Fluid head

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys I mainly shoot stills all most exclusively wildlife mostly hand held. But I do have a liittle induro hi hat tripod. I shoot with a 1DX mark ii and a 400DO ii.

what tripod head would you reccommend I do occssionally make video and there is the odd time where I crawl out to a hare with tripod.... I currently have a lensmaster gimbal head but do wonder about a fluid video head for the odd wildlife short vid and of course really low light .like my garden foxes which we shoot under contiinuous led lights not flash

many thanks in advance

stu

can I highly recommend a manfrotto MVH400AH head.I like it so much I bought a second one as well for each tripod so I don't have to keep swapping everything around. Cost around £84.
Helps with 2 base sliding plates to fit swapping from camcorder to camera is a breeze
one liitle trick I made was getting te balance right each and ever time so one does not have to keep readjusting everything a camera (subject to same lens) or c mcorder is fitted. what i did was use a bit of 3m cut down pad maybe needs 2 one on top of other and stuck it the the slide plate side. Once
balance established then use this trick and everytime the balance setup will be correct;

ttttt.jpg

bb.jpgi

spare plate

Sliding Quick Release Plate For Manfrotto 503HDV MH055M0-Q5 MVH400AH around £10 mark​

Last edited:
Baz thanks for this... sorry bit slow replying mate. I'm trying to raise funds for my best mate who had a fire at his house bad stuff really bad

Mate would the above be strong enough for the 1dxii and 400 lens........... the lens is preddy light but it's still a lump.....I felt I'd need something much more substantial?

thank you

I understand your concerns but maybe this will help weighing in at over5.5lb with the lens extended and in the tilt position. Nikon D810 and nikon 80-400mm lens

being in the "tilt" position is the best way I know to show it doesn't creep

tiltxxx.jpg

it is not a question of weight but more of balance which is why I use that sticky trick. get the balance wrong and anything will fall no matter which head you use. there are longer 3rd party plates if the one supplied isn't long enough to get the balance correct

hope this helps
you best mate had insurance no doubt and gets things sorted hopefully

Last edited:
I use Manfrotto 128 RC mini fluid heads on all my tripods. They call them mini but they are quite big, sturdy, and easily support my sliders with camera and mike loaded on top. Balancing is not that important as lets face it fluid heads are not meant to be static, although they can be set to stop sudden drop.
View: https://youtu.be/36cSMc1FZY0

Attachments

• untitled-2-11.jpg
    untitled-2-11.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1
  • untitled-13.jpg
    untitled-13.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I understand your concerns but maybe this will help weighing in at over5.5lb with the lens extended and in the tilt position. Nikon D810 and nikon 80-400mm lens

being in the "tilt" position is the best way I know to show it doesn't creep

View attachment 392291

it is not a question of weight but more of balance which is why I use that sticky trick. get the balance wrong and anything will fall no matter which head you use. there are longer 3rd party plates if the one supplied isn't long enough to get the balance correct

hope this helps
you best mate had insurance no doubt and gets things sorted hopefully
Gotcha cheers for explaining Bazza video fluid heads are completely new to me buddy ta so much for your patience. thank you

I hope so re insurance.........his wife (Sue)) has sadly passed due to the fire Baz.......... his 12 year old boy is in ITU brum childrens improving with tiiny steps but he has taken a beating. tis a miracle he is still here

So my mate is there with him 24/7 bar sleep

So things like insurance don't figure yet Baz they will take time to sort and are of no consequence anyway when one's son is where he is. a very bad place but in good hands

So a go fund me page has been set up to help Gav bridge the gap........money isn't going to bring Sue back Baz or cover Gav's grief but it will help him get through whilst he focuses on helping mend his son

Again bro thank you for your patience it's hard focusing on anything right now bar helping my mate through this best I can

take care

Stu

I use Manfrotto 128 RC mini fluid heads on all my tripods. They call them mini but they are quite big, sturdy, and easily support my sliders with camera and mike loaded on top. Balancing is not that important as lets face it fluid heads are not meant to be static, although they can be set to stop sudden drop.
View: https://youtu.be/36cSMc1FZY0
Neil my above post to Bazza says alot thanks for the help,..................... with time i'll dijest all this thank you so much for your time I'll watch the links when I can

thank you

stu

But a balanced camera on a gimbal is weightless?
I hear ya bud...........I couldn't get what I wanted from the gimbal Gav things.movements need to be so smooth for vid.........said as a no nuffin buddy

fink it's right tool for the job........ but as yet unsure :)

Back