The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Successful experiment me thinks!

Thanks all for the positive comments. It was my normal processing approach for colour cityscapes/landscapes - try presets until I like something then tweak to taste! I really should develop a more controlled approach, but I am very happy with this one. It looks lovely as my screensaver and I'll have a go at printing it this weekend.

Battersea Power Station last night - XT1+16-50+ten stop+some Colour Efex Pro experimentation. Two more in a dedicated thread in Architecture and Urban
Battersea IV by Ian, on Flickr

You really are very good [emoji4]

As everyone else has said stunning work, when people (like myself) hanker for newer kit they should be directed to your shots.

You really are very good [emoji4]

As everyone else has said stunning work, when people (like myself) hanker for newer kit they should be directed to your shots.
I still hanker for new kit though! I've been eyeing an XT2 and a French guy with a Sony A7II joined me while I was taking the wide angle of the power station and I fancy one of those too (camera not French guy). I do agree with the idea of investing more in good shooting opportunities than new kit, though. I took an afternoon off work with the express aim of just getting a shot of the station so I could take my time and wait for the best light. I think that adds a lot more to the shot than more pixels or a sharper lens.

I still hanker for new kit though! I've been eyeing an XT2 and a French guy with a Sony A7II joined me while I was taking the wide angle of the power station and I fancy one of those too (camera not French guy). I do agree with the idea of investing more in good shooting opportunities than new kit, though. I took an afternoon off work with the express aim of just getting a shot of the station so I could take my time and wait for the best light. I think that adds a lot more to the shot than more pixels or a sharper lens.

Wise words

Oh my!!! - this is where I'm going wrong :) I absolutely never have the luxury of time for a considered shot (let alone the ability to produce something like this). Hey ho

Oh my!!! - this is where I'm going wrong :) I absolutely never have the luxury of time for a considered shot (let alone the ability to produce something like this). Hey ho

@SFTPhotography has a few posts showing a series of shots from the same spot and they really show the value of getting the timing right. The light at Battersea was good for maybe 20 minutes out of the four hours I was there.

So today I finally traded the remainder of my Canon kit. I fancied the 50-140, but they didn't have it in stock, and then I saw "it" in the Fuji cabinet.... The new 80mm f2.8.... Wasn't expecting to see one of these, so I used the bulk of the PX against this. I also picked up a carbon monopod, as I seem to have lost mine, and as I'm off to Thailand in January, I also got a Think Tank Airport Advantage.

This brings my Fuji kit up to where I want it.

2 x X-T2
1 x Grip
16mm f1.4
35mm f1.4
60mm f2.4
80mm f2.8
10-24mm
100-400mm

I just need to start thinking about flash etc now (and maybe get out and shoot some more!) I've been considering about taking some time out from work, so maybe I'll actually achieve my goal of catching a UK sunrise!!

So today I finally traded the remainder of my Canon kit. I fancied the 50-140, but they didn't have it in stock, and then I saw "it" in the Fuji cabinet.... The new 80mm f2.8.... Wasn't expecting to see one of these, so I used the bulk of the PX against this. I also picked up a carbon monopod, as I seem to have lost mine, and as I'm off to Thailand in January, I also got a Think Tank Airport Advantage.

This brings my Fuji kit up to where I want it.

2 x X-T2
1 x Grip
16mm f1.4
35mm f1.4
60mm f2.4
80mm f2.8
10-24mm
100-400mm

I just need to start thinking about flash etc now (and maybe get out and shoot some more!) I've been considering about taking some time out from work, so maybe I'll actually achieve my goal of catching a UK sunrise!!

That’s a lovely set up!
Very keen to see some results from the 80mm.

Two 100% crops from the 80mm one at F2.8, the other at f5.6

ISO 1600, RAF converted to JPG in Lightroom, no other intervention. (Light was pretty poor this afternoon...)

80mm Test f2.8.jpg 80mm Test f5.6.jpg

And here's one taken of the Christmas tree in the cafe at NT Cliveden this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get something a bit better if the light improves tomorrow...Xmas Tree 01.jpg

I like that one lots

Cheers Ian!

Thanks all for the positive comments. It was my normal processing approach for colour cityscapes/landscapes - try presets until I like something then tweak to taste! I really should develop a more controlled approach, but I am very happy with this one. It looks lovely as my screensaver and I'll have a go at printing it this weekend.

I liked it on my phone this morning, but it's seriously good on my monitor now I'm home!

If anyone fancies a Metro grip for their X-T10 or X-T20, mine will be in the classifieds soon [emoji106]

Still wharfing it...

Love this one Dave, the bridge to the right gives it some perspective.

My Brother-in-Law works in Canary Wharf and has some brilliant images from there. The water, buildings and background can combine to make something quite different from any other part of the country....

