First proper tripod advice

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I am looking for a new, first "proper" tripod for use in landscapes and portraiture. It will be doing some hikes (2 days maximum) so less weight is nice, but I am happy to go up to 2.4Kg or so if needs be - I highly doubt my budget (~£70 for second hand) will stretch to anything much lighter than that. Id also like it to be a reasonable size when folded but again, I understand my budget may not accomodate for that so well.

I use Medium format film, 35mm film and a D700 with 300mm lens maximum. I am 6ft but would be happy with a tripod extending up to 160cm if it helps cut down on weight.

So far I have found good deals on an aluminium MeFoto Globetrotter, Giottos MTL9351B, Manfrotto 190ProxB and a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100. I believe the Giottos or the MeFoto sticks would be the ones to shoot for but I am unsure as to which would be best suited for my needs. All these options have ball heads.

Thank you for your help!

I hate to be blunt about this, but a 'proper' tripod and a budget of £70.00, are diametrically opposed!

My advise, would be to save up a bigger budget and buy a 'proper' tripod when you can afford it.

Reactions: Sky
I have to say I rather agree with Glynn on your budget.

But there are some design/style questions you should try to answer for yourself. Do you like lever locks or twist grip locks? Do you like 3 section or 4 section legs? What closed length do you need to work with your backpack?

Good luck with your search

I have a vanguard Alta Pro 263AT. It’s pretty stable and copes with large camera/ lens combo. I bought it because of its multi angle central column. New, it’s probably double your budget, but the AB model is cheaper. You may get a used one for £70-£80. They aren’t light though, nor small when collapsed. Mine weighs just over 2kg with a ball head.

I hate to be blunt about this, but a 'proper' tripod and a budget of £70.00, are diametrically opposed!

My advise, would be to save up a bigger budget and buy a 'proper' tripod when you can afford it.
Thank you for your repsponses everyone,
To focus on this, may I ask why you think these are not good enough tripods for what I need? This is purely hobby based but from what I can see on the forums these are all pretty well regarded tripods. Is there something you think they are missing? What do the 'proper' tripods have that these ones do not?

To focus on this, may I ask why you think these are not good enough tripods for what I need? This is purely hobby based but from what I can see on the forums these are all pretty well regarded tripods. Is there something you think they are missing? What do the 'proper' tripods have that these ones do not?

All of the tripods you have listed are going to (more than likely) be over your £70 budget though (??).

In a word.....STABILITY!

It depends upon your definition of 'hobby' and how serious a 'hobby' it may become. - I would definitely look at the second-hand market and buy the highest spec tripod that you can find for your budget. I assume that you will be looking for a 'head' unit, and the same advise would apply.

Whatever you choose, just enjoy your photography.

All of these ones I've found for approx £70 second hand on gumtree/ebay etc in good condition

You might want to double check that these include the head at that price. You'd be doing very well to get the Manfrotto or Mefoto for £70, with a head, tbh

You might want to double check that these include the head at that price. You'd be doing very well to get the Manfrotto or Mefoto for £70, with a head, tbh
Yep they are all with ball heads, I discarded the ones with 3 way tilts.
Do you think the mefoto will suit my needs and be sturdy enough? It's the one I think I am most keen interest

FWIW I have had a Manfrotto 190pro B with a RC2 ball head and a Junior 410 geared head or about 10 years with no problem.
The only difficulty I had was using it with a Canon 7D+100mm macro lens and the ball head .
Because the camera was attached to the head it was front heavy and I got "Droop" that was easily fixed with a cheap tripod ring for the lens so the point of balance was further back.
Just check that the combo you get will take the weight of your heaviest camera and lens.
It is quite backpackable and with clip lock legs quite stable, if you need a bit more stability in a wind there is a hook you can use to hang a weight on it, from memory i think I paid about £110-120 so £70 ish used sounds about right.

