Fuji x100/S/T/F Owners Thread

Chapter One: Comments from the lens design team.

1The dual challenge of achieving high performance within a compact body. The solution: Fixed-type lens.

• The X100 was originally conceived as a slim and compact camera for users to take with them wherever they go. When we first began considering the lens design, we examined the many possibilities from a variety of perspectives, for example, the aperture value and lens size in the case of a zoom lens and lens-body combinations in the case of an interchangeable lens system. As a result, we determined that a non-collapsible, single focal length lens was the ideal choice to meet our two goals of achieving the product concept and delivering the high level of quality demanded by professional users.
  • Regarding the focal length, we considered the 135 equivalent of 24mm, 28mm, 35mm and 50mm. For each length, we evaluated the relationship between the F value and lens size, capability to satisfy user expectations, and the breadth of their application. We selected the 35mm lens as the best match for the camera concept.
2Road to the F2 aperture value.

• Designing an F1.6 or F1.8 lens is not so difficult; however, in the case of a digital camera, even if an aperture larger than F2 is used, the light receiving elements on the sensor cannot effectively use the brighter portion of the incoming light because of low incident light gathering efficiency.
  • Also by choosing an aperture of F2, it is possible to achieve a higher MTF* level when the aperture is closed to F4, F5.6, F8, etc. In most photographic situations, we envisage that users will often use an aperture that is 1 to 2 stops higher than F2. Therefore, in designing the lens, we put a priority on capturing superior quality photos with exceptional expression of detail in the aperture range of F4 to F5.6.
  • *MTF: Modulation Transfer Function is an index of the image formation performance of the lens. The value indicates the ability to reproduce contrast over a range of spatial frequencies.
3The double-sided aspheric lens combined with high refractive index glass, results in optimum performance.

• The use of an aspheric lens increases the freedom in lens design; however, it does not necessarily lead to the development of a good lens. For the X100, spherical lens elements are used as much as possible, and one double-sided aspheric lens made by a glass moulding process has been adopted as the most effective element for delivering maximum performance.
  • The X100 lens delivers performance in a compact body, and also boasts excellent results. The shape of the aspheric lens not only provides performance but also ease of manufacturing. As the other lens elements are spherical, a high level of design performance can be achieved when they are actually assembled in the product.
  • High-refractive-index glass is used for all 4 convex lens elements. This is necessary to correct image field curvature and achieve optimum image quality.

45.6mm back focus.

• In the case of the X100, the lens back focus, (the distance between the rear lens element and the sensor), is remarkably only 5.6mm. Incorporating the large-diameter rear lens element in the body and shaving tenths of millimeters from the lens elements and their integration, has also allowed us to retain a very slim and compact design.
  • The sensor has been specially customised just for this lens. Unlike film, the sensors of most digital cameras require incoming light to strike the sensor surface at an angle that is as perpendicular to the sensor surface as possible. Because this is difficult to achieve with a slim lens, the positioning of the microlens on the sensor of the X100 has been customised to allow the capture of light rays with up to a 20° angle of incidence. Without this sensor customisation, it would be necessary to lengthen the size of the lens by 10mm.
5Large-diameter internal lens structure – unnoticeable from the front.

• Exploiting the benefits of a fixed lens, the rear lens element is larger than the front lens element. By giving it a diameter of 27mm, which is about the same as the sensor's diagonal dimension of 28.4mm, ample light volume can be received in the edge areas of the sensor.
69-blade aperture diaphragm and a high-performance lens shutter system.

• In order to capture images with a beautiful "bokeh" effect with the background softly out of focus, a 9-blade aperture diaphragm has been adopted for the X100.
  • The 4-blade shutter achieves a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000s. Because the X100 uses a lens shutter system, the camera is capable of high-speed flash synchronisation.
Chapter Two: The birth of the Hybrid Viewfinder.

1The Inspiration: Reintroducing the pleasure of a high-quality viewfinder on a digital camera.

• When the engineers discussed the features to incorporate into the X100, the first item that was raised after deciding that it must have an exceptional lens was a return to the fundamentals of what makes a great camera and the enjoyment of peering through a high-quality viewfinder.
  • In recent years, photographers commonly frame and confirm their compositions using the LCD panel on the back of digital cameras. However, the display can be hard to see in bright sunlight, and for those who have a deep familiarity with cameras, it was wondered whether such users would like to once again experience the pleasure of shooting photos through an extremely clear and sharp viewfinder.