Love those tones, Dave [emoji108]

Cheers!

Love this one Dave, the bridge to the right gives it some perspective.

My Brother-in-Law works in Canary Wharf and has some brilliant images from there. The water, buildings and background can combine to make something quite different from any other part of the country....

I agree, it's a unique location. I was doing a workshop there, and Slawek who was leading it, spotted the potential of the bridge, which I would have walked past, so credit to him! It's a location where longer lenses are more obviously useful, but I don't have many long lenses that are sharp, and compositionally I'm just more a wide to normal person :)

I agree Canary Wharf is a good location.
Last time I was there (Nikon with one zoom lens) I kept getting clocked by security guards. None challenged me but they kept having a good look.
Did you use a tripod Dave?

Last edited:
Really liking this Fujigraph Sir, well composed, uprights upright, some good reflections, and nice colour.(y)

George.

Cheers George, appreciate the comments!

I agree Canary Wharf is a good location.
Last time I was there (Nikon with one zoom lens) I kept getting clocked by security guards. None challenged me but they kept having a good look.
Did you use a tripod Dave?

Actually I carried one around the whole day and never used it! There are places where you could certainly set one up on a Sunday, such as the view from the boats I posted earlier, and some of my group did just that. But most of the time I didn't feel like I really needed a long exposure for the pictures I wanted to take... or else I did but it wasn't really practical to set one up. Around the base of the buildings, where the security men hang out, it's probably asking for trouble, but away down the basin, nobody will be bothered. Others will have more experience of this than I. But the workshop leader is keen on getting people to use a tripod, so I don't think he would propose a workshop in an area where it wasn't possible.

Just a simple close up Fujigraph taken in my studio of a Christmas Decoration/Ornament that my wife designed and made from scratch.

X-T2, 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) Lens, 1/125th @ F11, ISO-200, Multi Studio Flash.
Christmas Dec (1)-03738 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Wonderful, You've a very talented wife.

Wonderful, You've a very talented wife.

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate your reply, and I'll pass your message on to my wife.(y)

George.

Just a simple close up Fujigraph taken in my studio of a Christmas Decoration/Ornament that my wife designed and made from scratch.

X-T2, 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) Lens, 1/125th @ F11, ISO-200, Multi Studio Flash.
Christmas Dec (1)-03738 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.
A talented lady, and a talented photographer.

Love your stuff Ian. Cracking urban landscapes mate.

Thank you (and everyone else for their likes and positive comments). I feel I am getting the hang of urban landscapes at last. Being close to home gives me time to be patient and that is paying off (plus a bit of good luck with the light here and there). I also have a decent workflow for long exposure B&W courtesy of a processing course by Noel Clegg (http://www.noelclegg.com/post-processing-workshops/ - highly recommended). Next, I want to concentrate on improving my more traditional landscapes.

Thank you (and everyone else for their likes and positive comments). I feel I am getting the hang of urban landscapes at last. Being close to home gives me time to be patient and that is paying off (plus a bit of good luck with the light here and there). I also have a decent workflow for long exposure B&W courtesy of a processing course by Noel Clegg (http://www.noelclegg.com/post-processing-workshops/ - highly recommended). Next, I want to concentrate on improving my more traditional landscapes.

I would love to get a better handle on my workflow from B&W LE stuff, but having looked at Noel's courses, they are for Adobe software which I don't use, which is a shame..

With this shot, I was supposed to be on a cityscapes workshop and we were supposed to be taking a food break. Also, 12mm is an unusual length for street photography, there was too much dynamic range for the sensor, and lens flare was definitely an issue. But this is the kind of shot I can never resist having a go at, even if it's a bit of a gamble...

Walk on the wild side
by David Hallett, on Flickr

I would love to get a better handle on my workflow from B&W LE stuff, but having looked at Noel's courses, they are for Adobe software which I don't use, which is a shame..

The course was 100% Photoshop but there isn't anything more complex than blending layers, creating masks and adding gradient layers (plus a bit of optional Nik stuff) which I guess things like GIMP can also do. I'd be surprised if there were many processing courses that didn't rely heavily on Adobe products. Maybe a niche worth exploiting given the dissatisfaction some users seem to have with Adobe's subscription model.

The course was 100% Photoshop but there isn't anything more complex than blending layers, creating masks and adding gradient layers (plus a bit of optional Nik stuff) which I guess things like GIMP can also do. I'd be surprised if there were many processing courses that didn't rely heavily on Adobe products. Maybe a niche worth exploiting given the dissatisfaction some users seem to have with Adobe's subscription model.
More out of curiosity than anything, what about it was specific to long exposure? Or have I misunderstood, and it was really just about mono processing?

Back