Focus on focus

9) having a black and white picture of yourself as your avatar does not mean you are sophisticated. - that's not me you prat , I'm not really hugh laurie
Besides Huge Laurie is funny :D

Last edited:
I think we all agree on the above. The discussion has been productive but let's move on. I want to discuss composition in my next thread. Agreed?

Someone with as much bluster as you needs to post some work up, because words are just that.. words... we're kind of visual people around here. You are as good as your work. Knowledge is useless unless you can actually apply it... then again... you delete 95% of your shots. Monkeys and type writers.

Listen, I am unhappy with the way this discussion is heading. Moose and others, I kindly request that you try and not let your emotions get in the way of your arguments. Let's all reconsider the contours of the debate..

1) it is possible to screw up a photograph.

2) it isn't good enough to say screwed up photographs are the equal of good photographs.

3) when we mess up a shot, we should have the integrity to admit it.

4) when faced with a photograph that has gone wrong, we should tell people, clearly and directly.

5) pretending to people that their poor photographs are perfect is evilness.

6) poor photographers should -- in return for our advice and honesty -- commit to improving and learning.

7) hiding behind the notion that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is an excuse for laziness and poor standards.

8) photographs of animals held in captivity are generally crap.

9) having a black and white picture of yourself as your avatar does not mean you are sophisticated.

I think we all agree on the above. The discussion has been productive but let's move on. I want to discuss composition in my next thread. Agreed?

1) yes it is possible..

2) that's a theory that only you have raised, I don't subscribe to that theory the majority on this forum given honest critique, could it be better yes I think it could but I think it's a lot better than you would have the world believe..

3) Some of the members in this community might not have the ability of currently recognise a bad photo, additionally many would rather have a poor photo to remember an event than none at all, though of course perfection is what should always be aimed for..

4) see point 2

5) seen no evidence of this being the case

6) somewhat egotistical don't you think?

7) no it isn't its people that are emotionally linked to the memory of the time when the photo was shot in a lot of cases...plus it fails to acknowledge that different people have different requirements from their photos, hell most people that take photos would not consider themselves photographers would be my guess, I'm talking wider world rather than this community..

8) rubbish..complete and utter rubbish

9) not sure what point your trying to make

Besides Huge Laurie is funny :D

oi - its alright for House he gets a script to work from - we have to make this crap up as we go along

Now I can die happy, together with this thread with any luck..... ;)
This is one of those TFI Friday, beer and popcorn threads, I'm sure there is plenty more mileage in it yet (y)

Last edited:
I had some pictures on Flickr but I thought about it and decided against giving them my work for free.

Who.. Flickr? They don't own it.. you do... unless you didn't set your preferences correctly. If you mean peopel on the internet in general.. wel.. you need to wake up and smell the coffee, because there's no other effective way to market your images these days. You can languish and fail like all the other dinosaurs that refuse to accept the photographic industry has changed, or you can accept that putting your stuff out there is the only effective way to market yourself, and that the risks are essentially minor, and worth it.

You're THAT bad? Wow.

You denied your own brother the image of his child taking her first steps because they didn't meet some obscure standard? You sir, are NOT a photographer. You clearly have no bloody idea what images are for, and why they are taken.

Ideally, yes, but if the only image there is in existence of the event is NOT in focus, then no, I bloody well disagree with you. They will still be as cherished, and still have the same power for him even if you decide they don't meet some standard that no one else gave a sh1it about.

Like anyone gives a toss? No one knows who the hell you are anyway... your brother just wanted his daughter's first steps recorded.

The child didn't choose to take her first steps in McDonalds... LOL

...and sometimes,.... that one shot may be blurred... and you have the only record of it... a bit like you know... Robert Capa on the beaches of Normandy. You didn't hear HIM bitching about "one shot... that's life.... be man enough to admit it"... Christ you sound like a monologue from a Sylvester Stalone movie... it's pathetic. You've probably never been in mortal danger in your life, so stop making out that photography is this life and death situation where only real men have some sort of "right stuff". If it's good enough for Capa.. who has the integrity to sacrifice his own "standards" to show the world a blurred image, then do you seriously think anyone is going to give you and your bizarre set of standards the time of day? You think anything you will take in your lifetime will have the import, gravity and world changing power that those BLURRED images taken in 1945 had? No... so stop being an arse.

Yes, it's important to attain correct focus in many situations, and I think most people agree with that, but you're taking this to the kind of extremes that border upon obsession. In my CONSIDERABLE experience, people obsessed with technical perfection at the cost of all else usually take very, very dull photographs.

All your macho posturing, drawing parallels between photography and hunting fool no one: You actually just sound like some over compensating closet gay man desperately trying to add some machismo to everything you do. You mention woodpeckers... so I bet you shoot wildlife... that coupled with the attempted analogue with hunting... yeah... I bet I'm pretty close. Well... I have had the pleasure of meeting Andy Rouse many times, and I can assure you even he is not beyond letting technical imperfections slip through with a bit of post process help if the shot is important. You gonna have a pop at Rouse too? Does HE not meet your standards either?

