropping down with the F301 & the first replacement one that I bought off ebay had a broken AI tab thanks I imagine to someone trying to put a pre AI lens on it. Maybe you were just unlucky with yours?

I have been exposed to three F301's & none have had that problem. My best mate had one 20 odd years ago & lost it when he split up with his missus. I donated the one that I had to him with a 35-70mm Nikkor to replace it & then a couple of years later wound up buying another one to replace it for myself. None of then ever had any problems with the lens release. I also have an F501, which is the same camera pretty much but AF & again no problems releasing the lens.

I have seen a couple of cases online of the focusing screen dropping down with the F301 & the first replacement one that I bought off ebay had a broken AI tab thanks I imagine to someone trying to put a pre AI lens on it. Maybe you were just unlucky with yours?

True I could be unlucky, but its never happened to me with any other camera make\model. One of the most foolproof system is the Canon breech mount where you have to turn a knurled ring to lock and unlock the lens...h.mm but I'm side tracking as usual :D

To take it slightly off-topic, this thread has done me quite some good in thinking about what I'm doing with film photography. I own a nikon F601, with a f1.4 50mm Nikkor D and an f2.8 24mm. Ie, very good camera, very good lenses. Do I shoot with it? Do I heck as like, because it's plastic and auto-focus and motor-wind and doesn't "feel" like film to me. Instead I end up shooting with car-boot sale and charity shop SLRs and folders.

I'm going to have to think some more about whether I enjoy the process or the result more. In the mean-time, I'm going to bloody well shoot with that Nikon AF and see how it goes. At the very least, the meter is supposed to be good.

To take it slightly off-topic, this thread has done me quite some good in thinking about what I'm doing with film photography. I own a nikon F601, with a f1.4 50mm Nikkor D and an f2.8 24mm. Ie, very good camera, very good lenses. Do I shoot with it? Do I heck as like, because it's plastic and auto-focus and motor-wind and doesn't "feel" like film to me. Instead I end up shooting with car-boot sale and charity shop SLRs and folders.

I'm going to have to think some more about whether I enjoy the process or the result more. In the mean-time, I'm going to bloody well shoot with that Nikon AF and see how it goes. At the very least, the meter is supposed to be good.

erm well surely shoot both as there are times when you want to shoot digi and other times film and there is no time limit to use either ;) I just shoot film as I haven't found a good enough reason to buy a digi anyway the digi I would get would be over £2000....seems a waste of money unless you were bought up in the digi world and don't know if people still use film.

A lot of food for thought here. I did initally look at the F301, F601 & F801 cameras but I'd like an all metal one ideally. I also forgot to mention that I'd like to have an Aperture Priority feature present in the camera I'd go for. Those FA's look quite nice.

A lot of food for thought here. I did initally look at the F301, F601 & F801 cameras but I'd like an all metal one ideally. I also forgot to mention that I'd like to have an Aperture Priority feature present in the camera I'd go for. Those FA's look quite nice.
Contax...

:exit:

There always seems to be lots of recommendations of F80, F90, F301 type cameras when anyone asks for a cheap route into Nikon film, or 35mm SLRs in general. Personally, they just seem so boring - I think part of the fun of film photography is shooting using cameras that do also have a bit of heft, and have more classic styling. A plastic, polycarbonate DSLR-looking film camera? Might as well just shoot a DSLR if I wanted an LCD display and control dials.

£50 buys an FE, or as suggested several times, an FM. Seems a no-brainer, especially since they pair so well with AI-S lenses. Manual lenses, manual metal SLR = great combo.

There always seems to be lots of recommendations of F80, F90, F301 type cameras when anyone asks for a cheap route into Nikon film, or 35mm SLRs in general. Personally, they just seem so boring - I think part of the fun of film photography is shooting using cameras that do also have a bit of heft, and have more classic styling. A plastic, polycarbonate DSLR-looking film camera? Might as well just shoot a DSLR if I wanted an LCD display and control dials.

