FILM Photographer of the Year 2021 Discussion Thread

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the discussion thread for FILM Photographer of the Year 2021, please keep all chat in here. The Rules and Themes are >>> here <<<

I'll play too, tho I do have a handicap until the end of january in that I wont have a film camera until then......and then I won't know how to use it.....so expect something from me about this time next year :ty:
Photograms, cyanotypes and other alternative processes are welcome (y)

thanks for your suggestions, I'll bear them in mind :LOL: :LOL: :ty: :olympus:
And don't forget charity shops for bargain film cameras, especially if it's something small to carry with you even after you buy something bigger?

And don't forget charity shops for bargain film cameras, especially if it's something small to carry with you even after you buy something bigger?

I think I need to clarify my thought process on guying a 5x4. It's quite simple and boils down to the indisputable fact that I'm completely cack handed and cannot for the life of me get a roll of film onto a developing spool without destroying half of the film in the process. I'm talking about as a practice in broad daylight, never mind in a changing bag.

On that basis, and with single sheet film, non-curly and with no inherent desire to escape, slotting without fuss into the carriers for the Stearman dev tank, my 5x4 decision was made

There is no way on gods green earth I'm going back to loading films onto spools :exit:

:ty: for reading and :film: but only of the single sheet variety :giggle:

Really like the themes BTW. Not had a chance to look through them properly until now.

(y)

Well I take a dim view on selfies as it's not my or others fault the way we\they look..it's the genes you know o_O :D

This may have been said before but a suitably sized cardboard box in the changing bag makes things a lot easier. I pop everything I need in the box, pop it in the bag turn it the right way round and voilà....sorted.

This may have been said before but a suitably sized cardboard box in the changing bag makes things a lot easier. I pop everything I need in the box, pop it in the bag turn it the right way round and voilà....sorted.
Get you, showing off with your Spanish

Yes I've seen that suggested and have earmarked a tupperware box to act as a support. I just need to finish the christmas cake first......life's hard sometimes

To be fair, actually loading the film was fairly straightforward, far easier than spools. I placed everything neatly in the bag, and then displaced it all trying to get my arms into the sleeves ;/

As if Covid and Brexit aren't enough to cope with, there is now evidence that some of my f&c pals (@Peter B )don't believe that the Earth is flat.......But IT IS!! :exit: :LOL: :LOL:

But IT IS!!

Hafta admit. 'Park' and 'knocked out of' were a couple of phrases that sprang to mind when I saw this.

@sirch
Oy! Books, candles, glasses...that's my thing, how very dare you :)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness :whistle:

Well, if you put it like that....carry on :cool:

@Peter B when I saw your entry I immediately thought "only in america", then I saw the postbox. Where is this??? I need to visit. I assume it's still open as there is no coronavirus is there....
It was certainly there on Tuesday when I took the photo, and it was open while the hairdresser next door was locked down. A guy came out and asked why I was taking photos of it, but I declined his offer to discuss any of the topics in the window. :oops: :$:oops: :$:exit:

I'm sure there's a time and a place for such things Colin, but being indoors (possibly illegal in lockdown?) with a maskless virus denier ain't the place to be at the moment, IMHO. Some recent thoughts of others here, if that's of interest?

You're correct of course Peter, I do like a good debate with a conspiracy theorist of any persuasion, it helps confirm my own tenuous hold on my sanity, but now isn't the time. I'll have a read of the link with my lunch, I've had a stressful morning so it will help me wind down :)

This is the guy who came out and spoke to me on Tuesday. This is from Nairn in 2018 about the time they opened the Inverness place.

So, I posted my "homage" to @sirch's masterpiece... <mumble, mumble> sure I thought of mine first... ;)

Silly me as I had to delete my shot as it broke the rules, but would like to have another go photographing a church in dim light but unlike March lock down when I got a dirty look from the police photographing London from the top of a hill (well it was exercise walking to the top)...I don't think I would get away with it this time by saying "walking from the car carrying a tripod to photograph a church is exercise"...h'mm if I played old age and dementia (which I don't have) card? Nah the police might take my driving licence away. :eek:

Last edited:
Silly me as I had to delete my shot as it broke the rules, but would like to have another go photographing a church in dim light but unlike March lock down when I got a dirty look from the police photographing London from the top of a hill (well it was exercise walking to the top)...I don't think I would get away with it this time by saying "walking from the car carrying a tripod to photograph a church is exercise"...h'mm if I played old age and dementia (which I don't have) card? Nah the police might take my driving licence away. :eek:
If today around here is anything to go by the police will have far more to deal with than you on your own.

If today around here is anything to go by the police will have far more to deal with than you on your own.

If we can't go out then what's left other than indoor or dim garden shot...maybe just for the lock down period we could bend the rules by allowing shots from say June 2020...erm well I could put my shot back up o_O:sneaky:
I've got four shots left on my T90 and the street lighting is not great outside my house h'mm now how to make it interesting.....................................

Back