Fit For Purpose question

Hi mate,I find this whole episode quite unbelievable and very poor from Canon.......:thumbsdown:

Kipax, didnt i say to you one of the reasons i switched to Nikon was the disgrtaceful customer service one gets from Canon, your latest experience has just confirmed im glad i jumped.

You should just drop it off at Calumet in Manchester and sod what anyone else tells you, simple fact is its knackered so needs fixing and it aint gonna get fixed while Frankie Jim is wiping his backside on the emails you sent him

Canon seriously disgust me.

Its upsetting me :( I know at some point I will ahve a brand new mkIII and eventually the world will be OK .. but meanwhile its so depressing waiitng and knowing my pics should be better...

Gary. I have give up the ghost on this one.. I want a replacement camera not this fixing... my fingers are crossed that a replacement isnt as big a bag of doo dah as this one is :(

Its upsetting me :( I know at some point I will ahve a brand new mkIII and eventually the world will be OK .. but meanwhile its so depressing waiitng and knowing my pics should be better...

Do you seriously want one, would you have any confidence in it.

i wouldnt have any confidence in it at all.. but others have working models so i would hope second time lucky and confidence grow with use..

I really cant afford the alternative..

Your not going to believe this.. i swear to god this is the truth.

the shop just phoned me up and said they spoke to the canon rep and he says canon need to see the camera before they can do anything AND that they have no record of me being a CPS member.....

I gave him my cps number.. told him i even logged into the cps area to send a message by form.. i ahve the black card with my number on... every time i send the canon in i give my cps number...

so he has gone back to the rep with proof i am a member..

I swear I am not making this up :(

Nikon is calling you :)

I know you say you cannot afford it, but from the sound of it this is going to lose you money, so can you afford not to switch to Nikon :shrug:

Having now got a number for the CPS I just called them.. expressed my dismay at not being replied to and the nice lady said she will look into it... told her the story so far including the bit about me not being a CPS member.. she said she is now going to phone canon.. tell them I am a member and find out excatly whats going on then phone me back

So shop and CPS going to phone me back...

At the end of the day I ahve people on the other end of the phone agreeing with me that i should ahve a replacement.. but 6 days later still sat here with a dead MKIII :(

PS in all my calls no matter how I am feeling at this end.. I am being ultra polite..

Well the CPS just phoned me.. they say they have responded to my emails (my spam doesnt get deleted its in a folder.. there nothing anywhere) The CPS have said all they can do is advise me to phone the canon service center because they say theres a new fix out that should sort all the problems... I told her politely that I did that on Monday morning and they said they will fix it ... I dont want it fixing so they say go back to shop.. She said my membership is in order so canon and the shop should sort it out..

I agreed with her but nothing happened in 6 days and people say contact CPS for help.. yet all she can do is tell me to ring canon service

Complete and utter waste of time :(

More than i would be :)

At this point i would be 'rejecting' the camera and sending it back no matter what. :rules:

I darnt send it back without knowing someone is expecting it and soemhting will happen..

bitterly dissapointed with the CPS though :(

Why dont you also tell them that you are shareing the story as it is unfolding with your friends on this website and the fact that it is not a good advert for canon !!

Like i said Kipax, the disgusting way Canon Service treats people made my mind up about jumping ship, and where the hell is Frankie Jim in all of this, your "Personal Conon Representitive"

Absotlutly no bleeding where thats where.

I sent 14 emails to Canon support regarding my lens problem and got 2 replies, both were automated replies asking me to take part in an online survey about my experiences with Canon Support, talk about kicking a man when hes down.

Well i got a call around half an hr ago from a guy who says he runs the canon CPS ..(notice i am not using names or even shop name) the jist was that he had emailed (while we spoke) canon to say it should be replaced.. he said it would be a B stock camera ie already used but latest firmware and updates..

he gave me a number and name to call.. this was to arrange delivery of mine to them and a camera to me

i called.. they tell me they dont replace camera with 4 different faults.. only if its been back with same fault and unresolved.. he actually told me its electical and thats why we have warranties... i swear thats what he said.

he said if i send in they will look at it to fix.. i said not an option.. he then said he would talk to the people concerened and someone would get back to me..

so here we are.. nearing the end of day 6 and just like monday.. i am sat with my dead mkIII waiting for a telephone call and still no real idea what will happen

I am speaking to a lot of nice people on the phone who are all being nice to me... but I am no better off than when it happened.

i think the guy who phoned me from cps is genuine and i ahve emailed him what canon said... i am hoping he will sort it...

to be continued....... i hope :(

gary you ahve pm :)

Back to the dealer brandishing the Sale of Goods Act. Several faults show the cam wasn't of merchantable quality from the outset, which is all you need to show. Recent treatment from CPS further undermine your confidence in the brand and level of service expected. Choice of refund or replacement (with a new cam) is down to you.

nice idea photon but a waste of journey as they will refuse and say they need the OK from canon first.. doesnt matter how much i stamp my feet and demand... your right of course thats what should happen :(

Put it in writing (template letters are available) giving them 14 days to rectify the situation, or else you reserve the option to take a Small Claims Action against them.