£50 buys an FE, or as suggested several times, an FM. Seems a no-brainer, especially since they pair so well with AI-S lenses. Manual lenses, manual metal SLR = great combo.

Thank you. Yes I'd like a metal bodied camera where I have to manually advance the film.

Thank you. Yes I'd like a metal bodied camera where I have to manually advance the film.

Best bet would be FE (although there are surprisingly few decent ones on eBay at the moment - maybe just a lull), but the FA is definitely worth keeping an eye on (just because they are not quite in demand, despite being - by all accounts - excellent cameras).

I've got a very similar set of criteria for my Nikon cameras (metal, aperture-priority, manual advance) - which is why I've had an FE, FE2 and F3. All wonderful cameras.

All those cameras we had, got rid, and now long for again Although I had fm, fe, f3, I grew up looking in magazines at Nikon advertising the F2 Photomic... Soon. My choice out of all here though, FE

I love digital but have always fancied a nice film camera to shoot with from time to time. I currently own a Nikon DSLR with a couple older AI-S lenses which I love so I'm thinking best to stick with Nikon. I really like the FE2 but they seem to go for around £100. I'm ideally looking to spend no more than £40. Can I get a nice SLR for this kind of price?

With all of this talk of different Nikons, it is important to remember that film cameras are just light-tight boxes for running film through. Not even one of the cameras mentioned in this thread takes photographs any better than the next. I've previously owned an FM, F801, and F80 and you couldn't tell the photographs apart if you tried.

As long as the body matches your needs (e.g., you don't buy a manual focus body when you require autofocus), it's not really going to matter which you use. Money in film photography is usually better spent on good film, processing, and scanning, rather than expensive bodies.

With all of this talk of different Nikons, it is important to remember that film cameras are just light-tight boxes for running film through.

They're quite a bit more than that to me. Some of them look so wonderful, they're works of art. Some are so ugly, it hardly matters to me what functions they have. I'm not a rational actor from an economics textbook, I'm a human, with human foibles, and I said upthread, I have a light-tight box with very good lenses that I never use because it gives me little joy.

it's not really going to matter which you use

Assuming he uses it, of course.

Money in film photography is usually better spent on good film, processing, and scanning, rather than expensive bodies.

I don't think expensive bodies really came into the discussion - the OP wants one for £40. I do think you're reductively assuming people want the same thing from photography as you, though. Not everybody sees the camera as a box, and a technically excellent image as the goal.

(personally, and I stress this is a personal opinion, I've think I've done better by buying cheap film and cheap processing and home scanning, and spending the difference on books about art, photography, philosophy, and criticism. One day, maybe I'll learn enough to justify the £20-a-roll buy-process-and-scan)

To go in at the opposite end of the scale & certainly no aperture priority mode but my first foray back into film involved a Zorki 4 and a Fed 4 - can be picked up for next to nothing but I love mine - I found using the more modern film cameras felt just like slightly skinnier but weightier DSLRs - kind of put me off. Everything is manual (& slightly radioactive if you get the Fed - gotta love that russian engineering :p) Before spending out loads on one of the Nikons I'd get a Zorki, give it a go, see if film is for you & if not, you can always just sell it on.

Most of the fun I found is in the developing & all of its wonderful complications (cheers @stevelmx5 for introducing me to it all (y))

Not a Nikon but, I have a Chinon camera that I am finishing off a roll of HP5 in but once it's finished, you can have the camera if you would like it (just pay postage/collect) a kind person on here once gave it to me for free so as I could try film - only fair I pass it on if you would like it (y) Has aperture priority & all the usual electric gubbins (y)

They're quite a bit more than that to me. Some of them look so wonderful, they're works of art. Some are so ugly, it hardly matters to me what functions they have. I'm not a rational actor from an economics textbook, I'm a human, with human foibles, and I said upthread, I have a light-tight box with very good lenses that I never use because it gives me little joy.

