First Year of University - My 365

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll keep it short and sweet and it won't always necessarily involve photographs!

Day 1 - 19/09/2009

A bit scared on the way here, unpacked all my stuff, met a few people from my halls, then had drinking games with one of my old mates and strangers in some of the other halls. Stumbled back around 1:30am. Good night, love uni already.

3940061365_e89a0cbf53.jpg

Day 2 - 20/09/2009

Wake up, meet some of the people in my kitchen. Good people, really cool. Me and a couple of lads chuck a football around in the local park. Cooked some lunch - spaghetti bologneise from a tin. Dinner and breakfast both weetabix :D
Start a bottle of sailor jerry and chat in the kitchen. Realise I've peaked too early. Go to an awesome bar, followed by a packed out club. My relationship is already getting in the way - my girlfriend is trying to draw me away from my new friends and I'm afraid of getting left out if I spend too much time with her, yet if I neglect her I'm ruining our relationship. Hrmm!

3940061353_04f1244146.jpg

Sounds cool. Glad you're enjoying it.

I hear what you're saying with the GF problem. Its important to be there when friendships are made, these are the poeple who you will probably want to live with when you move out of halls next year. You just need to tell her that its important that she is also present when her flat mates are bonding, and that neither of you should miss out on that.

you unpacked quick :D I got about halfway through and went to the pub last year :D

what about having gf and mates nights? might be a ******** idea *** :D

you unpacked quick :D I got about halfway through and went to the pub last year :D

what about having gf and mates nights? might be a ******** idea *** :D

I arrived at 11:30am on saturday and so didn't have anything to do as half the people were arriving saturday during the afternoon and the other half during sunday, so I unpacked and organised. now my room is moderately well kept :)

Girlfriend and mate's nights? How do you mean? As in one night I go out with her, other nights I go out with them? I dunno mate...

Day 3 - 21/09/2009

Start of my Uni life, officially.
Today we had basic enrolment. We went to a health and safety briefing that had an admittedly cheesy video, and also met a few people who are on my course, one of which was in my photography class in college - small world! Met a few people, the class seems pretty cool. I'm feeling fairly rough today, which probably wasn't helped by the bacon, beans and sausages lunch I had.
Tonight it's off to a foam party with my kitchen mates! Excellent!

3941484836_705cf6c947.jpg

Girlfriend and mate's nights? How do you mean? As in one night I go out with her, other nights I go out with them? I dunno mate...

Nope, it's where all the mates get together with all their girlfriends with a shed load of booze and an empty fruit bowl.;)

thats what I was thinking, but my advice is crap as I tend to get 'fired' from my role as boyfriend fairly frequently :D

Day 4 - 22/09/2009

Today I enrolled. I'm feeling the effects of last night, but had a wicked cheap night, only cost me £4 and we danced all night to some wicked tunes.
Everyone is worrying about student finance but thankfully I got it sorted nice and early so I should receive my loan within the next week or two. Dunno what's going on tonight, but no doubt it will be fantastic!

3943729183_c72cf9ccb5.jpg

Sounds like you have made a great start. I am so glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. I agree that your girlfriend needs to make friends with her housemates too so encourage her to do so and make sure you develop your new friendships. Soon more people will become couples and you will be able to have couples outings with them as well as having a laugh with your single friends.

I had to laugh at the Weetabix for dinner. Nothing wrong with that of course, just reminded me of student days.:)

this was a lush idea FP

Can't take all the credit for it! Wail gave me the idea :)

Have you actually done anything yet? :D

Uhhh, does drinking count? :D

I wouldnt have thought so. Things start to be done about 1 week before exams :LOL:

Haha I'm on a HND so I don't get the advantage of dossing in the first year of a degree ;)

freshers week the time you build up the hangover that keeps you down till crimbo :D

I can see that being an issue aha.

Sounds like you have made a great start. I am so glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. I agree that your girlfriend needs to make friends with her housemates too so encourage her to do so and make sure you develop your new friendships. Soon more people will become couples and you will be able to have couples outings with them as well as having a laugh with your single friends.

