Forget GAS for cameras -- how about those bags?!

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Over the years, I have changed my camera equipment for bigger. smaller, more and less and it was only today, after trying to find a bag for my latest equipment haul that I pulled out all my camera bags -- oh dear, shouldn't have done that. Turns out that if I include the one that I bought for my wife but that I occasionally use and the one that's coming tomorrow, I have seven, ranging from a small hip bag to a giant Lowepro in which I used to have a lot of lenses. If I add to the list ones that I've had and got rid of over the many years of photography, I would think the list approaches eleven or twelve. One of them, and I don't know what happened to it, was a Billingham Hadleigh that I won by writing 'Letter of the Week' to Amateur Photographer.

Do you buy new bag [almost] every time you change a camera or lens, or do you have one that was originally bequeathed by Louis Dageurre in 1851 and is still going strong?

Interesting

I still have my first lowepro rucksack, and I still use it to shoot rallying (it’s the only bag I have that I don’t mind getting covered in sh it.

I’ve only ever got rid of one bag, it was a massive crumpler that held ‘everything’ therefore was totally useless cos it weighed a ton.

But I’ve only just bought my ‘perfect’ bag, it’s a cheap Chinese rucksack, it’s very small, but holds the R6 with 50mm, 85mm lenses and either the EF 17-35 or 135 with rf adaptor.

So it’s big enough for most photo ‘jobs’ but small enough so that charter airlines accept it as a ‘handbag / briefcase’ which they allow alongside my cabin suitcase.

And I think my current count is 6

My most used and first choice bag when just taking a camera and one lens is a man bag I bought from a market when on holiday in Thailand.

I have four dedicated camera bags including one which was made from my old leather jackets and all do get used when for whatever reason the cheap Thai man bag isn't suitable and one of the others is the better choice.

I also have two camcorder bags which hardly get used now but I keep them just in case. I think they were a shops own brand bag? Maybe Jessops?

I have a few but each has it's specific role to play. Of course, some of those roles are as understudies...

...and don't forget: there are bags for computers, as well, now...

Crumpler Slip-in bag with MacBook Pro 13 inch TZ70 P1030764.JPG

My most used and first choice bag when just taking a camera and one lens is a man bag I bought from a market when on holiday in Thailand.
I’ve a lovely leather A4 sized man bag I’d love to convert to a city camera bag (doesn’t fit my current laptop).

But I reckon it’d need serious disassembly and professional reassembly

I have a hessian sack - I think it once held some kind of cattle feed - and I chuck the camera stuff in it & sling it over my shoulder. Makes me look like an organic gardener, even on the tube. Never been mugged for my gear in an inner city - they're not interested in trowels. ;-)

Yes, I have the same camera back affliction, although I have managed to sell a load.

My main bag, Evoc Stage Capture, was bought when I switched to mirrorless and my FStop Gear bag was too big, the kit was just rattling around inside. However the bigger bag does get used occasionally. Then I have various smaller bags too.

I had a Lowepro Computrekker for 12-13 years until the zips started to go... Ideal for a gripped body plus 200-500 lens....

Wanted something more stringent airline friendly so got a Tenba Solstice 24L - just right for gripped body plus 200-500. Acquisition of the Nikkor 500 necessitated purchase of the Lowepro 650AW which when empty is heavier than the lens on its own... A small Tamrac bag for camera plus 70-200.... I do want the Nikon soft case they provide with the 200-400 just to use when carrying only the 500...

I have a hessian sack - I think it once held some kind of cattle feed - and I chuck the camera stuff in it & sling it over my shoulder. Makes me look like an organic gardener, even on the tube. Never been mugged for my gear in an inner city - they're not interested in trowels. ;-)
There was an article in a photographic magazine in, I think, the late 1960s. The author suggested taking the empty bag into your garden and kicking it around for an hour or two . This would, he claimed, give it that "I'm not worth stealing" look...

Lowepro Messenger 150 bag with iPad GM5 P1050656.jpg

Oberwerth make arguably the nicest camera bags on the market. Premium leather, extreme attention to detail and beautifully made. Their camera straps are also the best quality but none of them are cheap.

This thread has made me feel a lot better, because I thought I was being a bit stupid about bags!

I've got a Neewer one which I bought from Amazon... it's fairly sturdy, holds loads, but it's really uncomfortable, so I bought a Vanguard rear-opening rucksack, which has a built in USB cable for charging (which I've literally never used). It holds everything except one of my bodies, but I hardly ever take it out as it's really heavy, and if I attach my tripod to it the weight is a long way back and it gets uncomfortable.

I decided that a messenger bag was the way to go, so I have a Vanguard one that's pretty good, but a bit tight if I want to take two bodies out... so I bought a Domke F6 which seems like it's got a bit more room in it, although at the expense of being a little less weatherproof. It's not had much use yet, except as an overnight bag recently, but it looks like it's got plenty of room for at least 4 lenses and a couple of bodies, or 4 lenses with another lens attached to a body. Feels like it will outlast me, too :)
Oh, and I've got a Lowepro thing that literally holds one camera and lens, and maybe a filter and battery - I use that sometimes when I know I'm not taking any other lenses.

