Focus on focus

Lol. Manners arent your strong point are they.
Just been asked, need to provide a small write up and the full res image, which I've done tonight. It'll be in next weeks magazine. When I get that I'll be sure to post a copy for your condemnation.

But I'll give you a hint, it's on my Flickr which hasn't many images
Never mind the billy goat gruff disapreciation society - when you get it published I'm sure we'd all like to see (not because we disbelieve it on anything but because seeing a member get that sort of exposure is always nice - and distinctly preferable to a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent )

Last edited:
I'm not a troll, the technical term is 'internet bampot'. Get your facts right.

The fact is something very different I suspect but as this is a polite community I'll not say it, that and I'm not in a position it have any evidence to prove what I suspect

Lol. Manners arent your strong point are they.
Just been asked, need to provide a small write up and the full res image, which I've done tonight. It'll be in next weeks magazine. When I get that I'll be sure to post a copy for your condemnation.

But I'll give you a hint, it's on my Flickr which hasn't many images

So why not post the image here, let us see it, and then let us see their request to use it? Words will not fool me, partner, I require hard evidence. You can be sure if I say anything like that I will be prepared to prove it rather than expect people to take my word for it, although, granted, you are obviously a God of some sort.

He was the one that mentioned it and he mentioned it to substantiate a point In a debate. If he doesn't need to validate anything in an argument, why should anyone else?

Apart from the argument, even if we were not debating the issue of softness etc, I would still have a right to ask him to prove it because he is flaunting it in a public forum. The truth is I don't believe him. If he is happy for us not to believe him and to regard him as a fabricator then I am happy for him not to validate it.

So I'm a liar and your opinion is the only worthwhile one? Have you actually validated anything other than your opinions?

I've posted many images of mine on this forum. Have you?

So why not post the image here, let us see it, and then let us see their request to use it? Words will not fool me, partner, I require hard evidence. You can be sure if I say anything like that I will be prepared to prove it rather than expect people to take my word for it, although, granted, you are obviously a God of some sort.

Lol I'll post tha article when it's published next week. If you're still here.

The thing is, I only post 800x600 res images, so that's hardly a test of sharpness is it? But looking a it 100% or printed I can see its not sharp. It does tell an interesting story though.

Last edited:
Th
The fact is something very different I suspect but as this is a polite community I'll not say it, that and I'm not in a position it have any evidence to prove what I suspect

Thanks for clearing that up. For a minute there I thought you had a point.

So why not post the image here, let us see it, and then let us see their request to use it? Words will not fool me, partner, I require hard evidence.

No one gives a toss what you require

You can be sure if I say anything like that I will be prepared to prove it rather than expect people to take my word for it,.

really

so far you've claimed

to work in publishing - no proof and severely doubtful given your lack of knowledge on copyright legislation
to be an expert in copyright law - see above , and as yet no supporting links
to be a photographer - but you don't have any pictures anywhere , and you've deleted the only ones that were in your single crit thread

So you fail somewhat at proof and credibility - and the irony of you expecting anyone else to prove anything to you is staggering

It is like a few 12 year olds arguing about whose dad is the hardest, or mum for the guys in Newcastle.

Pmsl exactly that!

I was actually waiting for the end of playground bell to go off :D

It is like a few 12 year olds arguing about whose dad is the hardest, or mum for the guys in Newcastle.

except that pretty much everyone posting on this thread diagnosed troll several pages back , and are mostly only poking it with a sharp stick for their own amusement

Lol I'll post tha article when it's published next week. If you're still here.
Congrats BTW I'll look forward to seeing the completed article (y)

You lot are unbelievable so I'll post a picture for critique :D

trolls.gif

It looks a bit soft. Please delete it and never post another picture again.

I'm not a troll, the technical term is 'internet bampot'. Get your facts right.

Don't remember saying you were a troll I posted that for critique, so is it in focus :thinking:

ah but you see he's from the future - where Scotland has become independent and passed its own law on copyright - that's how he knows more than everyone else and only his opinion is worth listening to - that's how he knows that anyone who disagrees with him is wrong :LOL:

Carp.
I had no idea.
Shame on me :LOL:

Wait....have I really been dragged into Middle Earth?
Dayum.
I blame the fever.

Wait....have I really been dragged into Middle Earth?

nope there's no hobbits round here no sirreeee not making that joke at all :LOL:

I had some pictures on Flickr but I thought about it and decided against giving them my work for free.

