Focus on focus

All you people are so scared of me. Most days I'd take that as a compliment. But it ain't me you gotta worry about now. :LOL:

Episode 2 has just started for anyone that's interested!

can't chris just merge it in here - I'm not sure we should let these things breed ;)

All you people are so scared of me. Most days I'd take that as a compliment. But it ain't me you gotta worry about now. :LOL:
Actually I don't think that was aimed at you Pete, but its not a bad idea though :D

can't chris just merge it in here - I'm not sure we should let these things breed ;)

I think that the further away those two threads are, the better TBH, that way they can't breed.

BTW would it be wrong of me to move this one to Out Of Focus?
:D

If we are doing song titles I'm liking jilted john

Pete that is pure CLASS!

Gordon, you have made quite an impact in your short time with us but I am a tad puzzled. Surely someone as brilliant as yourself would have a website where one can go and see some works of excellence and maybe learn a thing or two?

Andy

Pete that is pure CLASS!

Gordon, you have made quite an impact in your short time with us but I am a tad puzzled. Surely someone as brilliant as yourself would have a website where one can go and see some works of excellence and maybe learn a thing or two?

Andy

I was hoping I would be able to help people here, it is a photography forum after all. I was also hoping to learn a thing or two, I'm not as brilliant as you think and even if I was I'd still be looking to learn. No man is an island, even a brilliant one.

But nothing you or I or anyone says in here is required to be delivered with supporting evidence. That's important. Arguments should stand or fall on their own merits, regardless of who is making them and what that person has or has not achieved.

I was hoping I would be able to help people here, it is a photography forum after all. I was also hoping to learn a thing or two, I'm not as brilliant as you think and even if I was I'd still be looking to learn. No man is an island, even a brilliant one.

But nothing you or I or anyone says in here is required to be delivered with supporting evidence. That's important. Arguments should stand or fall on their own merits, regardless of who is making them and what that person has or has not achieved.

But this is where I think you are missing the point. Surely to come on here, or anywhere else for that matter, making fairly forthright comments and statements then the only way you can gain any merit is by being better than the folk you are at odds with? The only way anyone can honestly do that is by showing the level of their own work, otherwise how can you expect anyone to respect what you say? I will try and give you an example of what I mean.

Forum member "Sid" posts a photo he has taken and asks for advice. Forum member "Dave" gives a lengthy critique and is very critical. Forum member "Dianne" (got to be seen to be fair!) gives an equally harsh critique. The difference between these two members is that "Sid" has never published any of his own work whereas "Dianne" has giving others chance to see that work. Who do you think will be better received with regards to the offering of advice?

I think you are in for a fairly uncomfortable stay here if you carry on "offering your opinion" on others work if you are not prepared to be judged, on equal grounds. By this I don't mean "pm'ing" with the "offer" of looking at your work in private.

Just a thought.

Andy

But this is where I think you are missing the point. Surely to come on here, or anywhere else for that matter, making fairly forthright comments and statements then the only way you can gain any merit is by being better than the folk you are at odds with? The only way anyone can honestly do that is by showing the level of their own work, otherwise how can you expect anyone to respect what you say?

This has been brought up several times in both of Gordon's threads (and crops up from time to time elsewhere on the forum, often when the mob gets going). It is a ridiculous argument to make, as is often pointed out (sometimes by the very same people) in the newbie threads: "how to critique", "I don't feel confident enough to offer critique", etc.

The 'worthiness' of critique, or advice should be based on the validity of the advice itself, not on the ability of the person offering it to take a better photograph. As someone who works with photography often, a graphic designer is well placed to offer critique and advice to photographers. Just as a curator, art professor, or gallerist may be. It doesn't matter one bit if they are capable of even switching a camera on themselves, never mind of bettering the work.

Attempting to shoot someone down because you haven't seen examples of their photography is basically offering up a straw man.

This has been brought up several times in both of Gordon's threads (and crops up from time to time elsewhere on the forum, often when the mob gets going). It is a ridiculous argument to make, as is often pointed out (sometimes by the very same people) in the newbie threads: "how to critique", "I don't feel confident enough to offer critique", etc.

The 'worthiness' of critique, or advice should be based on the validity of the advice itself, not on the ability of the person offering it to take a better photograph. As someone who works with photography often, a graphic designer is well placed to offer critique and advice to photographers. Just as a curator, art professor, or gallerist may be. It doesn't matter one bit if they are capable of even switching a camera on themselves, never mind of bettering the work.

Attempting to shoot someone down because you haven't seen examples of their photography is basically offering up a straw man.

Correct. Sir Alex Ferguson was a pretty crap footballer but look how he was able to teach, instruct, crit manage and lead others.

I was also hoping to learn a thing or two, I'm not as brilliant as you think and even if I was I'd still be looking to learn.