That's fine to enjoy the looks or have other reasons for buying a camera, but I think it's important to explicitly state and understand that extra money spent on nicer Nikon film bodies will not result in better images. This may not be immediately clear to those migrating from digital because more expensive digital bodies can sometimes offer better sensor technology, increased dynamic range, etc. that may actually improve image quality.

I do think you're reductively assuming people want the same thing from photography as you, though. Not everybody sees the camera as a box, and a technically excellent image as the goal.

I have neither assumed anything about anyone nor said anything factually incorrect: at its core, the camera is a device for recording light.

And, when put side by side, the Nikon FM, for instance, will not record light any better than a Nikon F801, although you will pay 8x more for the privilege to do so with it. You'll pay even more on top of that for cameras such as an FE2 or F100, even though photographs from all these cameras will be 100% indistinguishable.

Knowing this, is the extra expense worth it? I think that's an important point to raise and a good question to ask when considering cameras such as these and helps round out this discussion, which has been predominantly gear based so far. Only each individual purchaser can answer this question for themselves and decide what they want from their camera.

(personally, and I stress this is a personal opinion, I've think I've done better by buying cheap film and cheap processing and home scanning, and spending the difference on books about art, photography, philosophy, and criticism. One day, maybe I'll learn enough to justify the £20-a-roll buy-process-and-scan)

My point was that other things in film photography, such as (but not limited to) good film and scanning can actually improve the resulting image, while a better body cannot. It would be up to each individual to decide whether the gains from better film or lab scans are worth the additional costs (I'm certainly not paying £20 per roll for the record though), just like it's up to them to decide if they have reasons to purchase a more expensive body.

I would say that books on art, philosophy, and photography constitute other worthwhile purchases that would benefit one's photography more than the purchase of a nicer camera body.

Last edited:
Don't forget folks the wonderful world of playing with lenses (also with digi if you must)...it's my new found hobby for the last 4-5 years and play with all makes even one Prinz lens :eek: actually it turned out VG for results.

I have neither assumed anything about anyone nor said anything factually incorrect: at its core, the camera is a device for recording light.

You keep begging the question. A camera is "just" (your word) a light-tight box for running film through to you, but it isn't to everyone. The OP has made it clear upthread that he isn't interested in ugly plastic bodied cameras, so it obviously isn't just a light-tight box to him. You're right to make the point about the lack of correlation between expense and image quality (although metering could make a difference in difficult light), but really, not everyone has the same tastes or goals as you.

I'd really like a Leica. I know it won't make my photos any better - I'm not nearly as good enough to make the most of what I own now - but I'm pretty sure that having a beautiful, well made piece of engineering in my hands would give me more joy than holding an F601, in the same way that other people like expensive watches that don't tell the time any better than a Casio, or expensive cars they can't drive at their limits, or Louboutin shoes that actually do a worse job of keeping their feet comfortable than a pair of Clarks.

My point was that other things in film photography, such as (but not limited to) good film and scanning can actually improve the resulting image, while a better body cannot. It would be up to each individual to decide whether the gains from better film or lab scans are worth the additional costs (I'm certainly not paying £20 per roll for the record though), just like it's up to them to decide if they have reasons to purchase a more expensive body.

Better film and scanning will improve an image superficially, yes. It won't make the composition better, or make the photo tell a story any better, or necessarily produce any more emotion from the viewer other than "that's pretty", any more than a new body would. Better film and better scanning are a great thing to spend money on if you're after a superficial improvement in image quality. A more expensive body you'd rather use is a good thing to spend money on if you're looking for a superficial improvement in the process of taking a photo. Each one depends on the person's tastes and goals. Neither is the only right option.

You keep begging the question. A camera is "just" (your word) a light-tight box for running film through to you, but it isn't to everyone. The OP has made it clear upthread that he isn't interested in ugly plastic bodied cameras, so it obviously isn't just a light-tight box to him. You're right to make the point about the lack of correlation between expense and image quality (although metering could make a difference in difficult light), but really, not everyone has the same tastes or goals as you.

