Fuji 56 1.2 for candid street shots

Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently moved to Fuji with an XT3 and have bought the 56 1.2 (and 23 f2). How do you find the 56 1.2 for candid street photos? Especially with a shallower depth of field using autofocus? Or do you pre focus/zone focus?

Thanks. It's a lovely lens but the autofocus could be a bit quicker :)

Not used one personally, but can't see how you'd fare very well using pre focus / zone at f1.2 given how shallow DoF is going to be?

Agreed - The AF on the 56 is 'pedestrian' as a certain member here would say :)

It's also too long for me to use as a street lens. I tend to use the 23mm f2 which is lighting fast to AF and with the wider focal length, has more dof for zone focus at f8-11 if I decide to go that way - and I do prefer the flexibility. Lenses with a lockable focus ring (23mm f1.4, 16mm f1.4) would be best if you're a zone focusser because there's no chance of knocking the ring once it's locked.

Agreed - The AF on the 56 is 'pedestrian' as a certain member here would say :)

:wave: its probably quite a bit quicker an an X-T3, but there are quite few relatively large glass elements to move about.

The 23mm F2 is very snappy though. Whether you zone focus or autofocus is up to you, on the latter you also have the S-AF, and C-AF options - and on top of that point or zone, just have a play and see which you prefer.

On the rare occasions that I shoot sheet I use the 23mm (usually on an X100F), normally I set to F4, Auto ISO to 6400 (though I suspect you can comfortably go to 12800 on the X-T3) min shutter speed 1/200th and let the camera do the rest. I usually use single point focus but vary between S-AF and C-Af - still experimenting, but 23mm encourages the use of brave pills, get in close!!!

HIPfest2018 - AmiStrachanPhotowalk3
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

HIPfest2018 - AmiStrachanPhotowalk1
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Probably not what you want to hear but if an 85mm equivalent lens with fast AF is important to you then you should consider other mounts.

I also wanted the classic 35/85 combo and both were rather slow (of course back then there was no 23mm f2 or even XT2). I understand X-T3 is way ahead in AF but the lens itself can't be made any faster.
It'd be nice if they came out with a fast focussing 56mm f1.4.

Planning to hit the streets on Friday with an XT3 and 56 1.2 so will report back

Recently added the 50mm f2 but not had a chance to use it yet but I will see what I can get over the next week if possible.
I have the 56mm f1:1.2 APD but I don’t really think it would be a ideal street lens but then again people use all sorts of focal lengths to shoot street.
Go out and experiment you just might find a compact soon will better ?
You can afford to shoot higher iso to compensate for it being a slower lens unless you are already doing that in low light ?
XC16-50mm go cheap these days 3.5-5.6 and has OIS orperhaps even a XF18-55mm f2.8-4 again with iOS.

I have the 56 1.2 on an XT-3 and find the AF to be snappy enough, I'd say better than my old 5D3 - 85 1.2II L combo.

I have the 56mm f/1.2 and I find the AF to be too slow for street shooting. Portraiture - OK, but for kind of "catching the moment" type of shooting, not really. Only if you pre-focus.

The 56 is very popular with a few street shooters i follow on Instagram, @sixstreetunder @nickpetrides @fuji.street.shooter are 3 that that spring to mind. I personally have just taken delivery of the 50 f2 though as i fancied something with a bit quicker af, but i do look at those 3 guys shots with envy. I'm just trying to get the bottle now to go and try a bit of street :eek:

The 56 is very popular with a few street shooters i follow on Instagram, @sixstreetunder @nickpetrides @fuji.street.shooter are 3 that that spring to mind. I personally have just taken delivery of the 50 f2 though as i fancied something with a bit quicker af, but i do look at those 3 guys shots with envy. I'm just trying to get the bottle now to go and try a bit of street :eek:
I'm sure there won't be anything to choose for 99% of shots. I bought the 56 1.2 just because I wanted the option of the widest aperture, but in fairness I probably prefer the 50 - 140 2.8 for most shots.

I also use the 16-55 for street, I certainly wouldn't class the 56 as too heavy.

I think street photography with long lenses is boring. It should be about getting close to the subject so, my absolute limit is the classic 50mm (35mm on a APS-C system). Something between 24-35mm (equiv.) is perfect.

Really, it's all about the shot that you want to take. Wide angle for when you're up close and want to get some background in. Telephoto when you want some compression.
Saul Leiter shot with a 135mm for just that effect

saul-leiter-3.jpeg

As Saul did in his later years, I mostly shoot with a zoom. Covers all eventualities.

Back