For R5 Owners

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Has any of you R5 owners installed the latest firmware update - 1.5.2.
I have DL the firmware from the Canon site but cannot get it to install in the camera. After the Dl I checked it in my card reader and it tells me that it is 1.5.2. I set the camera to "P" mode, install the SD card into the camera and I am told "Meh card containing firmware required to update", but then nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Shouldn’t matter what mode the camera is in.

What you do have to do is go to the menu and select firmware upgrade and then let it process.

It is slow and does need a full battery so make sure you’ve a full charge just in case it’s that that’s stopping it!

Shout if it still won’t have it!

Matt

Hi,

Shouldn’t matter what mode the camera is in.

What you do have to do is go to the menu and select firmware upgrade and then let it process.

It is slow and does need a full battery so make sure you’ve a full charge just in case it’s that that’s stopping it!

Shout if it still won’t have it!

Matt
Thanks for your reply. I turned the "Mode" to "P" as it said to do so on the instructional on You tube, I am now recharging the battery as instructed. Just had another half a dozen attempts to install the update but it still will not have it even though on checking to SD card it is def. there.

Just thinking about this.

What did you put on the card? Did you unzip the file you downloaded first?

You should unzip it first on a PC and only put the .bin (From memory) file on the card!

Last edited:

You should unzip it first on a PC and only put the .bin (From memory) file on the card!
I just copied the complete DL file on my Mac to the SD card.

The file is compressed on download - so if you double-click and open it on your mac, there's a .fir within that compressed file - it's *this file* you need to have on the root of your memory card :)

The instructions say this on the Canon website.....copied below is for a Windows download

Preparations for a firmware update:
After the downloaded compressed file (.zip) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.

*Extracting the downloaded file:
Right-click the zip file, and then select Extract All to extract the file.

In the folder you downloaded are the firmware ( EOSR5152.FIR / file size: 53,117,200 bytes) and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to check the procedure in accordance with the instructions

Last edited:
Oh dear I seem to have made a right old cockup of this. I DL the complete file and did not unzip it. For one thing I do not know how to and I do not have an application for unzipping files.
I guess I will have to carry on with what I have.
I can just about use the Mac but what you are telling me what I need to do I am afraid it is beyond my limited knowledge.
Thanks for your endeavours. (both of you).

You don't need to install another app to extract the file from the zip file.

Just open it and copy the file out onto the card - job should be a good 'un!

Oh dear I seem to have made a right old cockup of this. I DL the complete file and did not unzip it. For one thing I do not know how to and I do not have an application for unzipping files.
I guess I will have to carry on with what I have.
I can just about use the Mac but what you are telling me what I need to do I am afraid it is beyond my limited knowledge.
Thanks for your endeavours. (both of you).
I am not a Mac user but Canon say this of the downloaded file. Note ~ very similar to the .zip file but as I read it it is a .dmg

Can I ask did you download the correct file i.e. the one for handling on the Mac and not the Windows zip file???

Canon info about the Mac file

Supporting Documents​

DOWNLOAD
I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download.

Driver/Software Details​

File Nameeosr5-v152-mac.dmg
File Version1.5.2
File Size62.01 MB
File LanguagesEnglish | Spanish | French | Japanese | Chinese
Post Date03/17/2022
Download and Installation InstructionsFirmware Version 1.5.2 incorporates the following enhancement:
1. Optimizes AutoFocus accuracy when Extender RF1.4x or Extender RF2x is attached to the RF800mm F5.6 L IS USM and RF1200mm F8 L IS USM lenses.
2. Enhances the stability of Eye Detection.
3. Enhances AutoFocus tracking when shooting moving subjects.

Firmware Version 1.5.2 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.5.1. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.5.2, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Preparations for a firmware update:
After the downloaded compressed file (.dmg file) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.

*Extracting the downloaded file:
The downloaded folder is automatically extracted, and a firmware folder is created. If the download folder cannot be automatically extracted, double-click the folder.

