The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Are there any good articles/tests about the electronic shutter? I've found it to be a revelation so far, my 23 and 56 have basically been wide open since day one but I don't hear much about the ES (I appreciate it has limitations).

I do find the X-T1 makes some slightly odd auto choices though (well, not that odd, I had a Sony before, that made bonkers decisions when using Auto ISO), such as this...Auto ISO, f1.2, Mech+Elec Shutter and it went with ISO 400 and 1/8500

Morning at the Canal by Harry_S, on Flickr

Very nice indeed :) With reference auto ISO, did you have one of the DR settings switched on? I know what you mean about the Sony auto ISO BTW, any shutter speed you like so long as it's 1/60th second!!

It might be a cheap lens but I think the 50-230mm Fuji works ok at times.

16500731777_d539fabe66_b.jpg

16521883279_7409bd6dea_b.jpg

16085662614_57995dcb0c_b.jpg

I've still not figured out the perfect settings for AF tracking so my in flight shots were a bit pants but otherwise, especially as I got the lens secondhand for £110, I'm impressed.

It might be a cheap lens but I think the 50-230mm Fuji works ok at times.

16500731777_d539fabe66_b.jpg

16521883279_7409bd6dea_b.jpg

16085662614_57995dcb0c_b.jpg

I've still not figured out the perfect settings for AF tracking so my in flight shots were a bit pants but otherwise, especially as I got the lens secondhand for £110, I'm impressed.

Very sharp. Are these cropped?

A bit, probably no more than 20%.

I have been reading a lot of the posts here & other reviews,i am really impressed with the X-T1,i have been considering for a while about selling off all my canon stuff,really debating the move.:)

Really is a hard decision.:(:confused::eek:

Looking at a lot of reviews & you tube reviews they say it is not great in low light.:(

Looking at a lot of reviews & you tube reviews they say it is not great in low light.:(

Really? I have shots at iso 6400 with virtually no noise in them. I'll post a couple of examples when I'm back at my computer.

Andy

That would be great Andy,maybe they are just full of crap on some of these reviews then.:)

Thanks guys,i will have to do more research.:)

This one was at 3200 and 1/56th

How-Rude by andysnapper1, on Flickr

And this one at 6400 and 1/50th

Candles1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Not sure who is saying that the low light performance is poor or why they say that, I have found just the opposite. Neither of the images above have had any noise reduction applied. The only thing I have found so far to make me keep my D7100 is that the autofocus tracking for wildlife is not quite as quick or as accurate and they do not yet have a long enough lens in the line up. I also think that when they do release the 140-400mm it will be too expensive for me so I will carry on with my DSLR for wildlife but for everything else the Fuji is top notch.:D

Andy

Last edited:
AF performance does suffer in low light, you need to open up the AF acquisition box to keep a decent speed and this can lead to focusing on the wrong target due to the much larger area being used. Personally I find the noise at high ISO okay but it's what I expect from a crop camera. It's better than my years old 7D, but not massively so. I've also kept my Canon gear due to lack of long lenses and the tracking performance not being up to DSLR standards in some regards.

This one was at 3200 and 1/56th

How-Rude by andysnapper1, on Flickr

And this one at 6400 and 1/50th

Candles1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Not sure who is saying that the low light performance is poor or why they say that, I have found just the opposite. Neither of the images above have had any noise reduction applied. The only thing I have found so far to make me keep my D7100 is that the autofocus tracking for wildlife is not quite as quick or as accurate and they do not yet have a long enough lens in the line up. I also think that when they do release the 140-400mm it will be too expensive for me so I will carry on with my DSLR for wildlife but for everything else the Fuji is top notch.:D

Andy
Thanks for taking the time to do that Andy,they look great.:)

AF performance does suffer in low light, you need to open up the AF acquisition box to keep a decent speed and this can lead to focusing on the wrong target due to the much larger area being used. Personally I find the noise at high ISO okay but it's what I expect from a crop camera. It's better than my years old 7D, but not massively so. I've also kept my Canon gear due to lack of long lenses and the tracking performance not being up to DSLR standards in some regards.
Thanks for sharing that Julian,much appreciated,I don,t want to keep 2 systems,so if i decide to go for the X-T1 i would sell off all my canon stuff,so it is a hard decision to make.:):confused:

I need to shop around & see who is doing the best deals,saw this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-Fuji...039?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b0ddaa9b7

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that Julian,much appreciated,I don,t want to keep 2 systems,so if i decide to go for the X-T1 i would sell off all my canon stuff,so it is a hard decision to make.:):confused:

I need to shop around & see who is doing the best deals,saw this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-Fuji...039?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b0ddaa9b7

Brand new from Panamoz (if you don't mind grey imports) for £740 or £703 by bank transfer.

Or keep an eye on the Fuji refurb shop OOS at the moment but they come and go, priced at £729 body only less 10% discount code makes it £656 with guarantee. They also have options with lenses.

Brand new from Panamoz (if you don't mind grey imports) for £740 or £703 by bank transfer.

