Fuji S5800 cable ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,
As in title, I need to use the cable to transfer images to PC, but I'm not 100% certain of the USB type/size.
I think its a Micro 2.
All this time, I thought I had one in the bag, but it was a different thing.
I need to buy one, so need to know for sure.
cheers folks

Stop, think. You've posted this in the Photography forum - it should be in the Equipment or even better the Computer forum. Let's aim for clarity and avoid clutter. Thanks :).

thanks for the advice. I did look at the equipment forum, but it didn't seem to be what - I thought - I needed.
As to computer forum ? I need to know the usb plug type on the camera,,,, whatever the other end is plugged into.
I'll try my best in the future.

Might be easier to use a card reader. A photo of the camera's USB socket would help identify the exact type.

Cheers Nod,
I was using the inbuilt card reader, but it's playing up - can't read cards. It may be dirty,,,, it may be bu@@ered.
I don't know if there is a card reader cleaner on the market.
Photo of the socket,,,, I can't currently take/upload images, but as soon as I can, I will.
I just assumed that other fuji s5800 owners may be able to tell me.
all the best folks

Last edited:
It doesn't. All it says is "connect using USB cable provided" or similar. There's no decent picture of the socket either.

Cheers Nod,
I was using the inbuilt card reader, but it's playing up - can't read cards. It may be dirty,,,, it may be bu@@ered.
I don't know if there is a card reader cleaner on the market.
Photo of the socket,,,, I can't currently take/upload images, but as soon as I can, I will.
I just assumed that other fuji s5800 owners may be able to tell me.
all the best folks

A decent USB connected card reader won't break the bank (and a USB2 one might even come with a cable that'll fit the camera!)

@moncrief where abouts are you - it's possible someone could pop round with one, if I'm typical I'd guess most of us have got a box of assorted spare cables.

If it’s the ‘stepped’ shape it is mini if the rounded corner it is micro. The camera is 2007 so it can’t be any other than those 3 can it?

on the other hand it may be a ‘dedicated’ connector: http://digital-cameras.support.fujifilm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19531/~/what-kind-of-usb-cable-is-compatible-with-each-camera? which helpfully :mad: does not list the S5800. I suspect it is the ‘dedicated’ like the X10, Amazon appears to list them https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Grade-Fujifilm-Products-Warranty/dp/B008BHZWMA
Personally, I’d do with a new card reader/new card.

Last edited:
THIS might help identify the socket.

Cable / USB:
From that manual, it does look like a Micro - Mini AB (a bit rounded).

Card reader:
I do have card reader/writer/s, but how do I connect it to the camera ?
Don't I need the card in the camera, to record the images onto ?
Then, as I have been doing, taking the card out, and into a reader to upload to PC.

Last edited:
Cable / USB:

Card reader:
Then, as I have been doing, taking the card out, and into a reader to upload to PC

That's all I do, no need for a cable, save the money to spend on other kit ;)

Cable / USB:

Card reader:
Then, as I have been doing, taking the card out, and into a reader to upload to PC.
I’m nearly sure it’s is dedicated (ie FUJI special) version of the USB 2.
Looking back at your post #5 I see you say you were using the inbuilt card reader in your computer which has stopped working. Firstly have you checked the SD card is still good by inserting it into another computer? Regarding the reader, what people here are recommending is an external card reader that plugs into your computer and you take the card out of the camera and put it in that. There are plenty available eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Memory-Card-Readers/b?ie=UTF8&node=430545031
You just need to make sure the USB is of the type you have on your computer — likely the full size original USB.

FLYPHOT: Thanks for your input. As you will see above, the card reader in the camera isn't working.
sphexx: The very first thing I did was check the card in other items (all fine), and other cards in the camera (none workied).
sk66: Thanks for the link. I've ordered one.

I may end up taking it apart (if I can) to see if I can see the prob with the reader. I don't think it's just dirty.
I also need to fit a new cover that fits over the card. Cos it dosn't close, the camera won't work. I can manage to hold it with my thumb when in use,,,, so looks like It should keep this thing working a little longer.

I am hoping to get a new kit on Black Friday,,,,, but over the years, nothing that I want is ever in the sales !?

Thanks to you all for your help and advice.

Last edited:
FLYPHOT: Thanks for your input. As you will see above, the card reader in the camera isn't working.

It wasn't clear to me, I thought you were talking about the card reader in the computer, especially after you'd posted this:

Card reader:

Which kind of suggested to me that the camera is fine (otherwise how do images get from the sensor to the card?).

Anyway, you are where you are with it. good luck, hopefully you'll get it sorted.

sphexx: The very first thing I did was check the card in other items (all fine), and other cards in the camera (none workied).
sk66: Thanks for the link. I've ordered one.

I may end up taking it apart (if I can) to see if I can see the prob with the reader. I don't think it's just dirty.
I also need to fit a new cover that fits over the card. Cos it dosn't close, the camera won't work. I can manage to hold it with my thumb when in use,,,, so looks like It should keep this thing working a little longer.

I am hoping to get a new kit on Black Friday,,,,, but over the years, nothing that I want is ever in the sales !?

Thanks to you all for your help and advice.
Like others I thought you were talking about the card reader in the computer!:confused: . I think one of the commonest faults with in-camera card reader is internal physical damage (bent contacts) for which I think there is usually no cheap cure.

Are you trying to get around the card slot failure by recording directly to computer? I guess it's worth a shot given the price of a cable, but IDT it's going to work.

Are you trying to get around the card slot failure by recording directly to computer? I guess it's worth a shot given the price of a cable, but IDT it's going to work.

I'd be inclined to agree. I'd have thought that if the card reader in the camera doesn't work then that's it, i'm not sure that connecting a cable direct to a computer will mean that the images are downloaded direct (plus, it'd be a bulky kit to carry around ;) )

cheers all.
I ordered a cable on Tuesday,,,, and it was here Wednesday - fabulous service.
I'm sorry if I confused things,,,,, when I'm writing, I understand what I mean ?!?!
The reader in the camera stopped working, so I'm saving images to internal memory, which I can then upload to PC, via the cable, but it's very limited memory size.

I'm getting a new kit,,,, and hoping for Black Friday prices to help - not that it ever has for me.
Have bid on a couple of broken units, to practice opening it.
I'll update here when I have news.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Right - I took the plunge and bought the X-T30 with 15-45 lens - it arrived yesterday.

Does anyone know of a "Quick Initial setup & preferred settings" to get me started please ?

Would it be wise to start another post, or see what happens here ?

cheers for all the advice and help guys.

Start a new thread I should think, because people will only see the original title here.

so obvious when someone else says it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cheers.
Yes, I saw it earlier in my ‘watch‘ list but had forgotten it was a question and thought it was a sales post, then I saw it again In my RSS feed which shows a few lines and remembered what it was about!

Back