In the folder you downloaded are the firmware ( EOSR5152.FIR / file size: 53,117,200 bytes) and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to check the procedure in accordance with the instruction.

NOTE and FWIW this is the page I was looking at....the Canon USA site....but that shouldn't make a difference

EDIT

Here is the UK/EU site link showing the download link for Mac users

Last edited:
Yes thank you I did DL it from The UK site, it DL without any problems and I have it in my DL folder and it was for the Mac.

Yes thank you I did DL it from The UK site, it DL without any problems and I have it in my DL folder and it was for the Mac.
I read the instructions again.....and it says if it does not auto extract, to double click it. Sorry to ask (the obvious;) ) but did you double click :thinking:

I know @Bebop is a Mac user and has or had Canon so hopefully she or any other Mac user can help further.

Okay I realised I had not carried this out correctly but have reformatted the Sd card and just copied and pasted to it the fin. file, but still no good, I am told there is no data on the card.

Okay I realised I had not carried this out correctly but have reformatted the Sd card and just copied and pasted to it the fin. file, but still no good, I am told there is no data on the card.
Can I just clarify....
You have extracted the files from the download~ yes?

You can see in the extracted folder the firmware file EOSR5152.FIR and the pdf instructions ~ yes,?

If the answer to both is yes, have read the pdf instructions and followed "exactly" what they say?

NB I have not downloaded it myself to read the pdf but when you say you formatted the SD card do you mean formatted in the camera? That I perceive is key.......unless the instructions either saying nothing or specify in which way to format it (in camera or on the computer???).

Can I just clarify....
You have extracted the files from the download~ yes?

You can see in the extracted folder the firmware file EOSR5152.FIR and the pdf instructions ~ yes,?

If the answer to both is yes, have read the pdf instructions and followed "exactly" what they say?

NB I have not downloaded it myself to read the pdf but when you say you formatted the SD card do you mean formatted in the camera? That I perceive is key.......unless the instructions either saying nothing or specify in which way to format it (in camera or on the computer???).
Good morning and thank you for your reply to my problem. To answer your comments,
Yes I formatted the SD card in the camera.
I can see the FIR. file & the PDF instructions in the download.
I then copied and paste the update file to the SD card and then inserted it into the camera.

Then I get a message telling me the SD card is empty.

one thing that has caught me out on the mac is that when unzipping files more than once the mac adds numbering to the file. For the firmware update to work you'll need to check and delete any extra numbers and make sure to copy into the root folder of the SD card. Then it should work.

one thing that has caught me out on the mac is that when unzipping files more than once the mac adds numbering to the file. For the firmware update to work you'll need to check and delete any extra numbers and make sure to copy into the root folder of the SD card. Then it should work.
I am sorry but you could ben talking French to me I do not know how to find the root folder to copy it to.

I am not that clever with computers.

I am sorry but you could ben talking French to me I do not know how to find the root folder to copy it to.

sorry, the root folder means the top level folder, not in any sub folder.

What Tim is describing...... AFAIK

Is to be sure that the file name EOSR5152.FIR had not been altered by the way a Mac extracts the file, before you copy it to the SD card......and once copied(as precaution) check the SD to see that the file is still named exactly EOSR5152.FIR

His reference to the root folder is indeed computer : 'speak' but setting that aside the pdf instructions should have described the process in more layman's terms. That is why I asked about following exactly what they said.

His reference to the root folder is indeed computer : 'speak' but setting that aside...
As with any emerging technology, people have had to invent words and phrases to describe the workings of computers.

It serves no purpose except, perhaps, boosting the writer's ego, to belittle another who uses the correct term to describe a technical problem and/or its solution.

Sorry I am a bit late to the party after being tagged. I have a Mac and an R5, and am on 1.5.2. I didn't have any problems. Probably stating the obvious below, but just in case something is amiss... here is what I think I did...

