First picture post - CC please

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I have been taking photo's for just over three months now and I'm really enjoying it. I have found that i'm mainly drawn to the coast due to living near it and sunrise being the best time for me to get out. Anyway I took this last week whilst trying out my new lens.

The tide was really high so my options were very limited but I wanted to see what I could get with this lens.

What do you think of the composition? The sky was quite clear except this one batch of cloud so I managed to use that and the colour of the rising sun. With the tide so high I was restricted to a small amount of visible rocks but thought that these seemed to have a nice flow to them in this shot.

High tide at Cresswell by John Haswell, on Flickr

I like it. Although maybe the rocks in the foreground could be a little lighter to show a bit more detail, just a tad tho and from a compositional viewpoint, the sky feels unbalanced with the different clouds/colors on the left/right. It kind of splits the photo in half with two different pink and orange tones.

Still like it tho.

I also very much like your Craster Bay shot.

I like it. Although maybe the rocks in the foreground could be a little lighter to show a bit more detail, just a tad tho and from a compositional viewpoint, the sky feels unbalanced with the different clouds/colors on the left/right. It kind of splits the photo in half with two different pink and orange tones.

Still like it tho.

Thanks for feedback. I will take a look in like room of maybe using a grad to darken the sky then lighten the whole thing to make the foreground lighter. I personally liked the split I though it added to the composition how the conflicting skies met in the middle at the centre rock. Glad you like the bay shot. This was my personal fav from that day but more people seem to like the bay shot. I guess it's personal taste really. For me the bay was an obvious shot but this was more ambitious as I had to make several elements work.

Still like it tho.

How is this?
I used the brush tool rather than the grad to get a more accurate effectCresswell at high tide by John Haswell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I would have never spotted the flat foreground without it.

Back