3The first challenge: Positioning of the aperture ring on the same axis as the lens.

• Throughout the X100 design process right up to its completion, the design team received input from many professional photographers. The objective was to not only create a camera with a beautiful exterior appearance, but also realise operability that would measure up to the work demands of pro photographers.
  • About the time that the overall form and the positioning of dials were decided, several pro photographers strongly urged the inclusion of a 'lens aperture ring.' Without doubt, enabling the user to control exposure – the most important factor in photography, while looking through the viewfinder, is an indispensable function.
  • However, in the case of the X100 with its large sensor, compact body and 'bright' large-aperture lens, the incorporation of an aperture lens ring without changing the size posed an extremely difficult challenge. From a design perspective, the team was initially ready to omit a lens aperture ring, but after carefully listening to the photographers who opened the team’s eyes to why this specification was necessary, they revisited the design with renewed enthusiasm. The result of the design and refinements is the realisation of the current form.
4Design encompassing a tactile experience, the amount of force (torque) required for the controls, and even the sound of camera operation.

• In order for the design to evoke the image of luxury items such as a classic fountain pen or a wristwatch and bring out the quality of its materials while leaving a tactile impression when touching the smallest details, each part is precision milled from metal.
  • Unlike the more generally used method of press fabrication, the milling of metal block material makes it possible to create parts that are free from pressure deformation and processed with high precision to exact measurements.
  • The knurled finish on the sides of the 2 dials on the upper control deck are a good example. Here minute square pyramids have been systematically arranged in 5 rows for a splendid fingertip grip and tactile feel that enables rotation of the dials from any angle with just the right amount of force. It is this milling precision that made possible the design of a dial that produces a satisfying click sensation and is operated with just the right amount of force as envisioned. The gripping and turning of the shutter speed dial by the thumb and index finger and the ability to operate the exposure compensation dial with just the thumb while looking through the viewfinder – the force (torque) to operate each was carefully adjusted based on the size for each dial.
5Die-cast magnesium top cover part is silver in colour and coated with a special compound.

• Strong and lightweight, die-cast magnesium was adopted for the top cover part because of the ease of using this process and material to express detailed curves and shapes.
  • However, this material is usually employed for structural parts inside precision devices. In order to bring out its metallic quality as an exterior part, the processing is extremely difficult. Also there is a risk that even a small error in the silver colour finish will result in a cheap appearance.
  • On the other hand, the top cover part of the X100 should not have a shiny metal finish, but rather evoke a profound sense of steel consistent with its rich historic legacy. As a result of recent advances in coating technology, various compounds can be used to achieve a cosmetic finish for magnesium as well. Until a colour that precisely matched the desired image was found, a wide variety of compounds of coating materials were tried. Starting with systematic combination of materials such 1-1, 1-2, and so on, the team finally found exactly the desired colour in combination No. 8-8.
  • This special compound that creates the distinctive silver sheen finish of the X100 is the product of the uncompromising tenacity and unceasing efforts of the designers and cosmetic treatment technology staff since the development announcement in September 2010.

6Lens markings designed with a specific intent.

• Evoking the look and atmosphere of a classic camera of yesteryear, the front of the X100, of course, does not display the product name or brand name. Instead, this information is engraved on the upper deck and the method of filling in the engraved space letter by letter with enamel is completed by skilled hands.
  • The application of this same method for the lens markings simultaneously reinforces the sense of nostalgia and communicates the high performance of the lens.
  • In order to design these lens markings, various combinations with the X100 lens configuration as well as expressing the universal quality of the markings themselves were considered. As a result, the team arrived at the current design, which is elegantly simple while clearly a polished design statement. Though quite simple in form, the design symbolises the FUJINON LENS SYSTEM and the importance FUJINON places on the fundamentals.

Will certainly get another in the future. I had a x100 classic and felt it needed many changes are improvements.

