Beginner First bodybuilding shoot

Name
Aaron
Edit My Images
No
Hi all I have a friend at work, that is wanting to compete.next year in some bodybuilding competitions and he's wanting some photos done of his poses, now he's asked me to do this for him and I've said yes I will which I'm happy to. However Im unsure of what sort of lighting to use as this shoot will be done in a gym I'm thinking of 2 wireless speedlights with Softboxs on. I'm looking for input on what would be a good setup and if anyone has done this kind of shoot before.

thank you all
Aaron

Thanks for that

The other thing I want to know is would speedlights be acceptable in a gym as I don't want to mess the shots up

Ask the gym.. ..

Good point lol I will go have a look from what I've read speedlights with Softboxs should be ok. As they want colour popped images mostly

Good point lol I will go have a look from what I've read speedlights with Softboxs should be ok. As they want colour popped images mostly
Seriously?

And you can't talk him out of it?

I've no idea if you've read all those linked threads, but the principals of lighting aren't rocket science, so have a think?

Q. What shows muscle definition (or any form really)? A. Hard(er) shadows.

Q. What are softboxes for? A. To reduce shadows (by softening).

Q. Would the softbox be the tool of choice for showing off muscles? A. No.

However, maybe if you have grids, you can possibly mask them down to strips, and you place them well, you might be able to get something worthwhile.

Like Phil says, you definitely want to use a hard light to bring out the definition.

It's something I wouldn't mind trying in the near future as well.

Thanks again for the comments I'm new to photographing people so I assumed that a softbox would have been the way to go but hardlight it will be then

Thanks again for the comments I'm new to photographing people so I assumed that a softbox would have been the way to go but hardlight it will be then
It's not just people, pick up the speedlighters handbook, it's a common newbie mistake to think 'need a light - softbox then'.

Don't just take my word for it, buy the book, study lighting, practice. There's no hard and fast rules, but there are a short list of principles that'll give a start point.

It's not just people, pick up the speedlighters handbook, it's a common newbie mistake to think 'need a light - softbox then'.

Don't just take my word for it, buy the book, study lighting, practice. There's no hard and fast rules, but there are a short list of principles that'll give a start point.

I was on a workshop this weekend with Adrea Belluso learning about the characteristics of light and the modifiers he uses. Softboxes were barely mentioned.

Ok I've been reading up about bouncing the flash and how effective this can be thinking of taking this route

Ok I've been reading up about bouncing the flash and how effective this can be thinking of taking this route
We're there any great examples of using bounced flash to show muscle definition?

It doesn't matter, clearly we're wasting our breath.

Again.. looking for the soft light.. ..

It's not quite the video I was looking for, but it shows the principal. Joel Grimes goes for a very hard-edged lighting look that exagerrates body contours. The gridded softboxes can sculpt the torso if positioned correctly. Bare-flash would be better than a softbox without a grid - but flag off any glare that's coming directly into the lens..

Still not the one I'm looking for, but it includes a clip from it at the start - enough to give you an idea..

(but like Phil, I think I'm now wasting my time)

Edit: found it..

Last edited:
Back