Food Photography, A Different Perspective

All,

Forgive me if I've misunderstood (it happens, especially after a few glasses of red) , but Michael's post was a lighting tutorial, not an example of how to shoot an exhibit for Good Food magazine or whatever. As such, being a lighting newbie I've found it extremely helpful and will practise the set up in the next day or so. Does it matter if the knife is plastic or the board cheap-looking? No, not one iota. In fact I will most likely be using a plastic knife and cheap board too. But hopefully I will get what I'm after, which is to learn how to light such a set-up. Mike, thank you for your time and effort in producing this tutorial. I look forward to reading the next one and learning from that too.

Yes Michael has now amended the original post to make this clear.

Thank you so much for posting this Michael. I have always enjoyed your lighting tutorial posts and it is good to see how this gorgeous photo was achieved, I really hope the negativity doesn't put you off posting more in this tutorial series, I and I'm sure many others, learn a lot and really appreciate them.

Many thanks for sharing this :)

I don't really consider them to be negative comments. After all, I failed to make it absolutely clear that it was a lighting tutorial, and should have done so in the thread title, TBH.
I hold my hand up to that one, and amended the initial post earlier.

I'd also like to point out that those who have been perceived to post negative comments haven't actually done so. They have merely made judgement of the image, based on the information they have interpreted, and made an assumption as to the purpose of the image.
Whilst that assumption may differ from my intention, it does not make them wrong. Just different.

As this is a lighting tutorial, I feel it's best to add the following image. (NOT AIMED AT ANY POSTER IN THIS THREAD)

This_Is_True.jpg

Now, the reason for the focus on food photography from some of the thread contributors, is down to the fact they were focusing on the subject, rather than the technique. And they all had valid points.
What they were all pointing out, is where the composition or subject, detracted from the potential of the image.
They were offering advice to assist an improvement in final image quality, possibly to match my other food imagery such as below.

_EM10566.jpg
16Sept15-052.jpg
16Sept15-083.jpg
_EM10549.jpg

Or that's my understanding of the matter.

Sort of.

Back