1. No one thought you were brilliant, as you've never posted any work to establish where you are or not.

2. You were hoping to learn?

Really?

The debate is over. Everybody who disagrees with me is wrong.

I

Changed you tune a little? Is it getting harder to maintain the alias and remember what you said with two threads running?

So why not post the image here, let us see it, and then let us see their request to use it? Words will not fool me, partner, I require hard evidence. You can be sure if I say anything like that I will be prepared to prove it rather than expect people to take my word for it, although, granted, you are obviously a God of some sort.

However, you have proved nothing related to photography so far.

P.S. the image you demanded to see has already been posted on this site. Its a photography forum. Sometimes people post images ;)

Fully agreed.

Ruth, PLEASE keep him but only if you do it like Erwin S did his cat (but give the box a shake, there's a dear!)

Does anyone else feel that some people use this site as a sort of dating website? I shall refrain from naming names but certain people seem hell-bent on distracting me and demanding attention at times. I'm not just talking about women either, a couple of men have more or less thrown themselves at me too. The same names keep cropping up it seems. I can only assume that's their goal because they seem to care very little for the subject-matter. I wouldn't want us to ban flirting and I'm not suggesting we do, but it does sometimes get in the way of progress.

Indeed - but that is at odds with the rest of your post as the validity of the advice depends on the person giving it knowing what they are talking about - if for example someone asks for the best lighting set up to use for shooting I dunno say nude and glamour in a paddling pool - if I say " definitely the best set up for this is 2 speedlights with diffusers " - is that valid advice ? ( I strongly doubt it, if I'm that lucky I'm doing the lottery this week) - and how would we judge that I'm talking out of my arse ? well knowing that I've never shot N&G and also know bugger all about studio lighting would be a good start

On the other hand is Cosmix offers advice, we know its likely to be accurate because he shoots a lot of N&G, has demonstrated he's very good at it, and has been published numerous times.

As I said earlier anyone can critique a shot by saying what they or don't like and why, but in order to be taken seriously when offering technical advice - or indeed when pronouncing someone's work to be without merit and branding them an inept photographer (as Gordon has done), its a good idea to establish a reason why anyone should take you seriously - of course posters are free not to , but other members are equally free to recognise troll behaviour

Does anyone else feel that some people use this site as a sort of dating website? I shall refrain from naming names but certain people seem hell-bent on distracting me and demanding attention at times. I'm not just talking about women either, a couple of men have more or less thrown themselves at me too. The same names keep cropping up it seems. I can only assume that's their goal because they seem to care very little for the subject-matter. I wouldn't want us to ban flirting and I'm not suggesting we do, but it does sometimes get in the way of progress.

Don't flatter yourself - people are probably "hell bent on distracting you" because they are tired of the same boring repetitive posts that you otherwise come out with, and its marginally more amusing to watch you tie yourself up in knots as you forget what untruths you have previously told.

1. No one thought you were brilliant, as you've never posted any work to establish where you are or not.?

Apart from one very mediocre shot of a kingfisher , which he wasn't open to critique on

Good trolling.

I stupidly took the thread seriously at first but it's now clear it is an exercise in the old art of the wind-up and it has worked a treat.

39 pages (on tapatalk) and counting. That's a trolling whitewash in anyone's book. Gordon, you are a master of the art.

A+. 90%. Points only lost for some flaws in consistency; but you managed to keep the fire stoked regardless.

Last edited:
Good trolling.

I stupidly took the thread seriously at first but it's now clear it is an exercise in the old art of the wind-up and it has worked a treat.

39 pages (on tapatalk) and counting. That's a trolling whitewash in anyone's book. Gordon, you are a master of the art.

A+. 90%. Points only lost for some flaws in consistency; but you managed to keep the fire stoked regardless.

Appreciated. I'm bound of course to deny it's a wind up. Hope you enjoyed it though.

Hope you enjoyed it though.
Indeed.
Would read again.

I though you'd maybe blown it when you said you'd binned the only photos of your nephew's first steps. A very risky play. Pulled it back though.

I have to say not really - a really effective troll would have people still taking him seriously after page 5 - all Gordon has achieved is to be so obviously a re-member that many people are now poking him with sharp sticks to get him to dance for their amusement (I'd be highly surprised if there is anyone in this thread who thinks he's serious, and I did hear tell of a sweepstake running on who it actually is. )

Indeed.
Would read again.

I though you'd maybe blown it when you said you'd binned the only photos of your nephew's first steps. A very risky play. Pulled it back though.

I had concerns about that myself. I was all-in with that but, of course, it's true. And that's the thing, a little spoonful of truth helps the medicine go down.

Seems to me the sharp stick is being poked the other way and many are being led in the dance and merrily, obliviously a dancing they are. Dance on.:)

It is rather a sad indictment that this charade has been allowed to continue past the first few posts let alone over 380 posts.