Or keep an eye on the Fuji refurb shop OOS at the moment but they come and go, priced at £729 body only less 10% discount code makes it £656 with guarantee. They also have options with lenses.
Cheers for that Collin,still having a battle in my head about doing the change.:)
Their lenses are not that cheap though.

Last edited:
Cheers for that Collin,still having a battle in my head about doing the change.:)

After a good few years working my way through the Canon range (up to 5DMkII) I made the switch last year. I enjoy using my camera(s) more than I did with the Canon's and it's less of a chore to be carrying equipment with me.

I was doing a few shots of our Two month old Grandson the other day in a fairly dark room and for the first time I missed the focus speed of the Canon bodies. In saying that I'm very happy with the shots I got and I won't be changing back anytime soon.

Cheers Colin,i think i am slowly talking myself into it,depending on getting all my canon gear sold.:)

Beautiful sunrise at 7am this morning, jumped in the car and headed 10 miles to my workplace as there is a field of lambs opposite...just as I got there it clouded over. Sods law, but it did give me an opportunity to try my 50-140mm 2.8 which arrived on Friday. I don't think I've held a better put together piece of camera gear, it's stunning and much smaller than I anticipated. The OIS is obscene, very pleased to now have in my smallish Crumpler a Fuji X-T1, 23mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 50-140mm 2.8 and an X100S...not so long ago it struggled to contain a D750 with Sigma 35mm 1.4 and Nikkor 105mm f2 DC.

Rainbow Wood Lambs by Harry_S, on Flickr

Rainbow Wood Lambs by Harry_S, on Flickr

Excellent loving the lambs.:)

It will get a proper test drive in two weeks at the Goodwood Members Meeting, but no complaints so far.

I'm not sure what Fuji do but they can certainly get that 'full frame look' out of a smaller sensor

I have just been watching some reviews on you tube using ISO 12,800,it was excellent.:)

Panamoz or Fuji refurb as mentioned above with the code are the way to go for cheapest way to get one, I found the high iso good but are you shooting wildlife Jockwav just looking at the profile photo ? theres no super zoom type lens out just yet although there is one on its way and although the CAF is good its not quite as good as a DSLR.

If i was you id try keep both systems before making decision to get rid of the Canon gear.

Are there any good articles/tests about the electronic shutter? I've found it to be a revelation so far, my 23 and 56 have basically been wide open since day one but I don't hear much about the ES (I appreciate it has limitations).

I do find the X-T1 makes some slightly odd auto choices though (well, not that odd, I had a Sony before, that made bonkers decisions when using Auto ISO), such as this...Auto ISO, f1.2, Mech+Elec Shutter and it went with ISO 400 and 1/8500

Morning at the Canal by Harry_S, on Flickr

The odd ISO choice is down to the Dynamic range, if you leave it on auto it generally stays around 400, force it to use 400% Dynamic range and it will insist on shooting ISO800 in the mid day summer sun at f1.4. (Tried it!).

This really makes me crave a 56mm by the way!

Their lenses are not that cheap though.

Fuji have some serious (up to £700) cash back offers on lenses at the mo. There is £100 on an x-t1 body too

It also depends what lenses you want, a lot of the original ones (18/35/60) are cheaper as theres a lot more of them around, especially with all the cashback offers Fuji have been doing.
The newer ones like the 10-24, 23 & 56 are a little thinner on the ground used, although I suspect thats partly a measure of how good they are!

I've been looking at a mirrorless replacement for my D800 but I am loathed to give up the 36mp! I've spent the weekend looking at shots on Flickr and was trying to compare shots of London on various mirrorless (Fuji/Sony/Oly) v some I took with the D800 a few weeks back and at those sizes (internet sizes probably up to about A4 maybe a bit bigger) there seems to be little difference in quality at low ISO's, so much that I think I'm going to look to pickup an X camera of some kind but maybe another X-Pro 1 rather than the XT1 just to see how I get on with it. I do like to print large sizes but the rumoured 24mp sensor coming from Fuji (X-Pro 2 maybe?) would answer that for me I think as its clear the sensor quality and sharpness is excellent.

I would hold out for a Fuji refurb personally, you can sign up for an email alert when they get stock. Mine was £665 delivered a few weeks ago with the 'PAYPAL12' discount code.
I think you might be right.:)

Panamoz or Fuji refurb as mentioned above with the code are the way to go for cheapest way to get one, I found the high iso good but are you shooting wildlife Jockwav just looking at the profile photo ? theres no super zoom type lens out just yet although there is one on its way and although the CAF is good its not quite as good as a DSLR.

If i was you id try keep both systems before making decision to get rid of the Canon gear.
I don,t really do wild life as such,but the lighter camera & better ISO is really attracting me.:)

The odd ISO choice is down to the Dynamic range, if you leave it on auto it generally stays around 400, force it to use 400% Dynamic range and it will insist on shooting ISO800 in the mid day summer sun at f1.4. (Tried it!).

This really makes me crave a 56mm by the way!
I really love the look of the camera.:)

Back