FPOTY 2021 Discussion Thread

I think you just insulted me Brian but I'm not sure, however the point you make is entirely valid. In my own case, whilst I vote on FPOTY images based on image quality, I give Likes based on more than that: process, innovation, effort, etc, as well as the image itself. As you say, we all have different perceptions and yardsticks.

No worries Brian, I wasn't sure if it was a pointed comment but as I say it was a point well made nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm happy today because I just acquired an Ensign Selfix 16-20 off the bay for a fair maybe low price

Last edited:
Anyway, I'm happy today because I just acquired an Ensign Selfix 16-20 off the bay for a fair maybe low price

Glad you hopefully got a bargain, and welcome to the 16/20 owner's club! (y) A post in the 'I've got a new toy' thread would be nice when it arrives, as they made a few different models of the 16/20 so it would be interesting to see which one you've bought.

As for 'Likes', I'd say keep them out of the points system. I've seen photos get as many (or almost) likes as the winner, yet finish in the bottom few when it came to the voting, so I never put much faith in them as a true representation of what people really think when it comes to photos. As a system, I think 'Likes' are a useful litmus when posting on the forum in general, if only to provide the poster with some feedback as to whether or not people took their post the right way. However, I think keep them out of the voting/points system for FPOTY.

If we don't want to put people off by leaving them with no votes, then perhaps give people a point each for entering, and double this (or add an agreed number of bonus points) if they enter all 12 rounds. This might encourage people to make the effort each month, particularly if it's close at the top too? I won't be offended if people don't like this suggestion, I'm just thinking out loud with this. :)

Last edited:
... a crappy pinhole shot and asks "what do you think"..I would give a like for achieving something different but would have to learn to keep my fingers off the keyboard to what I really thought o_O:D
If you cant say anything nice...:D

If we don't want to put people off by leaving them with no votes, then perhaps give people a point each for entering, and double this (or add an agreed number of bonus points) if they enter all 12 rounds. This might encourage people to make the effort each month, particularly if it's close at the top too? I won't be offended if people don't like this suggestion, I'm just thinking out loud with this. :)

Quite 'Like' this idea Mr B. A reasonable bonus for '100% attendance' would be an incentive.

Well if you are keen to organise it, I'll happily defer to your greater experience :) As I said in post #10 if I run it the rules will be as discussed above and I have suggested a way of effectively giving points for entering.
No, I'm happy for you to organise it, Chris!

OK, here's a summary of the rules for 2021 and a list of themes. I'm putting this up as a draft to hopefully keep folk involved and give a chance to comment if there are any gross errors, strong objections or themes which people think are unachievable in the current circumstances.

Rules
  • All images entered in FPOTY 2020 must have been taken by you ON FILM and shot on or after the 1st December 2020.
  • The date the photo is taken is defined as the day the shutter is pressed to record the image to film, not the date the film was scanned etc.
  • Digital scans of film negatives are obviously acceptable but so are scans of wet prints, scans of Polaroids, or even a photogram if you’re feeling particularly brave. Lab developing or scanning of films is perfectly acceptable.
  • Anyone can enter this competition at any time, providing that all the rules are met. You do not need to sign up or do anything except post a suitable film photo in the thread for the theme.
  • One entry per competitor per month.
  • Entries cannot be changed once submitted. However, if you find that Flickr etc over sharpens your image or a similar issue, then you are free to re-upload the image again with small changes to make sure that it looks it’s best on the theme thread. To clarify, you cannot change your image for another one, but you can re-upload the same image again with minor amendments which affect the way it’s displayed.
  • Ideally entries should be acceptable for viewing by all audiences in all locations. Entries which are NSFW can still be submitted providing that they meet the forum rules but they should be posted as a link rather than embedded in the thread. They must have a note to say that they are NSFW in order to help people keep their jobs if they’re at work on their lunch, or browsing the forum next to their family etc.
  • There are no restrictions on the interpretation of a theme but be aware that other members who are voting may not share your elastic interpretation and vote accordingly.

Votes
  • There will be 3 votes per voter
  • You do not have to use all of your votes
  • Results will be visible without voting
  • Votes are private, and who you vote for cannot be seen by other members.

• Points will be allocated as twice the number of votes received

Themes
Themes have bee chosen bearing in mind the current pandemic situation and with a little imagination should be possible to shoot any of these on a table top or during a short walk from home. Obviously should circumstances allow then there is no restriction on where shots can be taken as long as they are shot on or after the 1st December 2020.
  1. Dim
  2. Cluttered
  3. Shiny
  4. Accurate
  5. Direction
  6. Random
  7. Pack
  8. Glow
  9. Tempting
  10. Vivid
  11. Magical
  12. Wet

Rules
  • All images entered in FPOTY 2020 must have been taken by you ON FILM and shot on or after the 1st December 2020.
Votes
  • There will be 3 votes per voter
  • You do not have to use all of your votes
  • Results will be visible without votin
  • Points will be allocated as twice the number of votes received

Themes

6. Random

Just a couple of comments on the bits I have quoted:-

FPOTY 2020 ? 2021 please, had enough of this year.

Think these ideas on votes and points are excellent.

Even I might be able to come up for an entry in June

Great work, looking forward to next year.

It all sounds good to me Chris.
All that remains is my decision wether to be involved again.

It all sounds good to me Chris.
Go on, you know you want to. Treat it as a bit of a creative "workout" rather than a competition

I’d be onto a winner with a selfie for January :ROFLMAO:

Anyone who cares to agree:bat:

Time to dig out a 35mm (compact?) WHY?..well if I was a LF shooter wouldn't want to waste an expensive LF shot for a subject that I wasn't interested in.

