Free places and things to do in NY

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Stopping off there for a few days in 3 weeks and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Not really photographic things.

A few days is not enough time in new york so much to see so much to do.

I was there for my 40th birthday last year and did all the touristy things, but the highlight for me was the helicopter ride, seen soo much in such a short time

ive been before and done tourist things so im looking for other stuff, plus im pretty sure a helo ride isnt free, unless its by some kind of air ambulance? hehe

I love people watching and just soaking up the atmos so I'd go and chill out in Grand Central Station for a bit. I love the building and just watching people and the pace of life. Add a good coffee and I'd be happy :)

I love NY, been there 6 times now, so much to do and see!!
Go to the Perfect Pint, 123 W 45th St, Dave the barman is a legend and will look after you!! If shopping at the likes of Maceys, make sure you got to the visitor centre with id, you get a voucher for an extra 15% off everything!!
Try and walk around as much as possible.

I love NY, been there 6 times now, so much to do and see!!
Go to the Perfect Pint, 123 W 45th St, Dave the barman is a legend and will look after you!! If shopping at the likes of Maceys, make sure you got to the visitor centre with id, you get a voucher for an extra 15% off everything!!
Try and walk around as much as possible.

Ooo interesting! Whats this voucher, what ID? Tell me more? hehe

You get an international visitors discount card, you show somthing like your pasport or driveing licence proveing you are from elsewhere and you get the card to scan with anything you buy its somthing like 11% discount. The thing is in the past we used it and they added all the discounts so 50% labor day sale then another 20% off certain items and also used dicsount cards they gave when you bought a pair of jeans in the days before ($10 off) and then your 11% off so you paid nothing for stuff (almost) but the last trip in september the stores in california were only allowing 1 discount. so the $10 off card or the 11% cards no useing both. but great discount.

Also you can get a free bag in the visitors center if you make a purchase so take your recipt back up there.

Bloomingdales also do the free gift when you make a purchase, keyrings, umbrellas and a bag you get to choose.

The best freeby is the staten island ferry, no need to do the liberty island trip and pay to take photos of the skyline and the statue, just jump on the free ferry ride over to staten island, get off spent 10 minutes in the terminal and get back on the return boat and more photos to take.

When I the October before last, I'm pretty sure the MoMA was free on a friday. Some pretty good stuff when we went, plus we managed to get a load of armchair art critics to think that a fire exit sign was an exhibit. :D

Agree about the ferry.(y)
Take the train down to Coney Island, walk around and get a Nathan's hotdog.;)
Walk around the financial district/Central Park/Greenwich village.

One of the best places we found for a slap up brunch was The Garage in Greenwich Village. Live mellow jazz as well.

Sign up for a Big Apple greeter and a local will help you explore an obscure neigbourhood for free!

Ours was brilliant!

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/

If you don't have something confirmed then chase them up just before you go as it's all volunteers.

Another vote for the Staten Island Ferry. Definitely the best freebie in NYC.

Take the PATH system toward Journal Square or Hoboken and get of at Pavonia / newport and walk back towards the river. You get a great view of the Manhatten sky line.

I agree on the B&H. Its like an adults electrical willy wonkas. They have overhead conveyor belts which transports your purchases to the exit where its bagged up and waiting for you. The staff are all orthodox jews so the shop isn't open on saturdays but it is on sunday. They are very helpful and knowledgeable and I've never experienced any hard sell. I love it. Oh and had a fair few bargains there too. Although, Im going next week and Im not expecting too much this time as the dollar is far stronger than my last few visits.

The apple store is one to visit (if you into apple products) on 5th ave opposite abercrombe and fitch (which is also worth a visit ;-)). Its the flagship apple store and its huge.

Ellis Island is cheap to visit and very interesting.

Also the tenement museum tour is pretty good, on orchard street, lower east side on Manhattan.

Obviously, you must visit ground zero, its hard to believe the sheer scale of it until you see the size of the site. I was lucky enough to have been up to the top of the towers before 9/11 and to see the place now is unbelievable. The site is difficult to see properly due to fencing but there is a small church next to it used for rest and feeding and watering the rescue teams. Its free to have a look around. Theres loads of stuff to look at in there including photographs.
If you walk further south from ground zero, you'll walk through the financial district, wheres theres some amazing buildings and finally you will arrive at battery park which is quite peaceful and theres some nice views uptown.
Heres a nosey squirrel in battery park
DSC_0150.jpg

The subway is superb and very cheap. Plenty of photo opportunities on and within the tunnels and trains.

Theres lots of outdoor and indoor flea markets all over manhattan. You can spend ages rooting through the goods. Or just wander around people watching and obviously some good photos to be got. (y)

The Top of the Rock, imo, is better than the empire state. The queues are far less and the views are better as you get to see the empire state in your vista. Also nice to visit at night. But if you have time doing both is worth while.

Central park is huge and theres loads going on. The summer time is best for central park. But winter is still good. Its beautiful in the snow, although there isn't any there at the moment. The ice rink is a good photo subject.
DSC_0175.jpg

Hope you have a good one. Oh and don't forget to register your details online for your visa before you travel. (new US security procedure). Link below for free registration. Some sites try and charge you.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c92EC372F-D578-04B8-76F7-AAD614AA83DB_k7F0F13C1-CE5B-1BF3-DC5E-D9A83B7E0FEA

BTW, i agree with Spike. A few days unfortunately is not enough time. You will get the bug and want to go back. (next week will be my 5th visit and i'm having 8 nights there).
Your best not doing too much sleeping. Sleep can be caught up with when you get home.
Get up early and breakfast in one of the many delis. And stay up late in one or a few of the many great bars. By all means do the tourist thing but try and wander off the tourist trail and sample some real new york in said bars and delis.

Ah well we may only be going for a few days but im staying with my girfriend near Boston for almost 3 months so we will be going back to NY now and then.

I met her through photographing her as she is a model so we will do a whole lot of photoshoots while im in the US, maybe one or two in NY if we go back there. I cant wait! Not long till I leave now, oh and im still hunting for the best compact camera...Im thinking the panasonic LX3 as its pretty small but I really want to try one out and have been having trouble tracking one down in a store.

The other option is the G11 but it feels a little too big...

Back