Frustrations of film photography

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Yesterday I took my trusty OM2SP out to shoot the last remaining 3 shots left on the film, I was quite keen to get this film finished as I'd taken many pics that I was looking forward to seeing.
So I got to shot 36 then rolled onto shot 37 (Yay getting an extra shot on this film), then rolled onto shot 38 (Hmmm Ilford have been very generous this time), then rolled onto shot 39!!! (Oh S**t I've a bad feeling about this). I rotated the rewind lever and it was not freely rotating so I rewound the film and the tension came off immediately, I hadn't wound the film on properly!!!!!! AAAARRRGGGHHH all that time taking pics completely wasted, I did the same thing a while ago and really thought I'd learned my lesson too.
Always make sure the rewind lever is rotating each time the film is advanced, so easy to do but frustratingly so easy to overlook.
The film is correctly wound on now!!!

I always like to check you can put some tension on the film with the rewind knob right after I've loaded just to avoid this.

LOL! Sorry to hear this, but it's something film photographers only ever do once. Having done it now, you shouldn't have any problems in the future as you will always check the rewind lever to be sure. (y)

Always make sure the rewind lever is rotating each time the film is advanced, so easy to do but frustratingly so easy to overlook.

(y)

P.S. Sorry for your loss... :(

until you use a new (old) camera and it loads differently, eg my old Leicas that it took me a while to feel confident in loading after the ease of SLRs.

We've all done it unfortunately, if you're looking for other ways to be disappointed and frustrated by film photography have a look through this thread.

101 Ways to ruin a roll of film.

The best photos are always the ones that go uncaptured, right? Or... some philosophical mumbo jumbo like that :D Silver lining is that you didn't dev the blank film! :D

We have all been there, part of the joy of film shooting

Silver lining is that you didn't dev the blank film! :D
I did do that once... although I suspect it was me getting muddled between the exposed and unexposed rolls in my bag, rather than one of the several times I've incorrectly loaded the film. Most notably on the TPFC Glencoe trip on the only day when it wasn't raining! :eek:

PS: I find it's most likely to happen when I'm loading in the field, under pressure, eg with a group of people who aren't interested in film photography, ie my family...

Last edited:
Back