If anything, I'm trying to strip personal opinion, subjective goals, and human emotions—my own included—away from this discussion for a moment. I never said not to buy a nicer camera, nor did I say to buy the cheap one. I'm also not trying to give purchasing or photography advice.

I'm just emphasising that any one of these Nikon bodies, at their most basic level, can essentially record visual images as well as any other Nikon body (putting aside the constraints of certain bodies in terms of max shutter speed or differences in metering capabilities). I can't really see how that can be argued.

Now, many of us make personal camera buying decisions on far more that that, myself included, but it doesn't change this fact.

Better film and scanning will improve an image superficially, yes. It won't make the composition better, or make the photo tell a story any better, or necessarily produce any more emotion from the viewer other than "that's pretty", any more than a new body would. Better film and better scanning are a great thing to spend money on if you're after a superficial improvement in image quality. A more expensive body you'd rather use is a good thing to spend money on if you're looking for a superficial improvement in the process of taking a photo. Each one depends on the person's tastes and goals. Neither is the only right option.

Now we're going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I don't agree that better scanning is necessarily superficial. Better quality scans may result in improved tonality or better colour rendition, for instance, which constitute very important aspects of art and photography that can do more than simply make the photograph 'prettier'. Would you say the darkroom printing process is also superficial? Personally, I think that scanning or printing can improve an image more than just 'superficially' and can even affect composition or viewer emotion (e.g., making changes in tonality or contrast may draw viewers' attention away to or from various elements of the image or can serve to emphasise particular parts of the image as desired).

Last edited:
I'm just emphasising that any one of these Nikon bodies, at their most basic level, can essentially record visual images as well as any other Nikon body (putting aside the constraints of certain bodies in terms of max shutter speed or differences in metering capabilities). I can't really see how that can be argued.

Now, many of us make personal camera buying decisions on far more that that, myself included, but it doesn't change this fact.

You said "it is important to remember that film cameras are just light-tight boxes for running film through". If you'd have said "if you choose to consider film cameras as light-tight boxes to run film through, then they're all much of a muchness" I'd have no disagreement.

Now we're going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I don't agree that better scanning is necessarily superficial. Better quality scans may result in improved tonality or better colour rendition, for instance, which constitute very important aspects of art and photography that can do more than simply make the photograph 'prettier'. Would you say the darkroom printing process is also superficial? Personally, I think that scanning or printing can improve an image more than just 'superficially' and can even affect composition or viewer emotion (e.g., making changes in tonality or contrast may draw viewers' attention away to or from various elements of the image or can serve to emphasise particular parts of the image as desired).

More expensive scans could make the image "better". They could make them look "worse", subjectively. Technical superiority isn't the be-all and end-all.

Darkroom printing is a creative act, and so is digital post-processing, but I don't believe that sending your negs off to someone else to scan is. Maybe it's worth the £10/£12 roll for many people to start with a cleaner scan, but I don't think you can justify "Money in film photography is usually better spent on good film, processing, and scanning, rather than expensive bodies."

I dunno. You bring this subject up quite a lot. If you just said "this is how I prefer to spend my money" it wouldn't be objectionable to me.

More expensive scans could make the image "better". They could make them look "worse", subjectively. Technical superiority isn't the be-all and end-all.

Darkroom printing is a creative act, and so is digital post-processing, but I don't believe that sending your negs off to someone else to scan is. Maybe it's worth the £10/£12 roll for many people to start with a cleaner scan, but I don't think you can justify "Money in film photography is usually better spent on good film, processing, and scanning, rather than expensive bodies."

I choose between home developing, darkroom printing, home scanning, lab scanning, etc. They're all creative choices and there's no one way to do it. I do often shout the praises of good lab services, but primarily because many treat home scanning as a foregone conclusion when you get into film photography (check to see the countless number of scanner threads there are on here), so I'm trying to balance things out. Heck, I've just spent the past week developing, scanning, and darkroom printing my own photographs from the past few weeks, so I myself do more than lab processing.

That said, I'm going to break away now to focus on some of my apparently less creative photographs now.

Last edited:
Back