From memory - so might be worth double checking against the instructions!!
1. reformat the SD card in camera.
2. Remove lens and put R5 on 'P' if it says so. I think M is fine too, but not auto. Make sure battery is full.
3. Download the file from the website.
4. Double click on the downloaded file - this will open it up in a Finder Window. There will be a ReadMe file in there with instructions and also the firmware file .fir or similar.
5. Insert SD card into computer and drag the .fir file onto the SD card. It needs to go in at the top level as the screenshot in previous post above shows - so it is in the same column as DCIM. (You can also right click and copy the file and then go into that column on the SD card and paste). I think dragging it onto the SD card itself will put it in at the top level anyway.
6. Put SD card into camera and go to the spanner menu and Firmware version. When you click on this, it should recognise that there is a new firmware version on the SD card. You then have to select it and choose to update the firmware.

I think once completed you then have to turn the camera off and on again to check that the firmware is updated - and possibly remove the battery too. Once it is updated, reformat the SD card in camera again.

Apologies if this is detail overload.

The Firmware update needs to be pasted into the same column as DCIM and MISC.
View attachment 360223
Sorry I am a bit late to the party after being tagged. I have a Mac and an R5, and am on 1.5.2. I didn't have any problems. Probably stating the obvious below, but just in case something is amiss... here is what I think I did...

From memory - so might be worth double checking against the instructions!!
1. reformat the SD card in camera.
2. Remove lens and put R5 on 'P' if it says so. I think M is fine too, but not auto. Make sure battery is full.
3. Download the file from the website.
4. Double click on the downloaded file - this will open it up in a Finder Window. There will be a ReadMe file in there with instructions and also the firmware file .fir or similar.
5. Insert SD card into computer and drag the .fir file onto the SD card. It needs to go in at the top level as the screenshot in previous post above shows - so it is in the same column as DCIM. (You can also right click and copy the file and then go into that column on the SD card and paste). I think dragging it onto the SD card itself will put it in at the top level anyway.
6. Put SD card into camera and go to the spanner menu and Firmware version. When you click on this, it should recognise that there is a new firmware version on the SD card. You then have to select it and choose to update the firmware.

I think once completed you then have to turn the camera off and on again to check that the firmware is updated - and possibly remove the battery too. Once it is updated, reformat the SD card in camera again.

Apologies if this is detail overload.
Thanks to you.

Thanks to you all for your advice.
I cannot get the update into the camera, I am told that the card has a no detail. I have tried and tried again but no way can] I get the update to go into the camera.

Thanks to you all for your advice.
I cannot get the update into the camera, I am told that the card has a no detail. I have tried and tried again but no way can] I get the update to go into the camera.
Did you buy the camera locally ?
I’m sure the chaps in the shop would help.
Perhaps there’s a forum member who could help out in a hands on situation.

Did you buy the camera locally ?
I’m sure the chaps in the shop would help.
Perhaps there’s a forum member who could help out in a hands on situation.
No bought the camera from Panamoz`.

As with any emerging technology, people have had to invent words and phrases to describe the workings of computers.

It serves no purpose except, perhaps, boosting the writer's ego, to belittle another who uses the correct term to describe a technical problem and/or its solution.
It was not & never is my intention, to anyone, to belittle another's contributions to aid another person. If I have done this to Tim @TimHughes then I apologise. As you may have noticed Tim (I was typing when he posted) did expand but my intention by asking @swiftflo to try to be sure he followed the written pdf was to aid avoid him tripping over terms he was not used to reading....?

I sincerely hope with other folk chipping that he can resolve his problem of updating his firmware.

It was not & never is my intention, to anyone, to belittle another's contributions to aid another person. If I have done this to Tim @TimHughes then I apologise. As you may have noticed Tim (I was typing when he posted) did expand but my intention by asking @swiftflo to try to be sure he followed the written pdf was to aid avoid him tripping over terms he was not used to reading....?

I sincerely hope with other folk chipping that he can resolve his problem of updating his firmware.
Thanks, but no I cannot resolve the problem, so given up on it.

