Freddie the seal mauled by a dog...

One too few? ;)

Licencing works well enough for motorists and gun holders.

Not really, gun licensing didn’t work for the few mass killings we’ve had here and doesn’t work for criminals. If you have watched any of these TV police programs you would have the same view of motorist licensing. Not sure how one can equate cars, guns and dogs anyway :(.

You weren't there. My approach was solely to guarantee my safety and well being. It worked.

I was dozing in my tent when it happened, I had to act swiftly...swift blows with the hammer was the best approach.
No I wasn't, so we'll just have to take your word for it......
Did you hit it when it started unzipping your tent?.....

It obviously knew there was a chicken in the tent....

Last edited:
Not really, gun licensing didn’t work for the few mass killings we’ve had here and doesn’t work for criminals. If you have watched any of these TV police programs you would have the same view of motorist licensing. Not sure how one can equate cars, guns and dogs anyway :(.
The answer is very easily. They all pose a serious risk to people's safety and well being. Two are heavily regulated, one isn't.

No solution is perfect but something is needing done to limit the menace that dogs pose to other people. Simple steps like mandatory on the lead rules, with actual enforcement would seem a logical, and reasonable place to start.

Last edited:
No I wasn't, so we'll just have to take your word for it......
Did you hit it when it started unzipping your tent?.....

It obviously knew there was a chicken in the tent....
And if you do ever find yourself under attack from an animal, I guarantee your first thought isn't its welfare, but how to save yourself.

I hope that never happens to you. It's not great.

Bullsh!t....
What about the elderly? You need protection from them too?
Lots of elderly people who have lost their loved one turn to dogs for companionship.....
And is an old frail person really the most suitable guardian of an animal with the very real potential to kill...

My dad passed away last Monday, we buried him on Thursday. I don't know where she'd be if she didn't have the dogs.

You really are ignorant in the extreme!

Not quite, line bred is mother son / father daughter.
the idea is to try and control inbreeding depression. While keeping the line ( almost) pure

Not in the show world, it's finding dogs that want the qualities of and pairing them, then finding another dog
with similar lines and pairing them to your pups and so on down the line
One good things about the kennel club is they don't (or didn't0 allow direct relation breeding as father daughter, mother son
or siblings

Indeed but we're talking of someone who advocated the killing of unarmed refugees in case they claimed some benefits so it shouldn't really surprise to that killing is his go to solution for any perceived threat.
Very off topic but if dozens of military age men illegally entering your country, from countries that we've bombed, isn't a real threat to you I don't know what is.

If you are happy to be mauled by a fox, great. I wasn't so I killed it.

My dad passed away last Monday, we buried him on Thursday. I don't know where she'd be if she didn't have the dogs.

You really are ignorant in the extreme!
What about other people for contact, and what about other people who could be in harms way because of dogs. Don't they matter?

Oh, FYI, I've got a grand parent alive who's perfectly happy, on their own, without a dog. They're not the be all and end all.

Last edited:
Very off topic but if dozens of military age men illegally entering your country, from countries that we've bombed, isn't a real threat to you I don't know what is.

If you are happy to be mauled by a fox, great. I wasn't so I killed it.
What about other people for contact, and what about other people who could be in harms way because of dogs. Don't they matter?

Oh, FYI, I've got a grand parent alive who's perfectly happy, on their own, without a dog. They're not the be all and end all.

You really are as thick as pigs***! Why don't you take your prejudices, along with a rolled up copy of the daily mail, and shove 'em both up your arse where they belong!

Not in the show world, it's finding dogs that want the qualities of and pairing them, then finding another dog
with similar lines and pairing them to your pups and so on down the line
That's called selective breeding.
Nothing to do with line breeding, they are selectively breeding from the dogs with the best traits.

I've reported your post.
Thanks for the heads up - just as an explanation - when we get RTM's we don't just read the post reported, we read the thread back far enough to work our where the trouble came from. Thats why I banned you from this thread, you nasty little dog-phobic piece of scum*.

Please also report me for my apparent bias against you. We could do with a vote on the relative benefits your permanent removal versus all the moderation team you feel unfit to serve.

