1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sirch

sirch Official Forum Numpty 2015

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Santa brought me some new film processing gear for Christmas so today I developed my first negative in a few decades. Much to my surprise it actually came out OK but when I put the negs through the scanner they showed a lot of dust/fluff. I guess I should have given all the gear a good wash before I used it but I didn't. So can I wash the fluff off the negs? If so what do I use, water, rinse-aid, fairy liquid :) ?

2. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I would wash them in just water.

sirch likes this.
  3. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Correct! :agree:

The chemicals are fixed and they don't react with water.
    To protect the acetate, warm the water to ~20°C.

sirch likes this.
  4. sirch

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks guys, I figured water wouldn't do any harm, it's more will it actually get the get the dust off? I'll give it a go, they weren't award winning shots, more just snapping off a roll so I could play with the new toys :)

5. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Where did you hang the negatives to dry?

I've learnt a few things... the shower is usually a relatively dust-free room, leaving a bit of warm water running through the shower for a few minutes might also help damp down the dust. I now carry the film upstairs IN the tank rather than taking it out in the laundry. Close the window over (not completely, maybe) and the door. Drop of rinsing agent in the last wash helps... and I STILL get dust, sometimes blooming boulders it appears!

6. sirch

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    in the kitchen which is probably not the best place, the shower sounds like a good idea (y)

7. VirtualAdept

VirtualAdept

Name:
    Mads
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Surely the dishwasher on hot is the best method? :LOL:

I must admit, I hate having to go back and rewash negs because of fluff and whatnot, but its the penance I pay for having two fluffy cats I suppose... and no, the wife wont let me shave them

sirch likes this.
  8. -Oy-

-Oy-

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I too take the tank to the bathroom and hand the negs in the shower. (Why do we still call it the bathroom when there hasn't been a bath in it for 15 years?)

ChrisR and sirch like this.