It is rather a sad indictment that this charade has been allowed to continue past the first few posts let alone over 380 posts.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation though :( act fast the greenies get lambasted for being harsh, act slow and while you see where I'm going :) thankless task :(

My suspicion is that they let it run for April 1 - at midnight gordy will get banned, the threads closed , and it will be revealed that it was chris with a dual account all along ;) (By the way if anyone wants to know how I've diagnosed the Gordy is "Chris part deux , the revenge of the cobra" - its obvious from the way in which he acts like a colossal pink member )

Last edited:

A sad indictment of what or who? This thread has had around 7 thousand page views in about 4 days, with several hundred comments. Clearly a lot of people, like myself not long ago, come here to read and don't necessarily take part. I know some of them would have found the discussion useful.

If I have one regret its that I didn't really get into the nitty gritty of how to produce razor sharp wildlife shots and I would have liked to hear other people's views on that. I'm finding that a lot of the so-called golden rules of photography are utter nonsense. For example, the idea that your shutter speed should never be lower than your lens length -- complete tripe. I often shoot with a shutter-speed of 100 to 200 using a 500 mm lens.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation though :( act fast the greenies get lambasted for being harsh, act slow and while you see where I'm going :) thankless task :(
I'm a big fan of light-touch modding. And I'm not sure I see the point in thread-locking. It's patronising.
If there are serious issues (legal, bullying, etc) with a thread, delete it, if not, let it run as long as its natural life. Locking is a nonsense. It's schoolteacher-esque. Treat adults like adults.

My suspicion is that they let it run for April 1 - at midnight gordy will get banned, the threads closed , and it will be revealed that it was chris with a dual account all along ;) (By the way if anyone wants to know how I've diagnosed the Gordy is "Chris part deux , the revenge of the cobra" - its obvious from the way in which he acts like a colossal pink member )
Its running because we like a laugh as well as the next member Pete :D
Revenge of the Cobra? do you really think I can be that arrogant?
(Don't answer that, that was rhetorical :p)
And LOL at the revenge of the pink member :D

Quite funny this. I'm in this delicious position where I know you are talking utter crud with this conspiracy theory. Feel free to work out a way to disprove your theory and I'll gladly take you up on it -- and remember, according to science all theories must be falsifiable, I.e. It must be at least possible to disprove them otherwise you shouldn't come up with them in the first place.

If I get banned, it would be useful to know why when I have only ever been nippy with those who have been nippy to me. Banning me would simply reinforce the sense that this forum like so many others has been hijacked by a clique of people who see anyone and anything new as a threat.

:) you could well be right.

This thread has had around 7 thousand page views in about 4 days, with several hundred comments.

A little like some of the badly composed OOF photos on Flickr, or other sites, you so despise - it doesn't necessarily testify to the quality of the original post.

If I get banned, it would be useful to know why when I have only ever been nippy with those who have been nippy to me. Banning me would simply reinforce the sense that this forum like so many others has been hijacked by a clique of people who see anyone and anything new as a threat.
Why would we ban you? Assuming this is not a duplicate account of course, or you are a previously banned member.
Both are grounds for instant dismissal BTW.

As per my previous post, the "Greenies" like a good laugh as much as the next member
(Pink or not :p)

Quite funny this. I'm in this delicious position where I know you are talking utter crud with this conspiracy theory. Feel free to work out a way to disprove your theory and I'll gladly take you up on it -- and remember, according to science all theories must be falsifiable, I.e. It must be at least possible to disprove them otherwise you shouldn't come up with them in the first place.

Well the custard proof I asked for and you failed to provide would be a good start

Plus you could post some of these amazing photos (except you can't because they are entirely fictional)

. Banning me would simply reinforce the sense that this forum like so many others has been hijacked by a clique of people who see anyone and anything new as a threat.

Dual accounts are against the rules , so is trolling - also there's nothing new here , its very tired and predictable troll mongering which we have all seen countless times before, and your presence is about as threatening as a care bear - boring yes , tedious indisputably, but threatening, not even close - despite the predictable macho refferences

Well the custard proof I asked for and you failed to provide would be a good start

Plus you could post some of these amazing photos (except you can't because they are entirely fictional)

Dual accounts are against the rules , so is trolling - also there's nothing new here , its very tired and predictable troll mongering which we have all seen countless times before, and your presence is about as threatening as a care bear - boring yes , tedious indisputably, but threatening, not even close - despite the predictable macho refferences

So why follow me around looking for attention? I don't have two accounts, that line of enquiry is a waste of time. And I'm not a troll. I'm just not a clone like you. I've made more valuable contributions here in a week than you have probably made in the many sad years you've been coming here.

But forget all that. Just lighten up, for your own sake.

Back