I had to laugh at the Weetabix for dinner. Nothing wrong with that of course, just reminded me of student days.:)

Bran Flakes for lunch. Also need something to counteract the alcohol, it's doing a runner with my stomach :LOL:

Have you actually done anything yet? :D

my brother went to uni last weekend and so far he's been drunk about 4 times, been to thorpe park, gone karting, and is generally bumming around in town.

somehow i wish i went to uni rather than go to work :(

Dunno what's going on tonight, but no doubt it will be fantastic!

That was the thought I had for all my times in uni (and i went to a few) ! It is a great feeling and a 9-5 working life is so dull in comparison as I LOVED the unpredictability of not knowing what I would be up to, only know that it will rock !

One would be sitting in a lecture at 3pm, home at 3:30pm, at 4pm there were a rumour that Fatboy Slim is playing a set at a pub nearby so within 15mins we were at said pub watching an impromptu gig. FANTASTIC.

Last edited:
Day 005 - 23/09/2009

We didn't go out last night. We all stayed in and watched some films and some south park as everyone was well and truly knackered. My girlfriend rang me at 11:30pm to argue with me, saying I was neglecting her. Somewhat true, but that is the nature of what I'm experiencing. I don't have time for much, as everything is so new and exciting. I went down to her floor to stay in her room. I had a terrible night sleep, my back is hurting, my neck is hurting, and I'm extremely tired from waking up to ask her to move over. Still, she's happy.
I'm not in that great of moods today. I'm not sure if it's the conundrum of the relationship I'm in, since I'm worried that breaking up further into our courses will cause irreparable damage. It might also be because my back and neck hurts. Never mind, eh? I'm off to uni in 45 minutes and hopefully once I'm done with that my flat mates will cheer me up.

3946508019_bb12e09457.jpg

LOL sleeping with your g'f on single beds in halls!
god damn I hated that and I wasn't 18 and young when I did it (post-grad before anyone starts shouting :))
too warm, too sweaty, too tired...sheesh!
how about having your g'f at uni with you and living one floor down!!! OUCH! nightmare!
Anyway, this is a photography course. it's hardly 9 o clock labs or statistical mechanics and thermodynamics on a morning from 9 after the weekly student night out! (whomever made my rota was a sod!:p )
It'll get mental for FP when the projects start rolling in

Weekday drinking, shared single beds and the walk of shame in the morning. Sounds quite similar to my time in the RAF.

Wonderful, lovely read.

Update: Just had brekky with a couple of girls in my flat and I feel a lot happier :)

:LOL:

Sorry, but i am going to come out and say it. TALK TO YOUR GF about your concerns...you clearly know what you are doing, yet you are doing it. I mean, if she sees this thread you are toast. :shake:

Sorry, but i am going to come out and say it. TALK TO YOUR GF about your concerns...you clearly know what you are doing, yet you are doing it. I mean, if she sees this thread you are toast. :shake:

maybe thats the plan, I mean emailing a link is quicker and puts you further away in event of violence than a face to face :D

I wouldn't wory about the threat of violence if they're on the same campus, I'd be more worried about the rumours she could spread about Sean amongst the female fraternity that would ensure he was celibate for the rest of his course!

I don't get what you mean?

And I would never cheat on her. I'm not that sort of guy. Plus the girls in my kitchen are really nice, and that's as far as that goes :p

He means you know you are neglecting her and not spending enough time with her.. but you would rather tell a forum than actually talk it over with your girlfriend. If the relationship means anything to either of you, you should be able to talk about that sort of stuff. Just how I see it.

Good thread though, shows what I'm missing out on :p

James

Listen to Mondo - he is actually a girl so knows how they think!

He means you know you are neglecting her and not spending enough time with her.. but you would rather tell a forum than actually talk it over with your girlfriend. If the relationship means anything to either of you, you should be able to talk about that sort of stuff. Just how I see it.

Good thread though, shows what I'm missing out on :p

James

Oh, okay, absolutely, yeah. It's a lot easier to tell a bunch of faceless strangers than speak in person :p

I just don't want this to destroy our experience of uni. It's not worth it.

