Beginner First night pic

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I know you guys will not be impressed but so happy to get a picture at night and it was dark, so happy to see stars at last, still very early days but hey had to share and get some feedback etc etc.

Forgot to add the settings...
F3.5
ISO 400
lens 18-55 at 18MM

Attachments

• first night shot small.jpg
    first night shot small.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
oh yes lol, was so caught up in getting a pic forgot to check it was straight lol. Was taking in raw so guessing I could do some stuff in lightroom to help it along.

I know you guys will not be impressed but so happy to get a picture at night and it was dark, so happy to see stars at last, still very early days but hey had to share and get some feedback etc etc.

Forgot to add the settings...
F3.5
ISO 400
lens 18-55 at 18MM

Nice image! Here's my first night photography attempt, taken in Mauritius on a bit of a windy night, F2.0 ISO 200, lens is an Olympus M. Zuiko 12mm prime. I quite like the blurry trees/clouds but would love to work on getting the stars more defined. Going to head to the middle of nowhere in Scotland in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed for a clear night sky! IMG_1482861269.656993.jpg

Last edited:
I like it kewri, better area than me lol, Stevenage cannot compete.

I like it Hippo fit [emoji3] I like the purple in the sky! If it's taken in RAW mode then there is a whole host of things that you could do (apparently!) I've not been brave enough to try RAW yet lol so I can't help one bit on that score [emoji23]

I like it kewri, better area than me lol, Stevenage cannot compete.

This, sadly, is actually very true. Not Stevenage itself, but lots of the UK suffers from a LOT of light pollution - often invisible to the naked eye, but massively picked up on by long-exposures and/or high ISO.

Unless you're out in the wilds, you'll never get the black night skies that lets you really see the stars.
There's a few national parks which have designation for this though

Oooh - just found this too: http://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/int_dark_sky_places.html

This, sadly, is actually very true. Not Stevenage itself, but lots of the UK suffers from a LOT of light pollution - often invisible to the naked eye, but massively picked up on by long-exposures and/or high ISO.

Unless you're out in the wilds, you'll never get the black night skies that lets you really see the stars.
There's a few national parks which have designation for this though

Oooh - just found this too: http://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/int_dark_sky_places.html

Completely agree - I was in Robin Hood's Bay in North Yorkshire a couple of weeks ago, perfect clear night sky and seemed dark enough to get some good shots but my camera picked up so much light I couldn't even work out where it was coming from! That website is very useful though, thanks for posting. I'm heading over to the west coast of Scotland next weekend, near to Skye, and I've read this is a good place so I'm just hoping that there'll be no clouds!

Back