First camera help

Not trying to influence your decision; I’m bored telling newbies that the decision about their first camera is trivial. They always ignore the key advice and are forced into learning from their own mistakes.

The whole point in asking for advice is to learn from the experience of others, but people really only want their own decisions ratified.
><
I’ve probably posted this before, but best advice is in “Letter to George” here: https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/letter-to-george.html

Fallacy Number 3 after 'You need a top quality camera to take great photos' and 'You need lots of lenses to take great photos' must surely be 'You need to shoot in RAW to take great photos'. When starting out, I believe it's far better to learn the basics of how to get things looking good straight from the camera, without getting wrapped up in trying to turn sow's ears into silk purses in post processing.
This one deals with #1 and #2
There is not image qualit improvements worth 3650$ extra in the expensive setup.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZog77AYURY

https://www.theschoolofphotography.com/tutorials/3800-vs-150-is-it-worth-it

Last edited by a moderator:
After a fourth/fifth generation in 5 years my conclusion would have to be that the current model will most likely soon be outdated.

In the meantime I'll watch with interest and let other people pay for all that research and development. :whistle:
Neither my A6000 nor my X-T2 feels outdated IMHO

I wasn't ignoring the advise of experienced people but being pushed towards mirrorless was not something i was interested in. As far as the lenses do you only use one lens??? of a choice of a few???
My point was about your assertion that there’s a greater number of dslr lenses for sale; which is true but not relevant. For relevance there’s need to be a shortage of mirrorless lenses.

And for context; keep your breeches on, I never accused you of ignoring advice.

You are though prioritising the wrong things due to inexperience, just like a kid looking for a first car looking at Bluetooth connectivity and body coloured mirrors and ignoring steering wheel feedback or insurance costs.

This one deals with #1 and #2
There is not image qualit improvements worth 3650$ extra in the expensive setup.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZog77AYURY

https://www.theschoolofphotography.com/tutorials/3800-vs-150-is-it-worth-it
I speed watched that and it seemed pretty much as expected; the only thing that really struck me was the comment about shallow depth of field... all he seemed to mention (in the bits I watched) was the aperture difference between the two lenses? A full frame DSLR will give a shallower depth of field than a crop sensor, so just one stop of difference between those two lenses (at the equivalent focal length) will not equate to the difference seen in the images between those two cameras.

Other than that, in good, bright lighting conditions, the results were what I'd have expected. It would be interesting to see a comparison in more challenging lighting conditions though. However, it does prove the point that you don't need a top quality camera to take good looking photos... particularly if you play to the camera's strengths (and its weaknesses too).

Last edited:
My point was about your assertion that there’s a greater number of dslr lenses for sale; which is true but not relevant. For relevance there’s need to be a shortage of mirrorless lenses.

And for context; keep your breeches on, I never accused you of ignoring advice.

You are though prioritising the wrong things due to inexperience, just like a kid looking for a first car looking at Bluetooth connectivity and body coloured mirrors and ignoring steering wheel feedback or insurance costs.

Sorry my intention was not to come across as being arsy. Maybe some of my wants on that list may be unnecessary. But i did research and compare specs and the finer details of what was available in my budget. I intend to buy only used lenses and thats where the huge amount of lenses comes into play.
I had also been into a few camera shops and had a try and feel of what I was look for.
As far as the canon 77d is concerned it meets 99% of what i will ever need out of the camera. Yes its blown away by a lot of other more expensive cameras but i also couldn't really find any bad reviews either..

Last edited:
As far as the canon 77d is concerned it meets 99% of what i will ever need out of the camera. Yes its blown away by a lot of other more expensive cameras but i also couldn't really find any bad reviews either.
There’s nothing wrong with the 77d as a first camera, enjoy it and enjoy learning.

My point stands that it’s unimportant; and whether it meets 99% of what you’ll ever need is pure speculation. As someone who’s never taken photography seriously you have no idea what you might want from a camera in 1, 3 or 5 years time. But again, that’s not unique to you (it’s everyone).

That 77d will either be worn out or unused in 2 years time, none of us know which. You may still own it or it could have been upgraded several times. Not only don’t we know, it doesn’t much matter - you can only enjoy the now.

One thing to add to Phil's prophetic observations above... If you find you like the 77D, enjoy using it and 'bond' with it, then don't be tempted to trade it in for a few ££ in a couple of year's time... keep it! Put it somewhere safe and dry and retire it (using it gently from time to time to keep it working and the battery charged up), save up a bit longer or do an extra shift to get the money, but don't part with it!

A stupid suggestion? Perhaps not! If you take to the hobby then you never forget your first 'proper' camera, and quite a few people have regretted not keeping theirs, to the extent that many years later they've bought the same model again... sometimes for a lot more than they got for their original one! So give that some thought when (and if) you are tempted to upgrade. I've still got the 35mm Pentina SLR hand-me-down camera I got from my Dad, and the Canon A1 I upgraded to afterwards (an awesome camera in its day) and still use them both from time to time... and each time I do, I feel that little bit of magic! (y)

Last edited:
Back