Who.. Flickr? They don't own it.. you do... unless you didn't set your preferences correctly. If you mean peopel on the internet in general.. wel.. you need to wake up and smell the coffee, because there's no other effective way to market your images these days. You can languish and fail like all the other dinosaurs that refuse to accept the photographic industry has changed, or you can accept that putting your stuff out there is the only effective way to market yourself, and that the risks are essentially minor, and worth it.

Update: today I took several pictures and deleted around 95%.

You're THAT bad? Wow.

Exactly what my brother said when I refused to give him photos of his daughter taking her first steps.

You denied your own brother the image of his child taking her first steps because they didn't meet some obscure standard? You sir, are NOT a photographer. You clearly have no bloody idea what images are for, and why they are taken.

Shots of a toddler taking her first steps would ideally be in sharp focus; I doubt if anybody even here would disagree?

Ideally, yes, but if the only image there is in existence of the event is NOT in focus, then no, I bloody well disagree with you. They will still be as cherished, and still have the same power for him even if you decide they don't meet some standard that no one else gave a sh1it about.

I wasn't going for an arty stylistic snot in McDonald's, wasn't an option. So I deleted them. Why should I have poor quality blurry shots attributed to me?

Like anyone gives a toss? No one knows who the hell you are anyway... your brother just wanted his daughter's first steps recorded.

You get one chance with some things and if you fail you should face it like a man, even if you're a woman.

The child didn't choose to take her first steps in McDonalds... LOL

We live in this digital age where people think they can just "undo" everything. Well you can't. You get one shot. Unless of course you want to talk about a chameleon that was basically nailed to a log. Ok there you have all the shots you want. What's the point though, it isn't real. Reality is defined by one shot. Things happen once, deal with it. Embrace it. You can't put your foot in the same river twice, no, you can't even put it in the same river once. One shot. if you get more than one shot, it probably isn't worth the effort.

...and sometimes,.... that one shot may be blurred... and you have the only record of it... a bit like you know... Robert Capa on the beaches of Normandy. You didn't hear HIM bitching about "one shot... that's life.... be man enough to admit it"... Christ you sound like a monologue from a Sylvester Stalone movie... it's pathetic. You've probably never been in mortal danger in your life, so stop making out that photography is this life and death situation where only real men have some sort of "right stuff". If it's good enough for Capa.. who has the integrity to sacrifice his own "standards" to show the world a blurred image, then do you seriously think anyone is going to give you and your bizarre set of standards the time of day? You think anything you will take in your lifetime will have the import, gravity and world changing power that those BLURRED images taken in 1944 had? No... so stop being an arse.

Yes, it's important to attain correct focus in many situations, and I think most people agree with that, but you're taking this to the kind of extremes that border upon obsession. In my CONSIDERABLE experience, people obsessed with technical perfection at the cost of all else usually take very, very dull photographs.

All your macho posturing, drawing parallels between photography and hunting fool no one: You actually just sound like some over compensating closet gay man desperately trying to add some machismo to everything you do. You mention woodpeckers... so I bet you shoot wildlife... that coupled with the attempted analogue with hunting... yeah... I bet I'm pretty close. Well... I have had the pleasure of meeting Andy Rouse many times, and I can assure you even he is not beyond letting technical imperfections slip through with a bit of post process help if the shot is important. You gonna have a pop at Rouse too? Does HE not meet your standards either?

You know what? I reserve judgement on someone's ability as a photographer until I see their work. Many armchair photographers on here can talk the talk every bit as good as you can... it's walking the walk that matters... there... is that macho enough for you? I was even wearing a Stetson when I said it. I'll draw the line at the leather chaps... that's possibly more your speed.

Last edited:
Listen, I am unhappy with the way this discussion is heading. Moose and others, I kindly request that you try and not let your emotions get in the way of your arguments. Let's all reconsider the contours of the debate..

1) it is possible to screw up a photograph.

2) it isn't good enough to say screwed up photographs are the equal of good photographs.

3) when we mess up a shot, we should have the integrity to admit it.

4) when faced with a photograph that has gone wrong, we should tell people, clearly and directly.

5) pretending to people that their poor photographs are perfect is evilness.

6) poor photographers should -- in return for our advice and honesty -- commit to improving and learning.

7) hiding behind the notion that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is an excuse for laziness and poor standards.

8) photographs of animals held in captivity are generally crap.

9) having a black and white picture of yourself as your avatar does not mean you are sophisticated.

I think we all agree on the above. The discussion has been productive but let's move on. I want to discuss composition in my next thread. Agreed?

Swap your fever for my broken buts Ruth (y)
Damn! I didn't realise you slipped on your arse, I thought it was your elbow.
Are you now saying you don't know your arse from your elbow?

