Footwear

Edit My Images
No
Now that summer is nearing an end(!) I need to get some decent footwear for walking during the days when I intend to get out with my camera. I was thinking of Timberland, until I saw the prices.

What do you wear?

I have a pair of Lundhag Ranger boots which are watertight, but cost about £350. Apart from that, just a pair of DM's or wellies.

I make it a rule to always wear over ankle walking boots when out to give some extra support just in case. I have a pair of Raichle (now Mammut) MT Trail GTX boots. Have used them in everything from snow to walking across salt flats in Death Valley (although not for long - it was too hot to be out in the midday heat at 49.5 degrees C!!). Paid over £100 a few years ago, but they will last me for years and won't fall apart...

I use proper walking boots if trekking through mud etc at something like the WRC, otherwise my Karrimors which are kind of half-way between boots and trainers :)

Regatta boots or Salomon shoes or a pair of Apache trainers with steel toecaps.

The boots get used in the worst conditions, next are the shoes but honestly the steely trainers are just as good and cost under half what the boots or shoes cost.

I have POD shoes, they have chunky comfortable soles and look a bit like mocasin type boots, great for steep slopes and rocky formations.

I've used Jack Wolfskin and a brand called Grisport for the last few years. Jack Wolfskin are good and comfortable.

Of the 2 I'd say the Grisport is the more durable; I've got a pair of leather walking shoes which get used in all weathers almost all year around. I'd say they're worn 300 out of 365 days/year so they get plenty of use. I've had them for 2 or 3 years now and they've got years left in them yet. Best walking shoes I've ever bought.

Last edited:
Boots are like lenses- you need more than 1 pair depending on what you're doing.

I have some Timberland boots- they get used for pub trips etc. They wouldn't last if I wore them for hills though and I don't think they would be that water tight if you pushed them.
A lot depends on the conditions, what mileage- whether you want fast and light or more robustness with the sacrifice of weight.

The best boots I own are a pair of scarpa mantas- the older ones- pretty much indestructible but they do come with a weight penalty. If I want something lighter and especially if I'm going to have to scramble then I'll use my sportiva trangos- pre goretex nonsense.
For really tough winter conditions I'll wear sportiva nepal extremes.
But you can also wear approach shoes- sportiva b5s are good and I've used 5.10 as well. Good socks are the key element and I would only wear merino wool- usually I'll go liner then mountaineer or hiker type thickness.
Approach shoes your feet inevitably get wet but they are light. For just mud and little walking a good pair of wellies- Hunters are no longer the make they were so not sure who I'd buy now.
Gators are also handy to have. Choices, choices:D

I have a pair of Merrells, you can get waterproof goretex ones and they are so comfortable. I know a few people who love their merrels and they seem to last for about forever too :)

if you wear 2 pairs of socks don't mix wool with nylon. I generally wear a thin pair of cotton socks then woolly outer ones. Break your new boots in thoroughly as well otherwise it'll be blistertastic.

As for boots, Hitec Magnums are nice and comfortable and give loads of support, and are very well priced, I've got a pair of those and also what are referred to as '58 high legs, think I paid about £20 for them and they certainly put up with a lot of abuse.

I always wear a pair of good leather walking boots. I find they give more ankle support than the trainer type ones. It's important to get a pair that fit well and, as mentioned above, good socks are a must.

I have a pair of Merrell trail boots, but once slid down a mountainside as they let go in the wet. Never had the confidence to try them in that environment again. They're fine on dry tracks though. I suppose I'm after something a little more stylish, for mainly urban wear.

I bought a pair of Merrell's years ago- I was also less than convinced about their wet grip capability and in the end decided the chance of injury/death with them was too great and they were down graded to boots to wear in the garage/garden:LOL:

If you want grip in muddy conditions you need a chunky sole which does limit style. Either a good 2-3 season walking boot or approach shoe. Berghaus do some reasonable boots though sadly they all have goretex which I think is pointless in a shoe but marketing seems to have convinced people otherwise.
5.10 or sportiva for approach shoes or boreal although not used them. Approach shoes generally have sticky rubber so are not as hard wearing as a walking boot.
Link1
Link2
Link3

There are also Chris Brasher boots but a quick look shows they have also gone goretex mad.

Remember too much style, not enough substance:LOL:

Whatever you get make sure they fit the shape of your feet:)

I I forget the brand now but I got my boots from our local Scout uniform/equipment shop at vastly discounted price, worth a go if you know where it is and if they do boots. These have lasted me about 10 years so far, but the gore tex is starting to give up which is a shame as I can no longer stand in water for very long before they leak.

Other wise my local army surplus place also has good stocks of reasonably priced boots.

Personally the most important bits is a nice knobbly sole for grip, decent ankle support and some form of water proofing (be that gore tex or the old fashioned way of leather and dubbin).

Also make sure you get some proper hike socks, they genuinely made a difference and take them with you when you go to buy the boots. I wouldn't order online as I would want to try them on properly.

It depends on what sort of terrain you are likely to encounter.

Since I'm unlikely to be tackling anything serious (in terms of rocks, etc), I have a pair of gortex walking shoes which are the general go anywhere shoes, and a basic pair of leather walking boots for when I expect there to be slightly deeper mud!

Main requirement was comfort, but with the walking boots they only get worn a few times a year, so could not justify anything more expensive.

I found an old pair of Berghaus Goretex boots in my understairs cupboard, they might do for foul weather. But I'm leaning towards a pair of DM's for urban wear.

Actually, I was hoping to get something that would double up for fishing (off the coastline), but might have to bite the bullet on that.

I'm on my second pair of 5.11 ATAC 8-inch Side Zip boots, the first pair being retired after two bad winters, an Alaskan and an Arizona trip and basically wearing them when not asleep! Very comfortable from out of the box.

You'll have a tough job beating Meindl boots, failing that Magnum are also very good. I've got combat boots from both manufacturers and have hammered them in all sorts of conditions. I've also got normal walking boots from Meindl. All are very well built, comfortable and quick to break in. Get some proper dubbing for them and use it regularly. You'll also need a good pair of socks to go in them too!

Back