So that's hardly any, is it? I definitely need to get four or five more!

(oh and @ShinySideUp that's a great prize for writing in to AP!)

Actually I've never had more than one camera at a time! Well with digital make it two. A D7000 is my DSLR and I carry a point and shoot in a case on my belt all the time. With film I had a Nikon FG and an F5 at the same time, girl friend always grabbed up the F5, had to get rid of her! My first digital was a D70 and no clue what I did with it. Next came a D5000. Gave it to my grand daughter who gave it to her dad, my son. Yhen I got a D7000 still have it today. Most the time with digital I also had a point and shoot of one type or another to carry around while working my dog's. Think I finally learned not to skrimp on point to shoot's. The one I have now is a panosonic ZS 100 and this thing sem's built tuff, maybe it will hold up over a year, would be a good change!

In my film days I often kept several around. My old Nikon FG, a Mamya 6x7 and a Pentax 645 plus a nice little Yashica 635 that I still have but don't use much.

I do not buy a new bag everytime I buy a new camera, probably because I keep the old ones. I have decent size Lowepro backpacks and they are fine for me. I also have a few top loaders for when I am taking one camera and one lens.

On that note has anyone found a top loader for a camera and a Sigma 150-600 ? The only one I can find is a Think Tank. Apologies for the hijack.

I do not buy a new bag everytime I buy a new camera, probably because I keep the old ones. I have decent size Lowepro backpacks and they are fine for me. I also have a few top loaders for when I am taking one camera and one lens.

On that note has anyone found a top loader for a camera and a Sigma 150-600 ? The only one I can find is a Think Tank. Apologies for the hijack.
Referring back to my original post, I forgot to add that I also have to use the carry-case for my Sigma 60-600mm -- in addition to any other camera bag -- as there is no bag big enough (that doesn't have wheels) to carry that monster with my camera attached, a top loader would be sooo big I'd have to wear cricket pads on my legs to avoid fracturing my knee.

NB No apology needed, this is just a bag-related thread and it can go any way it pleases.

After years of lowepro bags, I moved to peak design 4-5 years ago. Wouldn’t consider anything else now. Have 5ltr sling, 6ltr sling, 15ltr messenger, 20ltr everyday and 30ltr everyday. Just added the tech pouch. Everything they do is the perfect intersection of functionality, comfort, flexibility, security and aesthetic.

After years of asking my wife ‘why do you need another handbag?’ I’m keeping quiet as I’m getting close to having a bigger collection

Oberwerth make arguably the nicest camera bags on the market. Premium leather, extreme attention to detail and beautifully made. Their camera straps are also the best quality but none of them are cheap.

Holy crap, expensive?! You weren't kidding. I'd be terrified of taking it out in public.

my mum and dad bought their first house for not much more than one of their camera bags :eek:
I don't think my parents first house was even that much, of course I'm rather showing my age now.

I have an Atlas Adventure as a day hiking pack that takes everything plus the kitchen sink with proper straps. I stopped looking at bags the day I bought it which was about 6 years ago I think. I also have a Think Tank Retrospective 7(?) for city days out which will take a body + lens, a flask of coffee and other bits and bobs. And the cheapest Lowerpro sling pack for [short distance] cycling which generally holds one camera + lens & a waterproof.

The bigger bags I had always suffered from being a camera bag first (with poor straps and no space for anything apart from camera gear), or they were hiking packs with an insert that I could never get organised properly or access easily. The Atlas pack has a dedicated compartment for camera gear and has a clever folding "third", so you can have 2/3 space for cameras and 1/3 for other stuff, or 2/3 for other stuff and 1/3 for cameras. It's been hammered to hell and back and is still in great condition (if a little mucky)

I have think tank bags... and Peli hard cases for when the gear is in the house. I was Lowe Pro but then I discovered thinktank at Clifton cameras when they actually stocked them a long time ago. I think I have 6. The quality is exceptional.

I also have too many bags. At the moment I mostly use three, my Lowpro backpack when I'm working, a small shoulder bag when I'm traveling "light" and a very small shoulder bag for my Sony ZV1 and light and mic.
I did think about getting my hard case aluminium box out of the attic, but it's a PITA to carry about so maybe I wont.
I'm still looking for the "perfect" bag.

Bags like watches need to be functional (for the purpose they are required for) and robust. Everything else is the triumph of marketing over common sense.

I have camera cases (Thinktank Airport International, Pelican), bags wise I have a Crumpler backpack now in the shed....used it twice, too heavy when filled so why I moved to cases.

Also have a Crumpler Messenger that can hold 2 bodies and like 3 lenses and 2 flashes inside. Great for weddings.

