First go at street photography

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought myself a little used Sony RX100 mk3 to try and get myself out and walking a bit at lunchtime.

I work in Leeds and travel to Sheffield once a week - so I have been looking into a bit of street photography.

There are many styles, but I am really drawn to the high contrast B&W photos of people like Mark Fearnleyand Alan Schaller.

Bright Light - Big City by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

That camera takes super, clear shots, and you have a great eye for a photo. I have a similar Panasonic LX100 and I think the Sony might be better. But I suspect its the photographer that deserves the credit.

That camera takes super, clear shots, and you have a great eye for a photo. I have a similar Panasonic LX100 and I think the Sony might be better. But I suspect its the photographer that deserves the credit.

Thanks - I am sure the LX100 is a great camera. I used a micro 4/3rd for a while and the images were superb. The only reason I went RX100 was that I already have another Sony and am used to the controls / menus.

Very nice candid street style shot, works for me really well.

George.

nice shot, if I was being critical I would say it looks posed/setup

Thanks - I suppose you could say that of almost all street photography. There is no real way to tell.

The shot was not setup - I wouldn’t dream of asking a deliveroo delivery person to retrace their steps as the food went cold ;)

The biggest issue I have with getting people in photographs is that they are all so well trained at avoiding walking in front of people with cameras :) The approach I took here was to stand with the camera prefocussed / setup but with the camera held at my side. Camera was set to shoot at its highest frame rate and with silent shutter. As the person walked past I turned and quickly composed the shot and rattled off as many shots as I could :)

The silent shutter avoids a reaction from the subject.

Dave.

Last edited:
I would be very happy with that shot.:)

Off to a great start there.
Loving the composition and timing; exposure-wise, it works for me too.

Back