the other thing to consider when buying a tripod is that if you pay a bit more and get a good one then it will last you for donkeys years providing you don't knock it about too much. I bought my manfrotto 190 carbon about 10 years ago now and still have no desire to upgrade to something more. Only thing i would like to change is the head and that is mostly because i would like the convenience of an arca swiss style one since my latest lens has a foot with that style built in. A decent one is actually as much of an investment as you can make in photography gear since the gains are pretty marginal once you hit a certain price point

the other thing to consider when buying a tripod is that if you pay a bit more and get a good one then it will last you for donkeys years providing you don't knock it about too much. I bought my manfrotto 190 carbon about 10 years ago now and still have no desire to upgrade to something more. Only thing i would like to change is the head and that is mostly because i would like the convenience of an arca swiss style one since my latest lens has a foot with that style built in. A decent one is actually as much of an investment as you can make in photography gear since the gains are pretty marginal once you hit a certain price point
Yes I keep hearing this advice but the only carbon fibre tripod I can find on my side of £100 is a Giottos MTL8361B but I am unable to find much information on it at all. I know giottos is a respected brand so do you think it would be worth just taking a punt at that, over getting aluminium with a decent amount of information behind it?
I have not been able to find any carbon 190 or similar for anywhere near my budget

Yes I keep hearing this advice but the only carbon fibre tripod I can find on my side of £100 is a Giottos MTL8361B but I am unable to find much information on it at all. I know giottos is a respected brand so do you think it would be worth just taking a punt at that, over getting aluminium with a decent amount of information behind it?
I have not been able to find any carbon 190 or similar for anywhere near my budget
i would probably suggest save up a bit more and you should have more options available to you. I would also say have a look at sirui though since from what i have seen they are really excellent value for money. I have just had a quick look on "that" auction site and a quick search for a manfrotto 190 throws up a few options with different heads too.

Hi, Firstly for MODS if not allowed please remove.
I have a tripod up on Ebay can be seen at item No 133561640621 Benro FIF19CIBO Carbon Fibre it has 3 days to run at starting £100 + postage and comes with Benro ball head, if does not sell it will be advertised here.
Thanks, Russ.

Attachments

• 0A4A2072.JPG
    0A4A2072.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 0A4A2075.JPG
    0A4A2075.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 0A4A2076.JPG
    0A4A2076.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 16
i would probably suggest save up a bit more and you should have more options available to you. I would also say have a look at sirui though since from what i have seen they are really excellent value for money. I have just had a quick look on "that" auction site and a quick search for a manfrotto 190 throws up a few options with different heads too.
I bought a Sirui tripod a few years ago (and end of model type bargain, carbon fibre with K10 head and a detachable monopod leg) and was pleased with the finish and quality. It was about 3 x the OP's budget though, and was originally about 5 times that budget! So probably not an option for £70 even second hand, although you might get the monopod leg for that!

Other than looking on the used market, I'd recommend the OP kept his eye on the quality and stability (including the recommended weight limit rating), rather than looks and gadgets. I wouldn't want to risk putting a £1k or so camera on top of something that might collapse or fall over, that's total false economy and you're better off without it. Also, if you're not familiar with using a tripod, do watch some instructional videos on how to set a tripod up on uneven and sloping ground, as even the best tripods aren't immune for user error!

Last edited:
I bought a Sirui tripod a few years ago (and end of model type bargain, carbon fibre with K10 head and a detachable monopod leg) and was pleased with the finish and quality. It was about 3 x the OP's budget though, and was originally about 5 times that budget! So probably not an option for £70 even second hand, although you might get the monopod leg for that!

Other than looking on the used market, I'd recommend the OP kept his eye on the quality and stability (including the recommended weight limit rating), rather than looks and gadgets. I wouldn't want to risk putting a £1k or so camera on top of something that might collapse or fall over, that's total false economy and you're better off without it. Also, if you're not familiar with using a tripod, do watch some instructional videos on how to set a tripod up on uneven and sloping ground, as even the best tripods aren't immune for user error!
seconded on all of that, the sirui thought was more of an idea of an alternative that is less well known but still very good option since there is a few decent brands outside of the usual manfrotto, gitzo, benro bubble

Manfrotto 055 is sturdy, has good height, but is heavy.
I bought one on here recently for £60 so there are bargains to be had.........