Thanks, but no I cannot resolve the problem, so given up on it.
Are you able to see that the firmware file is copied to the SD card when it is in the computer?
Have you checked that the SD card hasn’t accidentally got locked (the little plastic lug on the side)?

Edit: Have you got a 2nd SD card you could try? Clutching at straws :)

Last edited:

I wrote my reply rather quickly and the computer speak came automatically. Thank you for explaining it much better.

I wrote my reply rather quickly and the computer speak came automatically. Thank you for explaining it much better.
Technology is a marvelous thing and tech speak (jargon?) is found in all industries.

In all my jobs since leaving school in 1973 I have had to contend with it........and indeed in a range of situations that has included demonstrating, installing & training the users of equipment in a1 to 1 environment.

I am still the optimist about most things and sincerely hope that perhaps Peter @swiftflo can find someone (camera club, shop e.g. LCE, knowledgeable Canon user...?) who can give him some hands on help to solve the problem.

Have you tried updating the firmware using the EOS utility? This needs the camera connected to your Mac with usb cable.

Have you tried updating the firmware using the EOS utility? This needs the camera connected to your Mac with usb cable.
No I haven't, I thought about it but I do not have a USB cable.

This update is really bugging me that I cannot get it to work.
I have just been looking at another You Tube video and it is also suggested to take the lens off the camera so I have tried that and also inserted the SD card directly into the back of the Mac instead of into a card reader and that did not work. Whilst the SD card was in the back of the Mac I checked what was on it and the update is def. on the SD card. Still will not load onto the camera.

Last edited:
If you post a screenshot of the contents of your sd card (or a phone photo of it open in finder) that will at least clarify if you have in fact unzipped the downloaded file

If you post a screenshot of the contents of your sd card (or a phone photo of it open in finder) that will at least clarify if you have in fact unzipped the downloaded file

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 15.16.03.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 15.16.03.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 13
This looks a little like it might have the PDF in there, although I'm not completely sure what I am looking at.

I have made a quick screen recording of what I do to get the firmware file on to the SD card. I think this may be where you are having issues, but I could be wrong. It is too large to put on here, so I will add it to my YouTube channel and share it there. Actually I may add some audio to explain too - will take me a few minutes to get it there.

Edit: It's just uploading to YouTube. I'll PM you the link when it's done. I haven't added audio as it will take me longer than I thought.

Edit again - link is sent in PM

Last edited:
Absolutely no idea what the OP has posted a screenshot of. When I copy the firmware file to a memory card I get the following.

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 21.40.58.pngScreenshot 2022-07-12 at 21.41.15.png

@swiftflo Peter

As mentioned I am not a Mac user but even as a PC user I am unsure what you are showing us,?
What is unusual is that the .fir firmware file has a very odd icon....just what is W-space?

And again unusually the .pdf instructions file is showing a folder as the icon???

Can you please explain what it is that you have screen grabbed or taken a picture of so that I/we can learn?

This looks a little like it might have the PDF in there, although I'm not completely sure what I am looking at.

I have made a quick screen recording of what I do to get the firmware file on to the SD card. I think this may be where you are having issues, but I could be wrong. It is too large to put on here, so I will add it to my YouTube channel and share it there. Actually I may add some audio to explain too - will take me a few minutes to get it there.

Edit: It's just uploading to YouTube. I'll PM you the link when it's done. I haven't added audio as it will take me longer than I thought.

Edit again - link is sent in PM

Absolutely no idea what the OP has posted a screenshot of. When I copy the firmware file to a memory card I get the following.

View attachment 360385View attachment 360386
Peter

These two members are Mac users and even they are struggling to understand what you have shown us.

In the case of @L320Rio , apart from PC to Mac screen appearance differences, what he has shown is very familiarly akin to a PC 'view'.

I hope that @Bebop PM to you with the video link for your perusal helps clarify things for you.

Back