You know what? I reserve judgement on someone's ability as a photographer until I see their work. Many armchair photographers on here can talk the talk every bit as good as you can... it's walking the walk that matters... there... is that macho enough for you? I was even wearing a Stetson when I said it. I'll draw the line at the leather chaps... that's possibly more your speed.[/quote]

I think there are probably aspects of your comments that break laws but I am not the petty sort of person who will reduce a discussion to that sort of thing. I'd much rather focus on the substance of what you are trying to say. The overarching impression I get is that you agree with me but don't want to be seen agreeing with me.

Well, listen, we need people to stand up and be counted. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Poor photographs and sycophants are the problem. I am trying to find a solution. Abandon me and you abandon reason. Abandon reason and you have no reason to live, love, or take great photographs.

People have me all wrong. I'm the romantic one. Everything is upside down on here.

Learn how to use quotes n00b

. The overarching impression I get is that you agree with me but don't want to be seen agreeing with me.

if you got that from davids post you fail at English comprehension as well

.Well, listen, we need people to stand up and be counted. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Poor photographs and sycophants are the problem..

I actually agree that sychophancy is a problem - but we already have a solution - its called giving reasonable, useful, constructive crit . Spouting off and annoying people so they aren't willing to listen doesn't help anyone

Gortch, I would like to see a photograph that you think is great. Ideally it'll be one you took (you've talked a good fight so far, so I'd like to see what happens when you work your magic behind the camera), but no matter; just show us a photograph that meets your requirements.

That's "see", with my actual eyes, not "read about", and have to use the eyes in my mind.

Otherwise, I call "trumpet".

2) it isn't good enough to say screwed up photographs are the equal of good photographs.

But that's only your definition of screwed up photos. You've already proved you know nothing about contemptory art, nor any interest in finding out

gortch said:

Jumping to composition already? Are we ready for The goldern ratio yet, shouldn't we hear your pearls of wisdom on shutter speed first?

Last edited:
I think there are probably aspects of your comments that break laws but I am not the petty sort of person who will reduce a discussion to that sort of thing.

What laws do you feel I've broken?

The overarching impression I get is that you agree with me but don't want to be seen agreeing with me.

Your mind cannot comprehend how much I disagree with you.

Well, listen, we need people to stand up and be counted. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Poor photographs and sycophants are the problem. I am trying to find a solution. Abandon me and you abandon reason. Abandon reason and you have no reason to live, love, or take great photographs.

Stand up and be counted? LOL ..and the macho one liners keep flowing.... :)

Abandon you? Hell's bells he's getting all TV evangelist now as well.

People have me all wrong. I'm the romantic one. Everything is upside down on here.

Oh I'm pretty certain people have you pegged just right.

Incidentally... you never actually addressed any of the photographic points I raised in my first post in reply to you. Why was that?

Last edited:
I have a theory about our new little pet Gordy....can I keep him mum? Can I? Huh....huh?

I have a theory about our new little pet Gordy....can I keep him mum? Can I? Huh....huh?

Only if you promise to feed him regularly and clear up all this troll slime he's leaving everywhere... and don't call me mum ;)

Abandon me and you abandon reason. Abandon reason and you have no reason to live, love, or take great photographs.

Is anyone else thinking of the film 'southern comfort' "there comes a time when a man has to abandon principals and do what's right"

now if I only had a Molotov cocktail handy

We could take off and nuke the s***e from orbit :)

Arse - that joke worked a lot better without the swear filter

Ruth, I have a pair of handcuffs (don't ask) and a cage I can send to you...just PM your address. In addition, my sister has the address of the best Rabies department in the UK having been bitten by a cat on an island she thought was rife with the stuff but isn't (she got the wrong island....kind of focused on the wrong thing, IYSWIM!!!!!) ;)

Anyway, just let me know and I am sure one or two of the gamekeepers on here will chip in with tips for the correct housing of said creature!

Can't wait to see your photos of the dear little thing on Flickr, but only if they are NICE AND SHARP...otherwise, BIN 'EM!!!!!! :D:D

I reckon we just reply to him with classic movie dialogue... see how long it takes for him to get tired of it.

What laws do you feel I've broken?

In the dystopian future Scotland from which Gordy is posting its against the law to know more about any subject than he does, or to demonstrate this in public - I'm afraid the thought police will be kicking in your door at 3am

I reckon we just reply to him with classic movie dialogue... see how long it takes for him to get tired of it.

Of all the forums in all the world he had to walk into this one ...

In the dystopian future Scotland from which Gordy is posting its against the law to know more about any subject than he does, or to demonstrate this in public - I'm afraid the thought police will be kicking in your door at 3am

Tin foil hat FTW!

I know why you're here,. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're trying to get your shots in focus. I know because I was once looking for the same thing.

@Yv..............what is the best way to make chips then?

"Exterminate....Exterminate.....Exterminate"

Okay, I know this is an emotional moment for all of us. I know that. But let's not make snap judgments, please. This is clearly an important species we're dealing with and I don't think that you or I, or *anybody*, has the right to arbitrarily exterminate them

Okay, I know this is an emotional moment for all of us. I know that. But let's not make snap judgments, please. This is clearly an important species we're dealing with and I don't think that you or I, or *anybody*, has the right to arbitrarily exterminate them
That's it man, game over man, game over! What the f**k are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

Maybe we could build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?

It's a quote, but I am not altogether against it being a command! :p

That's it man, game over man, game over! What the f**k are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

Maybe we could build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?

Alright, we waste him......No offence. :LOL:

Back