Budget of low really but I did pick up a 3LT Travis for about £100 a while ago new.
I had a look at this and am pretty intrigued by its specs. I think I have come to a final 3 contender between the MeFoto globetrotter, 3LT Patti and the 3LT travis. I can get the MF/GT for ~80, the patti for 89 and the travis is a little jump to about 115... Not sure whether its absolutely worth it for the decrease in weight, why is this so hard :LOL:

Do you know why there is a price difference between the Patti and the Travis? I cant seem to figure it out from looking at the spec sheet apart from there is monopod on the Patti. If I do not need this then I guess it may be better for me to stick with the Patti?

Last edited:
I had a look at this and am pretty intrigued by its specs. I think I have come to a final 3 contender between the MeFoto globetrotter, 3LT Patti and the 3LT travis. I can get the MF/GT for ~80, the patti for 89 and the travis is a little jump to about 115... Not sure whether its absolutely worth it for the decrease in weight, why is this so hard :LOL:

Do you know why there is a price difference between the Patti and the Travis? I cant seem to figure it out from looking at the spec sheet apart from there is monopod on the Patti. If I do not need this then I guess it may be better for me to stick with the Patti?
Travis also supports a heavier weight....18kg v 10kg

Travis also supports a heavier weight....18kg v 10kg
Well spotted, my apologies. I think I disregarded that as the maximum weight gear I think i would be using is about 2kg (D700 + 200mm lens) and even if i were to upgrade my MF to a mamiya 645, it would be maximum 2110g too. From what ive read, half of max load is good and one third is great, so the patti should be more than enough for what I need!

I've got a 3LT Punks Corey, it stays in the back of the car in case I unexpectedly need a tripod out and about
On the couple of occasions i've used it seemed decent enough, folds up small, not overly heavy and head locks up ok.
Can't remember what I paid for it, wouldn't have been loads because it was always destined to be left in the car

No. I don't know why they're is a price difference. They are obviously two different specs though to warrant it.

Some have a double centre column, different number of leg sections, different max height, etc I think there is a monopod option on all/most of their tripods.

Okay cheers guys, I think its definitely between the MeFoto and the Patti. Both seem adequate and a good compromise between all the things im looking for and get pretty good reviews... Unsure of how Im supposed to decide so any advice would be appreciated! They seem quite similar I guess

Some years ago Thom Hogan wrote an article that said, more or less, anyone who has a serious need for a tripod will eventually end up with a Gitzo. If you buy a cheaper make you’ll end up on an expensive upgrade path often via several intermediate steps. Therefore the least expensive option he says, if you are going to use a tripod a lot, is just to buy a Gitzo first.
Of course, what does he know?

Some years ago Thom Hogan wrote an article that said, more or less, anyone who has a serious need for a tripod will eventually end up with a Gitzo. If you buy a cheaper make you’ll end up on an expensive upgrade path often via several intermediate steps. Therefore the least expensive option he says, if you are going to use a tripod a lot, is just to buy a Gitzo first.
Of course, what does he know?
I can totally appreciate that and understand the point being made, as well as it being driven into the forums and chat rooms a lot. As previously stated I am only entering this for a hobby (to get me outside of the house for exercise and something to do as the UK is going back into national lockdown). I would have hoped this illustrated this is not for any sort of job or career in photography. As a student hoping to enter 5/6 years of university education, and with no current source of income due to covid I would much prefer to stick to a budget right now. £100 is a lot even for some people regardless of the quality it will purchase. I do not even know if I will enjoy using one, or the enjoy the genres of photography associated with tripods seeing as though it is literally the first tripod I will ever own.
With the upmost respect it is pretty unhepful to recommend someone to go and buy a (probably minimum) £300-350 tripod, which is obviously 3x my initial budget and that is obviously nearing top of the range. I can not think of any logical reason as to why I would see that and think yeah im going to buy it. I understand that is necessary for some people but for a beginner it is totally surplus to requirements and is way out of my price range even for their basic models. Yes it is also not the only manufacturer, there are other 'mid-tier' brands such as leofoto and feisol, but again, they can still cost ~£250 which is still a big chunk of money for most people.
This is not a post directed just at you but venting frustration in general, so my apologies if it comes across that way. I got told to consider a 600 euro feisol at the bare minimum, which is even better than the tripod this guy had himself. I cant understand the thought process behind telling somebody to do that as the bare minimum.