Day 6 - 24/09/2009

"Today Matthew, I'm going to be... Bloody Tired!"

I arrived in from an excellent night out at around 2:30am. As I came into my corridor and opened my door, a big fat girl and a bit fat gay boy barged their way into my bedroom, and proceeded to get into my bed and refuse to move. They poured sugar and cider on my bed, which at the time I didn't mind because I was completely hammered. Not that I could have really done anything anyway. I wouldn't hit a gay guy and I certainly wouldn't hit a girl! At around 3:15am my phone rang. Ooh, right on cue.

My girlfriend was crying down the phone at me, asking me to come down and see her. I managed to eventually kick tweedledum and tweedledee out of my room and went down to her room. Turns out she's burned her fingers on the electric hob. Bless her.
They're first degree burns (I know, I have a scar that spans the length of my inner thigh from a burn), and she's been told what to do by drunken medical students - keep it under clean, cold running water. After around 15 minutes (bearing in mind I'm rat-arsed) I make sure she takes it out of the water and I go to make a make-shift dressing with a brand new wet j-cloth, but she is completely hysterical and insists we go to A&E. *sigh*

We get a taxi and arrive at 4am into hospital. The taxi was only £8.50 despite being a good 20 minute drive at 4am! Not bad!
2 and a half hours later, and we've waited for a resident for 2 hours to tell her they'll heal fine and just make sure they're cleaned. A nurse then dresses it with a gauss and gives her some ibuprofen and paracetamol. I didn't think that telling her "I told you so" was entirely appropriate but it was very frustrating to see.

I got in just as the sun came up, slept for 3 and a half hours, and then went into uni for an interview with my course tutor.

We're all staying in tonight as one of my kitchen mates has a fitness test tomorrow and they're going to really, really push him hard, plus I have a field trip tomorrow so I'm kind of glad I'll be getting a reasonable amount of sleep tonight.

Today is going to be a long day, I'm so very, very tired.

Big up 3rd floor green kitchen.

3950441204_b2b54323cc.jpg

Last edited:
You did well to take her to A&E. Most females, at least those I know, like that kind of attention; even though deep inside they know it wasn't needed.

Now about those two fat bums; who exactly were they and what on God's Earth did you do with the mattress?

You did well to take her to A&E. Most females, at least those I know, like that kind of attention; even though deep inside they know it wasn't needed.

Now about those two fat bums; who exactly were they and what on God's Earth did you do with the mattress?

Absolutely no idea... I haven't seen them since. I tipped it on its side and brushed all the sugar down the back of the bed. The strongbow had dried by the time I got home :D

Day 6 - 24/09/2009

"Today Matthew, I'm going to be... Bloody Tired!"

I arrived in from an excellent night out at around 2:30am. As I came into my corridor and opened my door, a big fat girl and a bit fat gay boy barged their way into my bedroom, and proceeded to get into my bed and refuse to move. They poured sugar and cider on my bed, which at the time I didn't mind because I was completely hammered. Not that I could have really done anything anyway. I wouldn't hit a gay guy and I certainly wouldn't hit a girl! At around 3:15am my phone rang. Ooh, right on cue

i wouldnt hit him or her either, i would however drag them out of my room kicking and screaming and out of the flat,
thats the reason i hated student halls, the amount of ***** that appear to manage to find their way into halls is untrue, also the fact that if someone wants a 'loud one' your duty bound to partake in it because your chances of getting a quiet night in are slim, which effects your ability to work. oh and the food stealing mentality 'whats mine is mine and whats yours is also mine'

couldnt stand it and managed to get out of the contract within 3 months, most of the people on my floor were nice enough, but the people who had to traipse through our floor to get to theres meant that a nights uninterupted sleep was impossible:bat:

you might like the girls in your flat now but wait until they all 'sync up' and your life is going to be a living hell :LOL:

glad your enjoying uni and hope you can sort out the girlfriend issues, i guess its probably harder when they are at the same uni compared with when they are at another one.

Last edited:
Back