But my personal bag is my now discontinued Wotoncraft Ryker, I saw it and got GAS for it. It is simply adorable, amazing quality. IMO it is my most perfect travel bag. Fit a A73 with 3 primes (24/35/50 F/1.4). Genuine leather, brass hardware. If it is any other brand, it would need another zero added to the price.

The best thing about it, it looks nothing like a camera bag. It looks like a normal messenger bag which is what you want. No brand, no names on show.

gNf0P6r.jpg

Last edited:
I have a case logic bag, bought a while back, It was a clearance item from WEX, I assume because no one wanted the bag in blue, The only issue I have with it is its not waterproof, but to get around that I have a cover if needed. It's served me well but now on the look out for something else, I have seen a USA Gear bag and may go down that route, unless I find something that I consider more suitable.

Oh dear same here , single bags , big bags ,small bags, full kit bags . Etc etc sell one Then feel the need for another .. same with lenses buy one ,test it ,put it away ,never use it ,sell it a year later .. these days I tend to use one camera .one lens and a t.c .but can’t help myself I have to keep buying

I also have too many bags. At the moment I mostly use three, my Lowpro backpack when I'm working, a small shoulder bag when I'm traveling "light" and a very small shoulder bag for my Sony ZV1 and light and mic.
I did think about getting my hard case aluminium box out of the attic, but it's a PITA to carry about so maybe I wont.
I'm still looking for the "perfect" bag.
Perfect simply doesn't exist. Perfect for one person is not for another!

Reactions: zx9
I've done ok over the years but i may be in the market for a new bag. Always bought lowe pro as they just work and their cost/quality has always been good compared to some more expensive stuff. I dread to think how much peak design stuff is having seen the price of some of their tripods for example...

I've put a link to the bags in below as I have tried to read through this thread with people talking about specific bags without referencing what they look like or what they hold etc - very hard to understand without a visual reference.

1.) Firstly i bought a messanger style Lowe pro - a blue Nova 5 AW

It was great for access but over 1 shoulder it was just utterly painful with several lenses on long days so i quickly found that I needed a back pack.

2.) So when I got a tele photo prime i bought one of these in around 2006 - Nature trekker AWII

It was used when I did motorsport stuff for trecking round a track or forest with all my equipment. Since I bought a second body as a remote camera this year I've started using it again - but the top of the straps have started to sheer -> obviously my back can take more weight than the back pack can hold....

3.) This didn't carry a laptop though, so once I bought myself a laptop in around 2012 I then bought myself a computrecker AWii second hand. This was ideal for traveling as it held everything in the base and had space for other stuff - but I just found the camera compartment too small for a 300 F4 or 70-200 F4 and body and wide angle - access was difficult too. either through the top of the bag (where all your stuff was) or by undoing the zip at the bottom, really fiddly

4.)....So I then got to the compromise between 2 and 3 - flipside 400 AWII

I bought this when the new version had just come out - it holds the laptop, opens up to a full backpack size camera compartment and includes a pocket on the front that you can stuff a few bits and peices - this is my goto bag for travelling and general useage now. Although with the issues I've had on the nature trekker I've used it for some rallys recently and also, the seams around its straps seem to be coming loose.. I'm noticing a theme....

5.) I also bought a smaller Nova 170 recently for holidays and lighter travel

edit: having said all that. I;ve just had a look at the lowe pro website and some of the bag prices on there these days are eye watering...!!!!

Last edited:
I have a Nova 180 arriving this afternoon, I'll review it later.

I have a Nova 180 arriving this afternoon, I'll review it later.

Well, it arrived, it was opened, it was seen to be for tiny mirrorless cameras with tiny lenses and people with tiny fingers, so in a tiny bit of time it has been re-packaged and will be sent back tomorrow.

It was just too small for what I wanted even though I had compared the dimensions to an existing bag I had. It seemed just right on paper but I would have ended up throwing a lot of the internal padding away and it just didn't seem worth it. Oddly, the way the compartments were laid out gave me a good idea for one of my existing bags and now I find I don't need a new one at all. Weird how things turn out.

I'm not sure who that bag is aimed at in its supplied form because when I said above about 'tiny' things, I wasn't kidding. All the compartments seemed to be miniature versions of what a 'real' camera bag would consist of; I didn't think there were interchangeable-lens cameras that small. The internal length of 25.5cms is divided into three equal parts with two of the parts divided into two crosswise; who has lenses and cameras that small?!

Last edited:
in my nova 170 i can fit an R5 with the EF/RF converter on and a 16-35 2.8, plus a 24-105 F4 and a laowa 12mm F2.8.

All tightly packed and i can even get a 70-200 F4 in in absence of one of those, all be it without the zip done up - but thats the point - its small, compact and Ideal to put in the footwell of a car or something on a road trip when you don't want to carry round the weight of the world in your bag

Back