How old is this camera and what do you think the shutter count is?

edit,I see it's 8 months.

The SoG legislation actually allows you to lodge a claim well after any warranty period has passed. Goods must last for what could be considered "reasonable life expectancy", so even after 2 or 3 years you would still technically have a claim,

it can actually go upp to six years

fully read through the posts now, was looking at purchasing and up grading camera.

i am now very relucatant and considering ditching to the dark side.

the availabilty of nikon appears to be far better than canon.

poor poor show from canon not good for a company when we are in such a state as we are with money and banks etc.

in fact disgusting and i feel the only way to go is trading standards and small claim court.

the liability is with retailer and not manufacturer and having the forms of eveidence that you have for repairs couldnt see a court in the land not ruling in your favour.

also loss of bussiness from camera issues.

sorry canon not happy to move up rather move side ways

Tony,

There's a bit of perverse irony that this months CPS newsletter has a "Masterclass in shooting football"....the guy uses two 1DMkIII's and a 5D (he doesn't say that he carries all three on the off chance that one might work).

What you're going through now seems to be endemic with the way companies treat consumers. Whereas bad experiences were the noteworthy ones, we've reached a level generally where it's the good experiences that stand out.

Hope you quickly get the resolution you need...although it'd be already too late if it was me.

Bob

Well the guy from canon who was the least helpful earlier today has just phoned me to say it is all in hand and I will get a B class replacement ..I presume this means a body thats been sent back by someone else)

He said someone from services will phone me (sigh) and confirm whats going to happen.. A letter will be sent to me to sign saying I am happy to swap.. I send this with the camera (they are paying postage this time) to them.. they then send the replacement to me..

I suppose if I get the call before weekend ie tommorow) then it could all be resolved middle to end of next week... I end up with a used camera that has been fixed.. will ahve latest firmware and latest fixes done and be as good as new (there description)

So I think we are nearly there... even if I am now sat here waiting for another phone call :)

and thanks for the encouragment and offers of help everyone... TP members have been far more supportive than the shop, CPS and canon all rolled into one :)

Tony,in real terms,what would it cost to move to Nikon?

That is, to sell your existing used Canon stuff and replace with used Nikon stuff.

Bloody shambolic performance by Canon......:thumbsdown:

A small point,

if you were not a member here none of us would know about this!

fracster.. dunno.. but gary coyle has just done exactly that. with impressive results. problem is the credit crunch.. prices are way out there now... Also.. when it is working I am blown away wiht the results 80% of the time... just an issue with skintones in sunny sunny conditions...

Canon 1DMKII ..old and knackered but works!
Canon 1DMKIII ... ahem!
Canon 300 2.8L is ... few months old and absoloutly stunning
Canon 70-200L non IS
Canon 24-70L
Canon 50mm f1.8 (Nifty Fifty)
Canon 1.4 mkII TC nearly new
Canon 420ex Flash
Canon 550ex Flash, Quantum+1 power pack

Whats the equivelant to that lot in Nikon?

Canon 1DMKII ..old and knackered but works!,,,,D3 at £2729
Canon 1DMKIII ... ahem!,,,,,D3 at £2729
Canon 300 2.8L is ... few months old and absoloutly stunning ,,,,£3699
Canon 70-200L non IS,,,,,£1450
Canon 24-70L,,,,£1184
Canon 50mm f1.8 (Nifty Fifty) ,,,,£88
Canon 1.4 mkII TC nearly new,,,,£210
Canon 420ex Flash,,,,£196
Canon 550ex Flash, Quantum+1 power pack,,,,£308

Whats the equivelant to that lot in Nikon?
Seems to be around £12,500 give or take a bit

Bob

Those are new prices you have quoted Bob,what would the Canon gear realise if sold?

A letter will be sent to me to sign saying I am happy to swap

I wonder if there'll be additional clauses? Bear in mind we think you're entitled to a new cam or refund from the dealer. I think you need proper consumer advice before accepting.

when the service guy phones up I will ask to make sure that its the latest and it has to be low actuations.. even if the one I am sending him has been used and used and used :)

whose to say the "used" replacement wont have 200,000 actuations on it.

Exactly my thoughts, I would not accept a used, with no History replacement.

I'd go all out for a full refund/Brand new Camera.

Your Camera is not fit for purpose full stop.

i would not accept a B grade replacement, the shop should be refunding you your money, they shouldnt need to be in contact with canon, your contract of sale is not with Canon it is with the shop you bought it from. Go see CAB and see what they say, they even do a thing where you can ring up i think.

Well no ones called me anyways :( what a shock.. no chance of anyhting happening weekend so its this aft or next chance is monday.. that will be nine days sat with a dead camera :(

Back