Formula 1 Testing - Silverstone 2006

Joe T

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
DSC_3990-01a.jpg

As already mentioned in one or two threads around here, there is F1 testing at Silverstone a number of times this year.

I have already booked a number of days off work to go to this. Its a great day out, mostly cos tis free :p and you can get into reasonably good postions to shoot the cars from.

Anyway, the dates I am going are as follows:

23 February 2006

25 April 2006

26 April 2006

17 May 2006

If any of you want to come along, that would be really good. The more the merrier!

The full Silverstone calender for 2006 can be found here

My pictures from the last time I went (back in September last year) are here

Looking forward to seeing some of you there! :D

How much activity is there on these testing days? Do you wait all day for a car to go round a few times or is there something happening all the time?

1st date is my birthday so I may not be able to make that one but it certainly sounds interesting.

Count me in for at least two of those dates....

DSC_2185a.jpg

MyPix:thumb:

well, when i went in september last year there were at least five teams with two cars each with almost constant runs all day, there was a break for lunch for an hour with no activity..
but you can get right upto the fence about 30 mtrs from the track just before the pit entry lane

MyPix

The dates in April look pretty good to me. I would like to drop in on my family in the UK around then anyway so I might see if I can't fit in two days at Silverstone as well.

IMG_2613.jpg

We got some great shots there last year. :)

:thumb: Sounds like a great idea for a day out...even the B/F will be happy

Not being one to turn down a great photo opportunity, I think I will pop along aswell.

I think I left my chain link tripod there last time.;)

MEP-03-06-05XC7E2203F1.jpg

MEP-03-06-05XC7E2205F1.jpg

Taken with Matt's Sigma 800mm, when he could get it back form other TPF members.:p

Matt said:
Taken with Matt's Sigma 800mm, when he could get it back form other TPF members.:p

:laugh1:You have to watch that Ian, turn your back and he's off with your kitt :p

I'll be up for one of the 1st 2 dates......just need to get a telephoto now ;)

i might book one of these too, wanted to get there last time but couldnt get the time off

Will have to check on the dates but should be ok for at least one of them

Really want to see how fast these things are .....only seen Formula 3000 years ago in Birmingham road circuit.....although have seen GP bikes :)

DJW said:
Really want to see how fast these things are .....only seen Formula 3000 years ago in Birmingham road circuit.....although have seen GP bikes :)
That was one of my main reasons for wanting to go last time, you’ll certainly get panning practice. As for the noise they make…this little girl had the right idea :)

EPV0322.jpg

Ear plugs...good idea...went to the Monster Truck show in Birmingham indoors last year ...how loud. Then they brought a miniature jet dragster in.....too much ;)

might not be THAT loud now, they have the different engine configurations now

Wurz has signed as Williams test and friday driver

Hmm. My friend just joined Williams. Wonder if he can get me into the pit area. :D

sigma%20800.jpg

That's one SERIOUS looking lens! What would my pics look like with the 350D kit lens? :ponders:

IanC_UK said:
imagine the ones above that Matt, me and Steve took, but much further away ;)
:laugh1: :laugh1:

:grinshake :finger1: :first:

I went a couple of years back and everyone was restricted to the invalid spectator area at Woodcote. I must be going deaf as I never found the noise a problem, be prepared for it to be cold though, Silverstone can be a very cold and windy circuit. If they allow you to wander around the circuit cross over the bridge before the cars come back into woodcote area and you should be able to get some good shots of the cars coming under Bridge, spectator area is flat reasonbly low on fencing and probably the closest you'll get to the cars on track if you are like me without an SLR and only use compacts. Don't expect to be allowed into the pit lane or paddock though.
No details on a date as yet but, the BTCC Media day is at Brands Hatch this year, pit lane is usually open to everyone during lunch break, but 16yrs and over even when the cars are coming in and out but beware the drivers will aim for their pit garage whether your standing in front of it or not.

Well bought a 70-210 zoom, so hope with cropping for web shots this will suffice on the day ?

i used a 200 in my pix ( get it ? ) so you can see how much difference the larger lenses make

but great shots are obtainable

MyPix

there will be no cropping now i have my Sigma ( Bigma ) 50-500 APO HSM lens

MyPix

MyPix said:

MyPix

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :D Good on ya. Now are you gonna answer my question ;)

MyPix said:

MyPix

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :D Good on ya. Now are you gonna answer my question ;) Need to know if I shoudl get a 2x convertor in time.

unless you buy the expensive 2x converter you will loose AF , and if you fit an expensive 2x converter AF will be impossible at full zoom, as available light will be a lot lower,

you can compensate by upping the ISO to 800 or so, and upping the shutter speed a little to stop the shakes hitting you too hard,

even with my new 50-500 lens, i will have to up the ISO for the best results,but its all going to be experimental for a while,

MyPix

Of course the answer is to invite Uncle Arkady along so you can borrow his 600mm Nikkors courtesy of HMG. :D

PHEW............

we thought you were never gona offer, lol

MyPix

Took your time their Rob ;) Which date can you make, as I would love to try that beast out :) ?

Pick a date. I'm not deployed until the summer as we're on stand-down (training cycle) while team 2 goes on R1 (48 hours notice to move).
Most weekends I'll be free and utterly bored.

Joe T said:
Did no-one read this post of mine?

I wouldnt get excited about specific dates until they put them back on the calender.

Saw on another forum that someone phoned Silverstone, and they are redoing the calendar, so may be worth waiting to see what they come up with.

All of the test dates are weekdays by the way, as Silverstone is used weekends for races/trackdays etc.

If you register on Motorsportvision website (free) they will email you notification of any testing of cars or bikes at all their tracks (Brands Hatch etc.) plus will be offered tickets for some events at discount prices.

Brands is just a stones throw from me, wish they did testing there!

Back