Do you have genuine reason to tell me not to get a globetrotter for example? From the forums they are pretty well regarded as an affordable entry into travel tripods, which is exactly what im looking for. I did further research last night and some people seemed to think they were rather unstable for long exposures (~30s), which makes sense as it is a basic travel tripod made of aluminium... My thought process now is maybe get something equivalent to a 190xprob (but with higher max load rating and a few other bits) mainly suited for local use or single day hikes, and if i like it to purchase something that will do the other stuff i want well in terms of a travel pod, and have two that will do everything I want.
I have also found a few decent looking sirui models which seem to do everything I want but are at the top of my budget range. Will I want to upgrade them in the future? Maybe... Probably. But for now that is fine, if it does all I want to a reasonable degree right now then thats what I will choose.

As Glynn said, " Whatever you choose, just enjoy your photography. " I cant do that without a tripod, and I cant have a tripod if I cant afford it. There will always be something better and I am willing to bet most people have multiple tripods for different uses.

the sirui thought
Thanks guys, I think these look pretty decent for what they are, but I cant seem to find much info at all on them apart from the mid+ level options... Do you reckon its worth just skipping them since I cant find much online backing for the models avaliable to me? (Models T-1004, M-1004 and ET-2004). I keep finding one and liking it then reading a few comments that make want to pick something else and start running in circles!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I think these look pretty decent for what they are, but I cant seem to find much info at all on them apart from the mid+ level options... Do you reckon its worth just skipping them since I cant find much online backing for the models avaliable to me? (Models T-1004, M-1004 and ET-2004). I keep finding one and liking it then reading a few comments that make want to pick something else and start running in circles!

I'm not quite sure what's happening with Sirui, they don't seem to be particularly widely stocked these days, so maybe give that some thought? I've been happy enough with the one I got, but its an upper range carbon fibre job and I don't use a tripod very often, so I imagine it will last me out unless it suffers terminal accidental damage! I've not seen their cheaper models so can't comment on build quality or functionality, but seem to recall that their carbon fibre traveller type tripod had good reviews? Can't remember which one it was though, or the price. A Google search for reviews might identify it though.

Last edited:
With a limited budget I'd also look at the secondhand market. You can find older aluminium Gitzo legs for not much more than your budget, and a Manfrotto of similar vintage will be cheaper. They probably won't be the lightest models, but cheap lightweight tripods tend not to be very stiff or stable, which is the whole point of a tripod. If you visit a good camera shop with display models and compare the cheapest traveller style tripods with something like a Gitzo, you'll see where the money goes. It's not even subtle; a light touch sets the cheapies in motion and the difference in rigidity is quite obvious.

With a limited budget I'd also look at the secondhand market. You can find older aluminium Gitzo legs for not much more than your budget, and a Manfrotto of similar vintage will be cheaper. They probably won't be the lightest models, but cheap lightweight tripods tend not to be very stiff or stable, which is the whole point of a tripod. If you visit a good camera shop with display models and compare the cheapest traveller style tripods with something like a Gitzo, you'll see where the money goes. It's not even subtle; a light touch sets the cheapies in motion and the difference in rigidity is quite obvious.
Yep all the tripods I have mentioned are second hand, supplied with ball heads. I have not found many gitzo around my budget but I think you are the second person to have mentioned I *may* be able to find a pair of legs for around what im asking so I may wait and see for a few days if anything pops up

Back