The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something... I'm trying to shoot some macro stuff with a manual lens, as it's stopped down to like f/11 most of the time the image is really dark making really hard to focus. Is there any setting I can change so the viewfinder is always bright and isn't simulating the dialed in exposure?

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something... I'm trying to shoot some macro stuff with a manual lens, as it's stopped down to like f/11 most of the time the image is really dark making really hard to focus. Is there any setting I can change so the viewfinder is always bright and isn't simulating the dialed in exposure?
Nvm I figured it out [emoji2]

Yup, you can set one of the function buttons to 'preview exp + WB' and turn it off from there. I have it set to the top direction pad key on the T1

I wonder is there any arachnophobes in here?

Trying out the 35m 1.4 this time for macro on the ext tubes. I feel that it is very much sharper than the old Helios, but when I stack both rings I am almost touching the creepy-crawlies with the front element.

For example this one - felt like he was going to jump on me at any second as I did bump the lens off of him a couple of times :D This wasn't cropped as such, merely straightened.
_DSF2212 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

A reasonable crop of the same image converted to B&W:
Come closer by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Switching to just the 16mm ext tube makes things a lot easier and you can get more in frame with more working distance:
Jackpot! by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Big Supper by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Refreshment Fly by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

It copes quite well for macro, AF on the 1.4 is nowhere near as terrible as people exaggerate either, all of these were taken using AF, and off-cam flash. And when you consider that this is what you are more likely to get without the ext tubes: Ok, I could get a fair bit closer, but I was capturing a sense of scene here:

The hunt for macro by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Last edited:

Trying out the 35m 1.4 this time for macro on the ext tubes. I feel that it is very much sharper than the old Helios, but when I stack both rings I am almost touching the creepy-crawlies with the front element.

For example this one - felt like he was going to jump on me at any second as I did bump the lens off of him a couple of times :D This wasn't cropped as such, merely straightened.

Switching to just the 16mm ext tube makes things a lot easier and you can get more in frame with more working distance:

It copes quite well for macro, AF on the 1.4 is nowhere near as terrible as people exaggerate either, all of these were taken using AF, and off-cam flash. And when you consider that this is what you are more likely to get without the ext tubes: Ok, I could get a fair bit closer, but I was capturing a sense of scene here:

Great set of shots Keith :)

Very nice set of macro/close up Fujotos Sir, with some fine detail, good colours, and spot on exposure.(y)

George.

Yeah, but muppetry comes to mind...

Bummer, you didn't get any shots of the gig? :/ Easy-mistaka-ta-maka though. You'll remember next time!

I had taken some shots during the day, so thought I`d charge the battery up and left it still in the charger. I will get another chance though, but will double check next time.

Just a simple tourist type Fujoto taken of the top end of the Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben).

I've done a bit of juggling about with the processing to give a high contrast mono presentation and a slightly different approach to that which is normally presented of this very familiar attraction.

X-T2, 18-55mm Lens, 1/450th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Elizabeth Tower (Big
Ben) (M)-03155M
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Love this George.

I had taken some shots during the day, so thought I`d charge the battery up and left it still in the charger. I will get another chance though, but will double check next time.

Get into the habit of putting a spare in your pocket every time you pick the camera up.

Just a simple tourist type Fujoto taken of the top end of the Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben).

I've done a bit of juggling about with the processing to give a high contrast mono presentation and a slightly different approach to that which is normally presented of this very familiar attraction.

Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben) (M)-03155M by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Love the treatment here George

George.

Love how you have done this George.

All this modern gear makes me lazy lol. I just got a Helios 44m-4 and a M42 to fuji adapter. In the 70s AF was not an option for me but now, having used it for years I really can't be bothered with manual focussing and find it a bit of a chore to be honest. Back to AF lenses we go with the occasional MF when needed on those lenses.
I doubt the Helios will be getting any use but at least it's another itch scratched.

Love how you have done this George.

Thank you kindly Sir, I much appreciate you taking the time to reply & comment.(y)

George.

Don't post images here that often but shot this earlier in the week and posted it into flickr
It got Explored much to my amazement
37203160135_28d62c6ce0_c.jpg
EXPLORED "3 Shires Head" X-T1 Samyang 8mm f2.8 lens[/url] by Philip Higgins, on Flickr[EXPLORED "3 Shires Head" X-T1 Samyang 8mm f2.8 lens by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Last edited:
It never ends ... Just realise that YOU make the magic, not the gear ;) You have to realise that we are just spoiled these days. Even with older models, up to 5-6yrs old, we have it handy towards pro's just prior to that. Also we probably don't make good use of 90% of the functions that we yearn so much to possess .... It may seem like I'm advising you this .... actually I'm just trying to convince myself :LOL:

I'm not convinced that my X-T20 is that much better than my X-T10 to be honest. There's better control over high ISO, a bigger buffer etc. The biggest change for me though is the responsiveness. It just feels like there's no lag. And the 35/1.4 is a bit quicker :)

Don't post images here that often but shot this earlier in the week and posted it into flickr
It got Explored much to my amazement
37203160135_28d62c6ce0_c.jpg
EXPLORED "3 Shires Head" X-T1 Samyang 8mm f2.8 lens[/url] by Philip Higgins, on Flickr[EXPLORED "3 Shires Head" X-T1 Samyang 8mm f2.8 lens by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Nice one :)

Just a couple from yesterday, before I went back out.

The Oldest Rocker in Town by David Ore, on Flickr

Sarah by David Ore, on Flickr

Gull by David Ore, on Flickr

I think street suits you Dave, get out and do more ;)

All this modern gear makes me lazy lol. I just got a Helios 44m-4 and a M42 to fuji adapter. In the 70s AF was not an option for me but now, having used it for years I really can't be bothered with manual focussing and find it a bit of a chore to be honest. Back to AF lenses we go with the occasional MF when needed on those lenses.
I doubt the Helios will be getting any use but at least it's another itch scratched.

The Helios is a fun lens, and very easy to focus I find. Before you give up on it, try reversing it over your M42 adapter ... makes a nifty macro.

I'm not convinced that my X-T20 is that much better than my X-T10 to be honest. There's better control over high ISO, a bigger buffer etc. The biggest change for me though is the responsiveness. It just feels like there's no lag. And the 35/1.4 is a bit quicker :)

I notice a huge difference between the 35 1.4 on the xpro1 and the XT-1 even, it's quite sluggish on the pro1, but I still enjoy it on there, I tend to shoot very different with that camera, more relaxed. On the XT-1 I feel puzzled as to why people think it's such a slow lens tbh, I find it pretty nippy.

I found this guy munching on something in the garden, seems he was enjoying it!... no idea what it was but maybe I should be selling it, might prove popular :D

DSCF0773 by SealBeard, on Flickr

Nice :D - Caterpilastics!

Last edited:

George.
Great capture George. Love the details

I found this guy munching on something in the garden, seems he was enjoying it!... no idea what it was but maybe I should be selling it, might prove popular :D

DSCF0773 by SealBeard, on Flickr

Really good Fujoto Sir, with some fine detail, well composed, and nicely lit.(y)

George.

OK then - new bag time! I need to carry my X-T1s, 100-400, 18-55,10-24, 35 and 60mm, Flash, 100mm Square filter kit and food and supplies in one comfy bag. CUrrently have a Kata 123GO i30 which carries the kit OK but is a bit short on lunch space and I find it a PITA to get at gear quickly.

I liked my Naneu Pro bag better, but years of dragging it through bushes has ripped the top compartment so everything falls out! It was a bit snug on kit but held a decent lunch and was amazingly waterproof without using the extra cover.

What would we recommend?

Back