Flog it!

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Just watched a so called expert put a value on a Leica, a 11 I think with what looked like a 50mm Summicron lens, of £100-150 .... Blithering idiot :D I'll give £180 for it.;)

"So called experts" are useless fools with a title!:D

I had dealings with one today ( not photography related) and without a doubt he was a moron, a very well paid moron at that!:rolleyes:

It probably didn't have the charger and cable to connect it to a PC which would naturally reduce the value.

It sold for £190, the lens alone was worth that much.:confused:

It probably didn't have the charger and cable to connect it to a PC which would naturally reduce the value.

I'd hope the SD card was included, if not then £190 was a rip off :D

Ah, the word 'Expert'. As an old chap once told me, an 'ex' is a has-been and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure! ;)

Last edited:
I'm assuming this was sold at an auction.

I've no idea what the Leica would be worth but a buyer at an auction would want to be paying less than 50% of retail.

The Leica II the curators have on interactive display at the new V&A photography centre has been somewhat devalued by having a hole drilled through the base plate so they can attach a steel cable to the chassis to stop anyone nicking it. The baseplate and lens mount are also fixed in place for the same reason. Seems rather a sad end for this camera. The film advance knob, speed dial and shutter release seem to be operating smoothly, though the rangefinder isn't doing anything.

Last edited:
Just sitting in waiting for the delivery of a III G. body. Next decision, as a Leica novive (apart from a disastrous experience with a decrepit II very many years ago) will be which lens? I’ve got my eye on a near-mint Elmar f2.8, but wondering if a slightly more worn Summitar would be worth the slight extra. Budget is a consideration.

I've no idea what the Leica would be worth but a buyer at an auction would want to be paying less than 50% of retail.
Depending on the auction room; it's usually hammer price + ??% buyer's premium + VAT. That can make quite a difference to the amount an item appears to sell for and what the buyer has actually had to pay to buy it.

Just sitting in waiting for the delivery of a III G. body. Next decision, as a Leica novive (apart from a disastrous experience with a decrepit II very many years ago) will be which lens? I’ve got my eye on a near-mint Elmar f2.8, but wondering if a slightly more worn Summitar would be worth the slight extra. Budget is a consideration.
The Summitar has soft glass, so a slightly worn one might not be in great condition optically - for this lens it's worth waiting for a clean copy, and because it has more elements than the Elmar, the coated version is preferable. Can't really go wrong with a near-mint Elmar stopped down a bit. The Elmar also takes 39mm filters directly, while the Summitar has a unique conical thread that requires a SNHOO adapter for 39mm filters (you can buy modern copies on ebay, often sold with hoods). The Summitar has a rather distinctive swirly bokeh - check out the flickr groups for both lenses to see how they compare.

I have a friend in the auction business, and it drives him potty that all these reality shows are based on the idea of buying at retail and selling at auction, which is the opposite way you want to do it.

Last edited:
Back