First photo for critique please

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
This photo was taken at Hundred House near Builth Wells on a cold morning.
I would really like your views and comments on in the photo. At this point I am still at the stage of using Auto on the camera as I try to gain more understanding.

8318027064_52c599b8df.jpg

I'd say look at the pontoon positioning, make it exactly central so the lines flow into corners of the shot.

I'm pretty new to this too, so don't take my word as gospel

Lee

Thanks for the feedback Lee. The jetty position in the photo is something Im really disappointed with myself. One of this silly beginner mistakes I think. Its something I definitely plan on remembering when I take shots. I have noticed silly mistakes in other shots as well that I put down to poor planning.

Also would have got lower to the pontoon, and I'm not really sure the lad adds much in this circumstance. Looks like it could be a good spot in better light.

Also would have got lower to the pontoon, and I'm not really sure the lad adds much in this circumstance. Looks like it could be a good spot in better light.

Thanks Gary. The location is truly beautiful. About 2 hours after that shot the lake was filled with kids who use the jetty to dive off (Is there is a difference between jetty and pontoon?)

Ive made a small edit to crop the edge and some of the sky as well as desaturate the image.
8317535437_7c4232b6a3.jpg

Last edited:
i think that the mono version is far better than the original, especially because of the jetty positioning being more central

(y)

The single thing spoiling this shot is the flat lighting. Another visit in good morning/evening light ( good luck with that one LOL ) will transform this picture. You are in the ballpark of a great shot, some minor tweaks will get you there with a sunrise/sunset being the best one.
As for your settings, pick Av mode, set your aperture to F8, ISO 100, evaluative metering. Switch on the grid on your LCD which divides the screen into 1/3d's, then whichever orientation you shoot in ( landscape/portrait ) put your focus point one third into the scene and take your shot. If your shooting handheld and the shot has some motion blur due to an unsteady hand, then increase your ISO which will increase your shutter speed thus eliminating the blur.......... It's not an exact science but a good starting point. Hope that helps,
Ian

The idea of using the leadinline of the jetty works well, however having a figure at the end of this shot I feel is a distraction.

In better light depending on the direction of the jetty i.e sunrise or sunset it could be a brilliant subject esp if the waters are still then you can have some really good opportunities to make this photo shine.

Keep on going!

Andy

Thank for the feedback. Unfortunately the jetty points kinda North West so there is little scope for a sunset at the far end of the lake.

The photo was originally taken for the visitor populated gallery for the website of the campsite who own the lake, we will be back there in 2013. The reason for the boy , my son, at the end of the jetty was that I wanted to give the image a look of solitude, which is what I called it on their site. This photo was taken relatively early in the day when the campsite and the lake were still calm and peaceful.

I've really enjoyed the feedback to this photo and taken in all the suggestions. I look forward to any more.

Back