Ps too slow with the edit :p

Damn! I didn't realise you slipped on your arse, I thought it was your elbow.
Are you now saying you don't know your arse from your elbow?

Ps too slow with the edit :p

Pah you cheated and edited it :p
Besides you keep saying I don't my arse from my elbow :D

1) it is possible to screw up a photograph. - indeed , so long as you actually take them

2) it isn't good enough to say screwed up photographs are the equal of good photographs. - no one said that

3) when we mess up a shot, we should have the integrity to admit it. - that would require you to have some integrity in the first place and indeed to take pictures

4) when faced with a photograph that has gone wrong, we should tell people, clearly and directly. - and constructively , not abrasively, rudely and egostistically

5) pretending to people that their poor photographs are perfect is evilness. - no one is doing this

6) poor photographers should -- in return for our advice and honesty -- commit to improving and learning. - if they want, its a free country

7) hiding behind the notion that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is an excuse for laziness and poor standards. - nope

8) photographs of animals held in captivity are generally crap. - nope

9) having a black and white picture of yourself as your avatar does not mean you are sophisticated. - that's not me you prat , I'm not really hugh laurie

The discussion has been productive - no it f*****g hasn't

Last edited:
Many armchair photographers on here can talk the talk every bit as good as you can... it's walking the walk that matters... there... is that macho enough for you? I was even wearing a Stetson when I said it. I'll draw the line at the leather chaps... that's possibly more your speed.

Full Metal Jacket version was better, didn`t have a stetson on either Dave...............:)

Listen, I am unhappy with the way this discussion is heading.
But you are the one steering / manipulating it all the time.
Thats fairly obvious to all concerned.

8) photographs of animals held in captivity are generally crap.
Well that's me and a large section of TP members put in their place. (y)

I had some pictures on Flickr but I thought about it and decided against giving them my work for free.

Who.. Flickr? They don't own it.. you do... unless you didn't set your preferences correctly. If you mean peopel on the internet in general.. wel.. you need to wake up and smell the coffee, because there's no other effective way to market your images these days. You can languish and fail like all the other dinosaurs that refuse to accept the photographic industry has changed, or you can accept that putting your stuff out there is the only effective way to market yourself, and that the risks are essentially minor, and worth it.

You're THAT bad? Wow.

You denied your own brother the image of his child taking her first steps because they didn't meet some obscure standard? You sir, are NOT a photographer. You clearly have no bloody idea what images are for, and why they are taken.

Ideally, yes, but if the only image there is in existence of the event is NOT in focus, then no, I bloody well disagree with you. They will still be as cherished, and still have the same power for him even if you decide they don't meet some standard that no one else gave a sh1it about.

Like anyone gives a toss? No one knows who the hell you are anyway... your brother just wanted his daughter's first steps recorded.

The child didn't choose to take her first steps in McDonalds... LOL

...and sometimes,.... that one shot may be blurred... and you have the only record of it... a bit like you know... Robert Capa on the beaches of Normandy. You didn't hear HIM bitching about "one shot... that's life.... be man enough to admit it"... Christ you sound like a monologue from a Sylvester Stalone movie... it's pathetic. You've probably never been in mortal danger in your life, so stop making out that photography is this life and death situation where only real men have some sort of "right stuff". If it's good enough for Capa.. who has the integrity to sacrifice his own "standards" to show the world a blurred image, then do you seriously think anyone is going to give you and your bizarre set of standards the time of day? You think anything you will take in your lifetime will have the import, gravity and world changing power that those BLURRED images taken in 1945 had? No... so stop being an arse.

Yes, it's important to attain correct focus in many situations, and I think most people agree with that, but you're taking this to the kind of extremes that border upon obsession. In my CONSIDERABLE experience, people obsessed with technical perfection at the cost of all else usually take very, very dull photographs.

All your macho posturing, drawing parallels between photography and hunting fool no one: You actually just sound like some over compensating closet gay man desperately trying to add some machismo to everything you do. You mention woodpeckers... so I bet you shoot wildlife... that coupled with the attempted analogue with hunting... yeah... I bet I'm pretty close. Well... I have had the pleasure of meeting Andy Rouse many times, and I can assure you even he is not beyond letting technical imperfections slip through with a bit of post process help if the shot is important. You gonna have a pop at Rouse too? Does HE not meet your standards either?

You know what? I reserve judgement on someone's ability as a photographer until I see their work. Many armchair photographers on here can talk the talk every bit as good as you can... it's walking the walk that matters... there... is that macho enough for you? I was even wearing a Stetson when I said it. I'll draw the line at the leather chaps... that's possibly more your speed.

Now I can die happy, together with this thread with any luck..... ;)

Last edited:
Back