* the dog phobic part is only a small contributory part of what makes you a nasty, and scum. I'm sure the rest of the forum only have to search your contributions to various other non-photographic threads to decide the appropriate level of contempt to hold you in...

Last edited:
That's called selective breeding.
Nothing to do with line breeding, they are selectively breeding from the dogs with the best traits.

I think you are both right. The line breeding term has various meanings and in the KC world it generally means sticking to one fairly narrow group of ancestors. In hound breeding they used to (possibly some still do) look only at the ‘sire line’ and ‘dam line’, possibly this worked in pre-computerised pedigree days but I know (outside of dog breeding and including humans) that some folk believe/believed that all male inheritance/genes (I think this goes back further than knowledge of genes) came from the father and so on :(.

The line breeding term has various meanings
I still say that line breeding is breeding from the same line.
Selective breeding is selectively breeding from several lines.

and in the KC world it generally means sticking to one fairly narrow group of ancestors.
And look what they did to the Alsatian. ( Now called GSD) in their efforts to get the perfect dog for the show ring.
No thanks!

And look what they did to the Alsatian. ( Now called GSD) in their efforts to get the perfect dog for the show ring.
When a species selects for a mutation that ultimately makes the phenotype non-viable, the species dies out. This is an observed fact of evolution. When humans select for a mutation that makes the phenotype non-viable, individuals have to suffer the consequences. This is, allegedly, proof of the love many humans show their dogs... :naughty:

No thanks!

and that's exactly why I don't like line breeding in the show world

and that's exactly why I don't like line breeding in the show world
Selective breeding ;)
Especially when they don't know wtf they are doing.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic
Lock your partner/wife/husband in the boot of your car along with your dog.
Drive off road for an hour then return home.
Open the boot of your car and see who greets you most lovingly :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Speaking from experience ? :).

Slightly off topic
Lock your partner/wife/husband in the boot of your car along with your dog.
Drive off road for an hour then return home.
Open the boot of your car and see who greets you most lovingly :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

IIRC, it's perfectly OK to leave a spouse in a car, even with the windows wound up and on a hot day...

IIRC, it's perfectly OK to leave a spouse in a car, even with the windows wound up and on a hot day...

But possibly not in the boot? Also that may depend on the age of the spouse.

I still say that line breeding is breeding from the same line.
Selective breeding is selectively breeding from several lines.

You are perfectly entitled to say that. The problem with ‘technical’ terms is that they tend to have a life of their own once they escape from those who originate and define them. The ‘worst’ current example I can think of is that ‘steep learning curve’ has become endemic (that’s another one;) ) to mean something that is hard to learn whereas it means just the opposite :(

On inbreeding etc, it’s become a trivial matter to calculate coefficients of inbreeding with computerised pedigrees — though there is still the problem of ‘garbage in garbage out’ due to mistakes and, for instance in KC pedigrees, the possibility of fraud since some offspring may be much more valuable than others :(.

The ‘worst’ current example I can think of is that ‘steep learning curve’ has become endemic... ...to mean something that is hard to learn whereas it means just the opposite :(
It's interesting you say that.

I remember that it was commonly used, in the sense of implying great difficulty, by the IT community during the 1980s. True, it was sometimes employed as: "this new language does not have a steep learning curve". I don't recall the basic phrase being used to imply ease of learning, though.

It's interesting you say that.

I remember that it was commonly used, in the sense of implying great difficulty, by the IT community during the 1980s. True, it was sometimes employed as: "this new language does not have a steep learning curve". I don't recall the basic phrase being used to imply ease of learning, though.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear, I mean that it refers to the (theoretically ‘S”- shaped) curve plotting learning against time or experience. Wikipedia seems to agree with me giving An example of what the common (yet confusing) expression "steep learning curve" is referring to. The subject spends a lot of time but does not see an increase in proficiency at first.
(My bold)

Perhaps I wasn’t clear, I mean that it refers to the (theoretically ‘S”- shaped) curve plotting learning against time or experience.
It seems that there are both technical and colloquial uses, with the meanings being quite different. I hadn't previously come across the technical definition and I would imagine that the colloquial usage is many times more widespread than the technical. It's unfortunately the case that usage ultimately determines the meaning of a phrase, no matter the original intent. :wideyed:

Back