Some challenging these for the imagination there, but I shall be endeavoutring to participate as much as possible.
Well done Chris

Time to dig out a 35mm (compact?) WHY?..well if I was a LF shooter wouldn't want to waste an expensive LF shot for a subject that I wasn't interested in.

If I had the same mindset Bri, I’d expose very little .
That is not an option.
I enjoy using the kit ( much more so than ANY smaller format camera of which I’ve had many) and as such I’ll ‘waste’ as much film as I wish on mundane scenes should the urge arise like today with the snapshot...... 6 frames, one of which was a sign, and several others were my cats .

That cost me approx 4 quid.
The chances are they will all be for the bin or at most a 10x15 souvenir print but I enjoyed using the camera and above all I HAD FUN!!!

Ffs I’m becoming fed up of hearing cost cost cost ...... Either pay and enjoy or pack in and do something less expensive .....,like nothing!!

The last comment is NOT personal, however if the cap fits........

Last edited:
That is not an option.
I enjoy using the kit ( much more so than ANY smaller format camera of which I’ve had many) and as such I’ll ‘waste’ as much film as I wish on mundane scenes should the urge arise like today with the snapshot...... 6 frames, one of which was a sign, and several others were my cats .

The chances are they will all be for the bin or at most a 10x15 souvenir print but I enjoyed using the camera and above all I HAD FUN!!!

Ffs I’m becoming fed up of hearing cost cost cost ...... Either pay and enjoy or pack in and do something less expensive .....,like nothing!!

Sorry for derailing the thread guys ( @RaglanSurf sincere appologes Nick:sorry:)

So back on topic, if we can convince everyone else that the FPOTY 2021 is a hopeless case then I'm up for being the only entrant :naughty: ;):LOL:

Last edited:
That is not an option.

Well said but for me, if I find something interesting for the comp would take 2 or 3 shots at different angles\views and pick the best...I ain't that good to get it in one. :rolleyes:

Thanks for taking this on Chris, it's good to pass this on to a safe pair of hands.

I'm liking the opportunity to get snapping early, particularly in the current climate I can see it giving people a chance to get ahead of the game.

A couple of things that came to mind,
The 2 x votes = points is an interesting idea, but it does make it extra important that you do well at the start of the year, as participation dwindles throughout the year, it's likely that there'll be somewhere in the region of 20-30% drop out. which makes early months more valuable.

Also, is there a danger if you only allow 3 votes per month that a lot of people will end up with no votes very early on and become disillusioned, increasing the drop out rate further?
I appreciate that a lot of people enter just for the fun of it but seeing no appreciation for their entries can be a little demoralising.

Finally, allowing people to see the voting without voting themselves, is it possible that this may influence the voting?

Just my thoughts :D

Snip:
Finally, allowing people to see the voting without voting themselves, is it possible that this may influence the voting?

My thoughts exactly, plus being able to vote for as few as one person if you want. Tight at the top with a rival? Well, just vote for yourself, or your mate... or perhaps manipulate the vote against someone you've fallen out with in a previous thread! The opportunity is certainly there with that system.

To minimise the potential for any unsporting behaviour I genuinely believe that the results should remain invisible until the forum member has voted, and make it so that votes can't be changed after they've been placed (to prevent people having a look, then changing their vote to manipulate things). Also, make 3 votes compulsory (this should ensure that more people receive at least some votes).

Nothing is 100% but at least someone would have to make a concerted effort to manipulate the voting system if these measures were brought in. Better still, make it so that the results can't be seen until the voting is over... although this might be beyond the options in the forum poll software?

Last edited:
The 2 x votes = points is an interesting idea, but it does make it extra important that you do well at the start of the year, as participation dwindles throughout the year, it's likely that there'll be somewhere in the region of 20-30% drop out. which makes early months more valuable.
I've just looked back at this year and this is a fair point, the number of voters has fallen from 28 in January to 12 in October, so I propose normalizing the points as
P = V x 40/N
where P is points, V is number of votes, N is the number of voters and 40 is a factor which, based on this year's voter numbers, will give similar points for first place as this year, points will be rounded up. If there are a massively different number of voters in 2021 than this year then I might tune "40" factor based on the first month.

I expect it might :)

My thoughts exactly, plus being able to vote for as few as one person if you want. Tight at the top with a rival? Well, just vote for yourself, or your mate... or perhaps manipulate the vote against someone you've fallen out with in a previous thread! The opportunity is certainly there with that system.
TBH I have much more faith in the F&C community. Let's not kid ourselves, this isn't some major competition with great prestige and prizes, it is a bit of fun between a group of like minded people. If people want to be mean spirted then seeing the votes or not will not change their attitude, there is nothing in what you say which could not apply to this year or previous years. Are you entering in 2021 then? :)

Last edited:
Just to add my only concern with this is that people will hold off on voting to "see how it goes" but the votes will presumably come in eventually.

TBH I have much more faith in the F&C community. Let's not kid ourselves, this isn't some major competition with great prestige and prizes, it is a bit of fun between a group of like minded people. If people want to be mean spirted then seeing the votes or not will not change their attitude, there is nothing in what you say which could not apply to this year or previous years.
This. I see it as more of a challenge than a competition, since we're really challenging ourselves to get out and shoot some film on a topic which we might not otherwise shoot. It's certainly got me off my backside this past couple of years. :)

It's 24 big sleeps until Christmas but only one sleep before you can start shooting for FPOTY 2021, I've put up the rules & themes and a discussion thread

I know there is a bit of change this year and as analogue people change might not be our favourite thing but please give it chance, it'll be fun and you'll get points :) . Happy shooting.

Back