When the x100f becomes more affordable I will probably have another go

this will be my 7th x100,i also have owned the S and F but their is something I just love in the look of the files with the original keeps making me come back

this will be my 7th x100,i also have owned the S and F but their is something I just love in the look of the files with the original keeps making me come back

But surely the f is much improved or are they still quite similar

Everything bout the later models is improved but i prefer the look of the files coming out of the original

It is odd. The classic X100 was my first Fuji. I sold off my Pentax K5 gear at the time and decided I wouldn't need another camera for about 5 years. A year later I bought the X-Pro 1 and the first set of 3 lenses. The X100 went into an extended holiday (after also being repaired for SAB twice). I have since bought the X100T (since sold) and the X-Pro 2. As wonderful as the newer cameras are, there is just something about the X100 and X-Pro1 that does it for me. The look of the images is one thing but there is also the simplicity, the fact that the histograms and bright frames etc are clearer too. In the last few months I have returned more and more to my original X100 and am loving it!

Lee

Everything bout the later models is improved but i prefer the look of the files coming out of the original

Are you referring to OOC JPEGS or RAW or perhaps both? And for anyone using LR with the X100 Classic RAW files, do you 'Enable Profile Corrections' in the 'Lens Corrections' Panel? I am not sure if LR 'over does' this'.

Lee

I'd love another x100, maybe the F next time. Loved the T and the files..

As I've said on many occasions, there is something 'special' about the images from the original Bayer sensor X100, a reason why I'll never sell mine. I also think that X-Trans didn't really come if age until X-Trans3 (the X100F), and again this camera gas fabulous output, but at the moment there is quite a cost attached to that. I'm fortunate enough to have both.

Are you referring to OOC JPEGS or RAW or perhaps both? And for anyone using LR with the X100 Classic RAW files, do you 'Enable Profile Corrections' in the 'Lens Corrections' Panel? I am not sure if LR 'over does' this'.

Lee

Profile correction is definitely required when using the WCL and TCL adapters, as there is a marked difference between corrected and uncorrected images.

Lee
Both raw and jpeg.
Re LR lens corrections for rawfiles yes otherwise they are already applied in camera as far as i can remember

Last edited:
The F is fantastic, a real upgrade over the T. I had a T for just over a year and the F is just that bit more polished in everything it does.
I had an S but couldn’t get on with it. I now have the F. F stands for “fabulous”.

Omgmy poorbaby

Sounds very complex little camera :

"The camera is a giant puzzle of miniscule parts. There were hundreds of hidden, miniature screws, rods, tape and dabs of glue holding it together. It was difficult to take apart to the point where it turned into a game. I’d stare at the thing for 10 minutes until I found that one screw hidden behind something that held everything together. It would be absolutely impossible for me to put this thing back together.

This how yours will arrive today? :D
This how yours will arrive today? :D
lol it arrived in one pieced you know what, i took a few quick shots with it and looking at the photos' smiled, it just arose from within, not because they were any thing special but it was like coming home.
it actually surprised me the warmth it gave me, like meeting an old friend you hadn't seen for a while.just evokes something inside that no other camera has ever done.

lol it arrived in one pieced you know what, i took a few quick shots with it and looking at the photos' smiled, it just arose from within, not because they were any thing special but it was like coming home.
it actually surprised me the warmth it gave me, like meeting an old friend you hadn't seen for a while.just evokes something inside that no other camera has ever done.
Like wind?

Yes, I get that with the F, and when I had the Pro2.

Last edited:

Right, just sell all your other camera gear, buy a WCL and TCL, some spare batteries, and just enjoy

I don't expect everyone to agree with this but I found it interesting:

https://www.35mmc.com/14/10/2017/fuji-x100f-fuji-lost-sight-elegant-original-concept/

Lee

Lee, I have both an original X100 and an X100F, the reviewer in your link seems to have got hung up on a few things!!! That's not to say the X100 is a bad camera, but in everyday usage and handling the X100F trumps it, but the X100 does make lovely images (as does the X100F)

The F has much better
  • AF (both speed and accuracy)
  • Resolution
  • Handling
  • High ISO capability
  • Shadow Recovery
  • Focus Point Setting
  • Lack of Shutter Lag
  • EVF
  • and the list goes on
But if you can live with the limitations of the X100, then its simply a brilliant camera. Every now and again I take mine out for a spin, as I've said before its a bit like taking a classic car out, its bumpy, slow, but the end result is very satisfying.

Last Time Out with X100
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

anyone or everyone use manual mode and focus with AF/AE lock button?on the X100 that is.
it seems to focus a lot faster for some reason.

Back